Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Five and Alive: Dripping Wax in 2010

Posted by: Adam Pfleider (12/03/10)
This week's Five and Alive is a double dose from The Saddest Landscape. Head here to read up on five tips about getting your tunes waxed. Keep scrolling down for the band's top five favorite vinyl releases this year as well. Hit the replies and let us know which releases you were stoked on getting this year. If you've just started collecting, what awesome used vinyls did you snag this year? Thanks for keeping the tangible medium alive. Want more thoughts from TSL? They've got their own vinyl blog too.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
11:03 AM on 12/03/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
my five would be:

Converge's Jane Doe (2xLP) repress - looks and sounds so damn good. So glad I finally have this one on vinyl. Loved the larger than life layout and gatefold. The best thing? The A,B,C,D is labeled J,A,N,E.

Fang Island's s/t - Pretty simple stock and layout. The one thing that blew me away? The fireworks on the inside of the sleeve. Talk about attention to detail.

Portugal. The Man's American Ghetto - Probably the best sounding album I've picked up this year. I know there's a lot of talk of simply putting the compressed files on vinyl and losing the original intention of pressing your music on the dead format. This one just simply sounds awesome.

Touche Amore/La Dispute's Searching for a Pules/Weight of the World - I remember Vass telling me about the layout at SXSW this year and then saying it was switched up a bit later. Either way, this one came out completely awesome. Great songs from great bands in great packaging.

Glassjaw singles - Not only glad we're getting some new recordings, but I like the GJ cut and simplicity of the singles. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, just waiting to grab a copy of "Stars" and the one this month.

Also, I missed out on the glow in the dark TSL/PBTT split...bummed, but asked for the regular one from Santa this year...
04:25 PM on 12/03/10
Mochem
User Info.
My five:

Lizzie Huffman - Lizzie Huffman & Her Brother Band 10" - Something about the combination of the red color, the size, and the labels makes me love holding and looking at this record. And the songs are damn fine to. If her name looks familiar, it might be because she's the (better sounding) girl in Razia's Shadow who isn't Greta Salpeter.

Touche Amore/La Dispute - Searching for a Pules/Weight of the World - Adam pretty much covered it. Enough said.

Dreamend - So I Ate Myself, Bite by Bite - When this record spins around on your turntable, it's animated like a phenakistoscope. If you know what that is. Basically you can see a dude reaching into himself and eating his insides. Very cool.

Someone Still Loves You, Boris Yeltsin - Let It Sway - I love SSLYBY. I love 180 gram vinyl. I love peach (both the color and flavor). So this release caters to me very well. I'm assuming it doesn't taste like peaches, but the color of the record is still beautiful.

Tigers Jaw - s/t (RFC repress) - One of my favorite albums of all time got repressed by this awesome label. If you can't tell, I'm a sucker for colored vinyl. Orange is the perfect color for this record. It goes well with the delicious looking pizza on the cover, and fits with the Tigers Jaw name.
04:21 AM on 12/04/10
Ponyboy
i'm stayin gold
User Info.
this needs more comments. and this band needs more love. One of my favorite splits is the saddest landscape and trophy scars. I treasure it
01:46 PM on 12/04/10
Mochem
User Info.
this needs more comments. and this band needs more love. One of my favorite splits is the saddest landscape and trophy scars. I treasure it
Agreed. That TSL/Trophy Scars split was the first split I ever bought. And actually one of the first records I ever bought. I love it.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests