Username
Password
Lovedrug News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Lovedrug
Inside AP.net

Help Finance Lovedrug's Album

Posted by: Alex DiVincenzo (12/01/10)
Lovedrug are asking fans to help finance the recording of a new album, with a number of packages available for purchase. Details can be found here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:22 AM on 12/01/10
RIPFenixTX
User Info.
I really don't know how I feel about this new trend of fans financing albums for the bands they like. Isn't that what we are doing when we buy the album? I think it's just too risky for the fans to put money into something they haven't heard and hope that the final product will be something they actually like
11:41 AM on 12/01/10
Ryan Rumsey
Good Business Moves
User Info.
I really don't know how I feel about this new trend of fans financing albums for the bands they like. Isn't that what we are doing when we buy the album? I think it's just too risky for the fans to put money into something they haven't heard and hope that the final product will be something they actually like
I agree. On the other hand, this is one of my favorite bands and I want to see them succeed. There are few bands I trust enough to help out like this.
12:29 PM on 12/01/10
TheNewBlack88
We'll say no to love, yes.
User Info.
With all due respect to any band who might do this, this is a horrible idea. To me, it just highlights how poor of an industry this is right now. What if C-list directors started asking us to fund their indie flicks so we could turn around and pay ten more dollars to see them? Not okay.
12:53 PM on 12/01/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
With all due respect to any band who might do this, this is a horrible idea. To me, it just highlights how poor of an industry this is right now. What if C-list directors started asking us to fund their indie flicks so we could turn around and pay ten more dollars to see them? Not okay.
They already do. Indie filmmakers use sites like Kickstarter all the time, offering anything from eventual DVDs to walk on roles to producer credits.
12:59 PM on 12/01/10
RunningFool
Hurry up with my damn croissant
User Info.
01:10 PM on 12/01/10
rjmoz87
The Total Package
User Info.
Funeral For A Friend did this with their latest EP and I think they are doing it again for their next LP. It's an interesting concept, but will help the bands get music to their fans.
01:36 PM on 12/01/10
harveyn590
User Info.
I think whats even weirder is that they have a publicist and their whole team still intact. I feel you shouldnt ask your fans for money unless you really need to. show them respect. The only ones who are going to donate are the ones that are already dedicated and buy cds, merch, and spread the word on their own. Still, if its do or die a band should do it.

but when you still have money to pay for a publicist, manager, booking agent do you really need to ask your fans? I dont know maybe im naive.
03:11 PM on 12/01/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
yup. came here to say that is was a duplicate
04:51 PM on 12/01/10
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
User Info.
Not a fan of this. The Graduate paid for the entire recording process of Only Every Time and they were labelless while they did it. I think if a band is passionate about what they do then they shouldn't have to panhandle and try to get money out of the people that already give them money. Just work and pay for it yourself and if its a good product, the fans will buy it.
11:39 PM on 12/01/10
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
I think it's a pretty cool concept if it's done right. I'd definitely feel a deeper connection to an album knowing I helped finance it. And I think it's nice that there's an incentive to donate, and you're not just giving them your money and getting nothing in return. If I was in a position where I had money to give, I would definitely help out.
11:09 AM on 12/02/10
amosrock
There's Nothing To Lose
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think this is a terrible idea. I have always been a huge fan of lovedrug...but there are better things they should be asking people to use their money for. Forget cancer research...give us money! The fact is the priorities for a lot of people in America are seriously skewed. People shouldn't be spending their money financing someone elses album when they could be using it to do some good in the world. Tell lovedrug to get jobs like every other band with no money for studio time.
02:11 PM on 12/02/10
honestykills
User Info.
Not a fan of this. The Graduate paid for the entire recording process of Only Every Time and they were labelless while they did it. I think if a band is passionate about what they do then they shouldn't have to panhandle and try to get money out of the people that already give them money. Just work and pay for it yourself and if its a good product, the fans will buy it.
This.
05:22 AM on 12/07/10
tfuzz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think whats even weirder is that they have a publicist and their whole team still intact. I feel you shouldnt ask your fans for money unless you really need to. show them respect. The only ones who are going to donate are the ones that are already dedicated and buy cds, merch, and spread the word on their own. Still, if its do or die a band should do it.

but when you still have money to pay for a publicist, manager, booking agent do you really need to ask your fans? I dont know maybe im naive.
Did you actually go and watch the video at www.IamLovedrug.com?! It sounds like they really do need the money and they do a good job explaining why. And based on what they're offering it doesn't seem like they're asking for a handout at all; they are giving a lot of songs, videos and other stuff away. They are earning it. A $15 pledge gets a digital copy of the record plus around a dozen songs and videos so far and it's not even halfway over.

Also, what makes you think they still have a publicist or anything? Agents and managers only get paid if the band makes money later, so they typically drop a band that isn't making money, don't help at all, or work really hard for nothing because they believe in the band.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums