AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 10 posts
08:11 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
I'm assuming Kanye wasn't included here because his album was released too late in the year?
Anyway...Big props to Arcade Fire for getting into the AOTY category. All the other albums suck, real talk.
08:16 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
The other nominations are god awful.

Sufjan Stevens and Kanye West should have been nominated, but I guess that's a pitfall of releasing an album late in the year.
Kanye should get in next year. T-Swift won last year with an '08 release.
08:42 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Strong? The Black Keys was good, but Vampire Weekend? Arcade Fire? I work at a small indie record store, and when those two are played customers complain and leave. Terrible
Good for you. You keep fighting the good fight against hipsters. These things really matter.

Anyway, Contra was fantastic, hope it wins that if Arcade Fire wins AOTY--which they won't, sadly.

Also, was anyone else mildly disappointed Gaslight Anthem didn't get a nod somewhere? I mean, I definitely wasn't expecting it, but I thought maybe with all the attention they received...oh well.

By the way, full results are here.
09:18 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
So you don't support music? Because I'm pretty sure artists have to make money too. Also, sorry if I didn't care for Contra and The Suburbs. Guess that qualifies me as a "doucher" lol You people get way too defensive if someone's opinion doesn't agree with yours
Quote:
I'm about as un-indie and un-hipster as it gets.
So you say yourself you hate hipsters and you work at an indie record store?
Okay, well I'm a vegetarian that works at McDonald's. Makes sense right?

I support music, but don't support buying it from people who make you feel small or cut down your tastes (I.E - you and countless other indie record store employees).
I'm very sorry if that happens at your record store, because it certainly isn't the case at the one I frequent. Saying you steal music so as not to support hipster record store clerks though is ridiculous.
09:24 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
That was such a terrible analogy. I wasn't aware hipsters were the only people who listen to music
No, but they frequent indie record stores in high numbers. Whatever. I realize this argument is stupid anyway. I hope your record store stays in business despite the fact that you're a douche--and I'm not saying that because you disagree with me. I'm saying that because you yourself are obviously an elitist in your own right who despises all things related to "hipster indie nerds."
09:31 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Elitist? lmao. I don't like elitists, who happen to usually be pretentious snobby indie kids who have a holier than thou attitude about anything they like. I didn't say those albums and artists sucked. I said I personally did not enjoy them. That is not an "elitist" attitude by any means. Also, no they usually don't frequent the record stores in high numbers, because you can't download it for free there.
I called you an elitist in your own sense, which doesn't make sense exactly, I understand. What bugs me is people who assume that anyone who listens to "indie" or "hipster" music thinks everyone else's opinion is invalid. If you fall in the category of people who think this, kindly identify yourself. Otherwise let's move on because I've started a dumb argument.
09:42 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
I wouldn't say "every one" does, but a lot of people on this site get all up in arms if a post disagrees with them. That is what sparks that opinion. That opinion is justified. However, I know stereotyping is wrong, but the majority of people on here act that way. Me and You disagree. Nothing me and you can do about it. The response shouldn't be "jump to an argument" and put someone down. You did start a dumb argument, but we can move passed it. I respect your opinion, and that's that.
Yeah, okay I agree with that actually, if you're talking about people on this site. But they're more likely to say that about The Wonder Years or something than some indie shit like Deerhunter. Opinions are opinions, people don't get that often enough.
09:59 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Yeah man. I mean, every single person has their own, original, personal opinions and views. People get too offended by an outside view on here. If 9/10 people liked The Suburbs, all 9 will jump on the 1 who didn't, as if he did something wrong. Oh well. Nice Springsteen avatar btw!
Thanks man. I still contest that if your outside view is "Four Year Strong sucks" you're more likely to be ripped to shred on this site than if it's "Arcade Fire sucks," but whatever. Same principle.
10:25 PM on 12/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
And this is why I hate this site sometimes. While I love FYS and some other pop-punk bands, the genre is taken way too damn seriously here. I could say Blink-182 is horrible and I'd be mobbed by hate because they're apparently golden gods. Makes no sense to take a pretty light-hearted genre so seriously..
Thank you very much. I honestly almost don't like The Upsides anymore because of people's stupid obsession with it on this site.
11:04 AM on 12/02/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
You know indie means independent, right? As in, not FYE or Best Buy music store. Not like... a store that only specially sells the indie-genre of music. Sorry this was just pet-peeving me that you thought that.

This was also bothering me. His initial statement which you replied to was that "customers complain when we put it on". Customers. Not the employees. Jesus, I don't even know the guy and you are seriously judging the shit out of him based on no facts other than your idea of a pretentious hipster record store clerk you probably saw once.
That was absolutely not the point of the argument. We settled our differences and moved on. Kindly read a complete argument in context next time before you choose to insert yourself into it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos