AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hundredth - When Will We Surrender Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.13
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.13
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 83%

Hundredth - When Will We Surrender

Reviewed by: AaRoNpUnK (11/29/10)
Hundredth - When Will We Surrender
Record label: Mediaskare
Release date: March 30, 2010

So, I understand some people may not like that I have a thing for reviewing hardcore albums and bands. However, I simply review what is important to me, not whatever anyone else wants. That being said,I just want to say thanks to people who like to read my reviews. But enough of that, I'm here to talk about a band that has been making HUGE waves in hardcore music and are defining their genre. I'm talking, of course, about Hundredth. Hundredth is a Christian hardcore band from Myrtle Beach. Their brand of hardcore, while consisting of seering barks, ambient riffs. and the usual modern detuned guitars, is derived and reminiscent of bands like Bane, Lionheart and Have Heart. There debut full length, When Will We Surrender, is spreading like wildfire and I'd like to shed light on why.

The album opens with "Catalysts," which knocks you off your feet off the bat. It surges with busy drums and some of the thickest chord progressions heard in hardcore. While it may sound furious, throughout the song the melodies begin twisting together and it's clear they're determined to craft somethiing meaningful instead of just meat-head hardcore. Vocalist, Chadwick Johnson's, voice is always firing on all four cylinders until during the breakdown (one of the very few breakdowns of the record, to my delight) where Mattie Hastings makes a surprise appearance. The song ends in a fury of gang vocals of bringing hope back into the world again. The following track, "Willows," isnt as fast paced but is just as inspiring with its double timed beat and vocal melodies at the end.

By the time, the third song appears, one thing starts to become apparent: the band seems to enjoy putting catharsis and compassion over breakdowns and gimmicks. It also seems to be apparent that they like to channel older hardcore bands like the ones mentioned above. Being a Christian, its nice to see a band that ditches the things all scene kids adore to realy pour their hearts out. Songs like "Betrayer," "Brighter," and the brutal "Sinking" all showcase the band doing what they do best.

The milestones of this record come in the form of "Betrayer," "Desolate," and "Greater." The first being an emotional roller coaster dealing with the issue of domestic abuse through the eyes of a young daughter. Through the end of the song, it's hard not to be touched by the intense narration of the father commiting suicide while his daughter speaks through Johnson's lyrics: "I will always despise you betrayer. Where is your head? Where is your heart?" These kind insightful lyrics plague the album and make everything so cathartic to listen to. The second, "Desolate," is a steady but gripping song that yearns for God by talking about self-inferiority. This song has become the single for the album and the unofficial anthem for a lot of hardcore circles, and for good reason. My personal favorite song off the record has got to be "Greater," which is because it goes throught the most musical transitions and features the best gang vocals on the record.

While some attempts are forgettable ("Sun" and "Caving"), this album is sure to be remembered and WIDELY accepted by both generations of hardcore fans: older fans who grew up on Shai Hulud and newer audiences with a taste for The Ghost Inside (whose vocalist also appeared as a guest on this record). With Hundredth's honest, faithful and non judgemental lyricism and energetic punk/hardcore, they are poised to show the world why true hardcore just can't die.

Recommended if you like: The Ghost Inside's-Fury and the Fallen Ones; Bane's-Holding This Moment; and With Life in Mind's-Grievances

Download: "Catalysts," "Willows," "Betrayer," Sinking," Desolate," and "Greater" NOW

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:11 AM on 12/06/10
richardliesse
absolutely
User Info.
I liked this review, sucks I'm the only one who really cared to tell you.

I saw these guys at Cornerstone and it ruled, which made me check them out a little bit, but I have yet to really get into them.
09:36 AM on 12/06/10
AaRoNpUnK
fuck the thrill of the chase.
User Info.
yeah man. i love this band. im actually seeing them @rocketown in a few days. and thanks for enjoying. i have more reviews. check em out. ive yet to write a negative one...YET. but neways, thanks :)

I liked this review, sucks I'm the only one who really cared to tell you.

I saw these guys at Cornerstone and it ruled, which made me check them out a little bit, but I have yet to really get into them.
05:30 PM on 12/06/10
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Great band, great album, great review. Saw them with The Ghost Inside and it was one of the better shows I've been to.
09:49 PM on 12/07/10
J Simms
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Glad to see this reviewed. It's only a matter of time until this band explodes in popularity. They threw a ferocious live show on the Scream the Prayer tour. Also, the Christian influence is most excellent.
11:08 AM on 12/08/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
Glad to see this reviewed. It's only a matter of time until this band explodes in popularity. They threw a ferocious live show on the Scream the Prayer tour. Also, the Christian influence is most excellent.

i got to see em at STP in Nashville. such an inspiring live show and band :)
09:23 AM on 12/09/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Crazy good band. I'm waiting for all of the haters to start commenting on this post.
09:35 PM on 12/09/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
Crazy good band. I'm waiting for all of the haters to start commenting on this post.

what would they have to hate on?
04:50 AM on 12/10/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
what would they have to hate on?
Trust me, you know how people are on this website with Christian music. I love Hundredth. The review was awesome. But I'm willing to bet that someone's about to come up in here running their mouth or something like that.
09:18 AM on 12/10/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
Trust me, you know how people are on this website with Christian music. I love Hundredth. The review was awesome. But I'm willing to bet that someone's about to come up in here running their mouth or something like that.

sadly, you are correct. people complain about stupid stuff on this site
02:38 PM on 12/11/10
matthewkyle
User Info.
this band rules. saw them on STP this summer in Seattle, can't wait to see them again soon. such a great sound, and their lyrics are top notch.
05:36 PM on 12/12/10
J Simms
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i got to see em at STP in Nashville. such an inspiring live show and band :)
Very true. That tour was most excellent. It seems that a lot of the bands from that tour are getting recognized now (I, The Breather, The Great Commission, The Crimson Armada) and so is Hundredth.
07:30 PM on 12/13/10
AaRoNpUnK
User Info.
Very true. That tour was most excellent. It seems that a lot of the bands from that tour are getting recognized now (I, The Breather, The Great Commission, The Crimson Armada) and so is Hundredth.

thats a GREAT thing, not a good thing. all those bands are excellent.
09:55 AM on 12/14/10
cainandabelboys
Cain & Abel
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My band Cain & Abel has played with hundredth on various occassions, and each time more and more people get into them. It's great to see a band in the hardcore scene advancing with playing less than 3 breakdowns a set. They are an incredible band and the power of God speaks through them.
www.myspace.com/cainandabelwi
03:43 PM on 12/14/10
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
The whole 'christian' thing in music is annoyingly done by a lot of bands (coughfortodaycough) but at least these guys don't shove it down everyone's throats. Hell, I don't recall them even mentioning they're a christian band the two times I've seen them (and honestly, it's pretty lame that most bands feel like they have to say it every set every night considering the kids who would care about it already know).

But dig the music.

And to the above post, they're not all over the place there's definitely a lot more then "3 breakdowns" per set.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests