AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shins, The - Wincing the Night Away Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.3
Musicianship 8.18
Lyrics 8.07
Production 8.1
Creativity 8.3
Lasting Value 7.92
Reviewer Tilt 8.1
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Shins, The - Wincing the Night Away

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (01/16/07)
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Record Label: Sub Pop
Release Date: January 23, 2007

Something strange happened between the last two releases for The Shins: They got huge. After Natalie Portman said those magical words on the indie hit Garden State, the Albuquerque, New Mexico, quartet’s world was definitely inverted. The small name drop helped The Shins first two albums – 2001’s Oh, Inverted World and 2003’s Chutes Too Narrow – eclipse the million sales mark worldwide. Now four years since their last release, The Shins have aimed even higher with their third album on Sub Pop, Wincing The Night Away. The media views The Shins as this year’s indie darlings, a title held in previous years by Death Cab For Cutie and Modest Mouse. With that being said though, James Mercer and company did not write an album for mainstream success. Instead, the band took more risks, thus making Wincing their most unique album to date.

The album begins with “Sleeping Lessons,” with echoed vibes pulsating up and down throughout your head and Mercer’s smooth falsetto flowing seamlessly with them. After two or so minutes, the rest of the band jams in, playing their familiar indie pop sound. “Australia” is a peppy track, as Dave Hernandez doesn’t miss a beat with his bass. “Pam Berry” is a low, menacing track that leads into the first single, “Phantom Limb.” Beginning with a low reverb, Mercer gracefully strums the guitar, as the song has a relaxing aura about it. “Sea Legs” holds a dreamy state of mind, as Mercer and company channel some of Radiohead. From the moody bass line to the offbeat drumming of Jesse Sandoval, the track is a welcomed change from the usual. On the lullaby “Red Rabbits,” keyboardist Marty Crandall really shines and really is the unsung hero of this record.

“Turn On Me” brings the indie rock, where Mercer shows his guitar skills, while “Black Wave” is very atmospheric and dark folk song. Mercer’s voice is nicely layered with echoes throughout the track as well. The cryptic “Spilt Needles” follows, as Mercer’s lyrics caution “We’ll set you up with some odd convictions/because you’re finally golden, boy.” “Girl Sailor” is a love song heavy on emotion, while the album closer, “A Comet Appears,” falls upon your ears with gentle strumming of the guitar and Mercer’s calming voice. It finishes the album on a somber note, yet sums up the general feelings of the album and Mercer in particular.

The inspiration for the title of this album comes from Mercer’s sense of isolation during the stressful periods of writing this album and how he needed to wince the night away. It must have been very taxing trying to write a follow up to an album many consider to be amazing, but The Shins did a grand job following Chutes. It would be ridiculous for fans to put this album off, as it is a display of different techniques and writing from Mercer this time around. At one of the most crucial points in the band’s 10 year career, where they are teetering on the edge of major mainstream success, The Shins decided against writing the “safe” record and wrote the first truly fine album of 2007.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Sleeping Lessons
2. Australia
3. Pam Berry
4. Phantom Limb
5. Sea Legs
6. Red Rabbits
7. Turn On Me
8. Black Wave
9. Spilt Needles
10. Girl Sailor
11. A Comet Appears

The Shins are:
James Mercer – vocals/guitar
Dave Hernandez – bass
Jesse Sandoval – drums
Marty Crandall – keys

Release Date: January 23, 2007
Record Label: Sub Pop

Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38.
01:19 PM on 01/16/07
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
Great review. I really dig the album, defintely gives me rpg playing vibes. Can't wait for the release.
01:23 PM on 01/16/07
Manbotisdead
speaking hot fire
User Info.
I heard the album title is actually based on his insomia, im not sure though.
01:37 PM on 01/16/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review Droob. I agree.
01:43 PM on 01/16/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
I heard the album title is actually based on his insomia, im not sure though.
Sense of isolation, stress leads to insomnia, so it all works.
01:51 PM on 01/16/07
FOBPrettyNPunk
Registered Member
User Info.
Nice review.
02:00 PM on 01/16/07
newfoundnorcal
giving it a little bit more
User Info.
go drew! good job.
02:07 PM on 01/16/07
Trent Gill
willreadbooksformoney @ tumblr
User Info.
Good job, Drew. It is truly an excellent record; upon first listen I expected more, but since it has grown on me so much -- I appreciate every minute of it now.

/ By the way, the title is also a play on "Twistin' the Night Away" along with James's crippling insomnia.
02:18 PM on 01/16/07
.ChristOpher.
Oh, Inverted World
User Info.
Nice review. The Shins are king.
02:19 PM on 01/16/07
Gabe Gross
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Aren't they from Portland, Oregon? Am I missing something?

I agree it's not safe, but it's not the classic Shins fans have come to love--a little dangerous to go this avenue but I think they pulled together fantasticly. I hope to see them go back to an Oh! Inverted World sound on the next album. One of Sub Pop's truly great bands.

7.5 / 10
02:27 PM on 01/16/07
ashesofapril234
Spicher
User Info.
I really can't wait for this album, this is prolly gonna be one of my top albums of 07.
02:28 PM on 01/16/07
OveriseFan
is not Oversized...
User Info.
It's hard to believe it's been four years...

It doesn't seem it.
02:37 PM on 01/16/07
lightcollapse
on the edge of summer
User Info.
i fucking love this album, great review
02:49 PM on 01/16/07
PlusDanny
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's actually called Spilt Needles. Split was from the leaked versions. The Phantom Limbs single has an alternate version of that song and another b-side called Nothing At All on it. Can't wait to get my hands on that!

The lyrics would have been one of my highest ratings out of anything on the album. I think that's where The Shins always shine and that has me coming back way more than the music in general. They lose the thought-provoking and imaginative lyrics and they've lost me even if they are splendid ear candy. Luckily, they've still got it and hit every mark! It has been a long, long four years. This is coming from someone who saw Garden State because The Shins music was featured in it (and Natalie Portman). ;)
02:55 PM on 01/16/07
Beyondclarity
User Info.
I do enjoy the album - it took a few listens as it is a departure from their last record. But it is the perfect sort of growth and challenge I expect a band like The Shins to make.

The review was boring however. Reviews that talk about tommy's brooding voice over allen's thumping bass and the beat skin sound of jared...rather lame. Simply using a thesaurus doesn't make a quality review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests