AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tigers Jaw - Two Worlds Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.28
Musicianship 9.13
Lyrics 9.07
Production 8.95
Creativity 9.28
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.85
Average: 92%
Inside AP.net

Tigers Jaw - Two Worlds

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (11/24/10)
Tigers Jaw - Two Worlds
Release Date: November 23, 2010
Record Label: Run for Cover Records

Waiting to hear a record can be a crazy thing. A lot can happen when you're anticipating a record by one of your favorite bands. The excitement of knowing that they're recording, the little obsessions of their back catalog that you get when you find out the release date, the never-sufficient teasers that whet your palette like the first single and the studio video with the song clips. All of these emotions lead up to the feeling of your heart dropping to your stomach when you find out that the album has leaked or, if you're not the guy to download, the feeling of tearing open the CD wrapping when it finally arrives on your doorstep.

That excitement that you feel, well that's always a great experience for me. It doesn't happen often...only for the most anticipated releases. But it was happening to me for this new Tigers Jaw album, Two Worlds. When Run for Cover announced the release date, I played their self-titled for hours. When Run for Cover sent me the advance, I paced around my living room as my crappy Internet connection downloaded the file. But what can bring that feeling to an end? What can turn your excitement into disappointment so fast? Could it be the weird intro to "Vices" on Daisy? Maybe. Could it be the realization that an 11-song album clocks in at just over 25 minutes? Yes, yes it can.

I felt cheated before even listening to Two Worlds. I didn't even want to listen to it at first. Why, after my waiting, was I only getting 25 minutes of wonderful indie rock goodness? I needed at least half an hour of the sweet vocal melodies that Adam McIlwee and Ben Walsh give to the world and the mesmerizing keys provided by Brianna Collins.

Well, after one listen into the album I realized I was just being an idiot, as I often am. Two Worlds is a phenomenal punk-tinged indie rock record. Although length was a concern for me, I now view the compactness of Two Worlds as a plus. There are no lulls in excitement during the album and it has absolutely no filler.

The overall sound that Tigers Jaw established on its self-titled full length and continued on their split with Balance and Composure can still be heard on this new release, but the band has also progressed and really has become entrenched in its own sound. Collins' keys seem to be much more prominent on this record, and in songs like "Coil/Recoil" and "Test Pattern", the keys are a focal point. Other songs, like the great opener of "Return", "Smile", and the acoustic "I Saw the Wolf" focus on the guitar work. Collins' backup vocals on "I Saw the Roof" are a nice touch to that track, as the song is the only one to surpass the three-minute mark at 3:51.

McIlwee and Walsh continue to be perfect for each other vocally. Their voices are somewhat similar, with both sounding relaxed yet passionate. The vocals are essential to the group's garage-band sound, and the production on this album is ideal. This isn't a band that needs glossy hooks; the rawness on Two Worlds is exactly what makes it so easy to get into. Without even concentrating on the lyrics, the overall sound that Tigers Jaw present can stir emotion.

Two Worlds, while having no truly bad song, has two obvious high points. The first is the duo of "Let Go/Trashed Floor" and "Test Pattern". The build-up and outro of the former begs to be blasted with the windows down, and the musical intro of the latter gives us almost a whole minute of furiously-paced Tigers Jaw instrumentals. On an album as short as this, this minute is so important, so welcomed, so fantastic that it makes the entire record. To me, it's obvious that this is where Tigers Jaw is at its best, and I think I could listen to the group just play instruments for hours. But it's near impossible to deny the gut-wrenching emotion that comes with the cries of "And I don't feel so invisible anymore" on "Test Pattern".

The album's other high point is its end. "Buona Pizza" brings with it the echoed claims of "I can't wait forever", and is one of the catchier tracks that Tigers Jaw has penned. "Static" is unlike any other of the band's songs, and is a welcome quirk that adds to the appeal of this album's shortness. On further listens, I find myself anticipating this track but unwilling to skip any of the ones before it to get there faster. The yelped Algernon Cadwallader-like screams on "Static" (I apologize for not knowing which singer executes them) are the emotional climax to the track, and essentially, to the entire album. Closer "Thank You, Noah Lowry" is a fun listen as well, although it doesn't really have that closing feel.

The result of reaching the end is, predictably, a sense of wanting more. But it's certainly not a bad sense. Tigers Jaw, with its charming sound and blatant disregard for apostrophes, has fashioned a hell of an indie rock record that is something new and something fresh while carefully borrowing from the Midwestern forefathers. Two Worlds is The Get Up Kids meets the band that Brand New never was in between Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu.

