Password

Album Review
The Chariot - Long Live Album Cover

The Chariot - Long Live

Reviewed by
The Chariot Long Live
Release Date: November 23, 2010
Record Label: Good Fight
Progression and evolution are two things that have done The Chariot quite well over the bands’ six year existence. Evolution has taken place in terms of the band members that have consistently rotated around the nucleus band member that is Josh Scogin. Progress, though, it hasn’t been drastic from album to album really shows up on the band’s fourth full-length album. Whether it’s including a clip of an old-timey, showtunes-esque song clip midway through a song, Arcade Fire-inspired gang vocal “ooh oh’s”, the use of horns, a hip-hop beat with hand claps, or even the inclusion of harpist Timbre, it’s great to see The Chariot branching out more from their typical metalcore bubble.

Scogin’s vocals, once again, just dominate Long Live. Few other vocalists in this genre evoke the raw emotion and conviction in their delivery (if a studio album doesn’t convince you, do yourself a favor and see these guys live). The background to his maniacal yelps is solid, yet again, as drummer David Kennedy makes his second appearance behind the kit he must have completely destroyed while they recorded this; Jon Kindler once again rounds out the rhythm section on bass (his third go, and now longest member next to Scogin) and gets a few highlights on a couple tracks . Jon Terry (who recorded on The Fiancee) returns and is joined by newest guitarist Stephen Harrison.

Long Live does feature a few guest appearances (both on standout track “David De La Hoz”), by previously mentioned Timbre and Dan Smith of Listener, who’s vocals will definitely bring to mind a Southern accented Aaron Weiss, though more just in terms of the vocal style than that their voices are all that similar.

Lyrically, Long Live is confrontational and unapologetically honest. See “The City” where Scogin painfully screams out “They can take away one man and they can take away his mic, but they can’t take us all. No, they can’t dig a hole the right size to fit all of our dreams. They can’t bury me.” Long Live, indeed.

Track Listing1. Evan Perks
2. The Audience
3. Calvin Makenzie
4. The City
5. Andy Sundwall
6. The Earth
7. David De La Hoz (featuring Dan Smith and Timbre)
8. The Heavens
9 .Robert Rios
10. The King
This review is a user submitted review from Jamos4184. You can see all of Jamos4184's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
12:15 AM on 12/06/10
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
amazing album!
and great review!

saw these guys live last night and they blew my mind!
12:24 AM on 12/06/10
tfot11
User Info.
I saw them in Pittsburgh on the 1st. Josh wasn't there because his wife had a kid the day before (that's what the band said) so the guys from Stray And Cancer Bats did the first few songs and the crowd basically took it over from there. It was awesome. Anyone have photos or video of that show, let me know!
12:30 AM on 12/06/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
I'm really hoping that their tour with Haste the Day will have a stop in Charlotte, it's been way too long since I've seen them live.
12:36 AM on 12/06/10
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
There was a pretty big change in sound from Everything Is Alive to The Fiancee, and same with the latter and Wars and Rumors of Wars. I'm not sure how this album is more of a progression then any of their past albums were.
01:59 AM on 12/06/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
Amazing album, I'd kill to see them live
06:43 AM on 12/06/10
thechetearly
thechetearly
User Info.
such. SUCH an amazing record.
07:16 AM on 12/06/10
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
User Info.
Have to listen to this sometime soon.
08:34 AM on 12/06/10
Jamos4184
www.facebook.com/attalusmusic
User Info.
There was a pretty big change in sound from Everything Is Alive to The Fiancee, and same with the latter and Wars and Rumors of Wars. I'm not sure how this album is more of a progression then any of their past albums were.
Aside from the fact that they didn't record The Fiancee live and they cut out a good amount of the feedback and they added a bit more structure to their songs (not just straight up chaotic madness), I wouldn't exactly say that's a huge change in sound.

Maybe progress was a bad choice of words. Maybe experimenting with different instruments/sounds would have been better.
08:42 AM on 12/06/10
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
number 4 on my AOTY list
09:30 AM on 12/06/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
number 4 on my AOTY list

I admit, I have a few contending with it in the Top 5, but I'm pretty sure this is my #1. I can't stop spinning it.
10:25 AM on 12/06/10
jetblack1231
User Info.
i love the line "I saved my money, but it can't save me" from "the city"
10:43 AM on 12/06/10
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
I admit, I have a few contending with it in the Top 5, but I'm pretty sure this is my #1. I can't stop spinning it.
ascend the hill- take the world but give me Jesus
deftones- diamond eyes
minus the bear- omni

those are the 3 that beat it
10:43 AM on 12/06/10
xsinkshipsx
@alexmacwilliam
User Info.
i love the line "I saved my money, but it can't save me" from "the city"
one of my favorites on the record as well
11:20 AM on 12/06/10
CarouselBoy
Not everything, not yet
User Info.
Quote:
Lyrically, Long Live is confrontational and unapologetically honest. See “The City” where Scogin painfully screams out “They can take away one man and they can take away his mic, but they can’t take us all. No, they can’t dig a hole the right size to fit all of our dreams. They can’t bury me.” Long Live, indeed.

such an awesome line

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version