This is the perfect album that Tigers Jaw could have come out with at this point in its career. I assume that this band will have many, many more releases to come in its lifetime, as I can nary name a band that I see in this scene with more potential or talent. While I would love seeing this band explode to a much larger listenership, something like that is hard to predict. I will however, say that this band, along with The Wonder Years, is the flat-out most important band to keep an eye out for in 2011. I don't know what their plans are and I don't really think it matters: with their second full-length release, Tigers Jaw has proven itself worthy of my continued support and, if you haven't already given it, your attention.

Recommended If You LikeI already said it as best I can: The Get Up Kids meets the band that Brand New never was in between Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu
Follow Me On TwitterSometimes I tell bands that they can drink free beer at my place if they play in Gainesville.
Bare Essentials1. Return
2. Coil/Recoil
3. Smile
4. Two Worlds
5. Let Go/Trashed Floor
6. Test Pattern
7. Windmills
8. I Saw the Wolf
9. Buona Pizza
10. Static
11. Thank You, Noah Lowry
Run Time: 25.1 minutes
Star Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars
Myspace
Bandcamp - Buy it for $8

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 80.
01:19 AM on 11/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Review is lengthy but band deserves 1000 words.
01:26 AM on 11/24/10
leighm13
User Info.
I really don't like I Saw The Wolf, rest of the album is solid though.
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
I have their self titled but haven't listened yet, I may just listen to this instead.
danielineffigy
Calm will find your soul.
User Info.
Album is awesome and well worth the wait. Kind of lacking in the "vocals you and your friends can affectionately make fun of" department but it's definitely better than the s/t.
01:37 AM on 11/24/10
njsuccessstory
The '59 Sound
User Info.
9 for vocals?
01:45 AM on 11/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Hell yes. Vocals are awesome. I can't even describe them. Album needs more vocals. But not really cause their instrumentals are awesome too. Album needs more everything. But not really because it's awesome as it is. Band is 2good4wurdz.

Edit: But OF COURSE you had to be the guy to comment on a part of the score within the first five comments. :sigh:

Let the hate ensue...
01:52 AM on 11/24/10
njsuccessstory
The '59 Sound
User Info.
Hell yes. Vocals are awesome. I can't even describe them. Album needs more vocals. But not really cause their instrumentals are awesome too. Album needs more everything. But not really because it's awesome as it is. Band is 2good4wurdz.

Edit: But OF COURSE you had to be the guy to comment on a part of the score within the first five comments. :sigh:

Let the hate ensue...

Well I guess that's your preference then. I cannot stand the vocals personally. They are very grating to me. If you are going to rate something this high, you have expect there to be dialogue about scores.
02:01 AM on 11/24/10
gagematt
:)
User Info.
This album is so good and your review was just as awesome. The screams in 'Static' gave me chills when I heard that song for the first time and I'm really curious as to who did them now.
02:08 AM on 11/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Well I guess that's your preference then. I cannot stand the vocals personally. They are very grating to me. If you are going to rate something this high, you have expect there to be dialogue about scores.
I've said it so often and I have no problem saying it now. I barely care about the scores. The most thought that goes into them is usually something along the lines of, I want people to read the review and check this out, so let's make a few of these numbers pretty high. But really, vocals = awesome, band = awesome. If you don't like them then why are you complaining? Just go listen to something else.
02:45 AM on 11/24/10
phillipjacob
@phillipjacob
User Info.
ive been hearing a lot about this band, i think its time i give em a listen
03:31 AM on 11/24/10
NateGolubiewski
So it goes.
User Info.
Quote:
The Get Up Kids meets the band that Brand New never was in between Your Favorite Weapon and Deja Entendu

This line alone makes me love the band already, and I haven't even heard one song yet.
03:45 AM on 11/24/10
tottivillarossi
rockfreaks.net
User Info.
Good review. I had no idea it was that long whilst I was reading it!

(why did you post your Twitter at the end of the review though?)
04:19 AM on 11/24/10
needles & pins
misses Home Movies.
User Info.
This album is so good and your review was just as awesome. The screams in 'Static' gave me chills when I heard that song for the first time and I'm really curious as to who did them now.
I read on Twitter that it's Dennis (bass) doing the screams.

I'm still waiting for my CD to get here in the mail. Very excited to listen with how good everyone is saying it is.
04:45 AM on 11/24/10
S7ranburgLar
We're not for them(and that's cool)
User Info.
gotta get this, self-titled was my playlist of the summer.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests