AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Signal Home - A Fragile Constitutional Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9
Creativity 3.88
Lasting Value 4.88
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 72%
Inside AP.net

Signal Home - A Fragile Constitutional

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (01/19/07)
Signal Home - A Fragile Constitutional
Released August 22nd, 2006
Carbon Copy Media

Who?

Newcomers to Carbon Copy Media put their own twist on punk-rock with their recently released full-length, A Fragile Constitutional. With a sound that harkens back to the likes of Hot Water Music and Foo Fighters, it’s no wonder they’ve breezed through over 250 shows and have garnered a growing fan-base in the mere two years of their existence.

How Is It?

Emotional, frantic, and punk-steady enough for Fred Oakman’s granular, almost screamy, vocal tendencies to not be completely unwarranted, Signal Home are another striking addition to JT Woodruff’s already notable label. The twelve songs featured are well-balanced, but no individual song strikes me as “single worthy”. The totality of the record, in all of its energy and finesse, is what it will be remembered by, differing from albums that are made by a particular song. Oakman’s grate, previously mentioned, is what will stand out; calling on similarities to Dave Grohl and his signature elongated “vein popping out of neck” chants almost immediately. Other than the vocal department, the band really doesn’t take any other risks, akin to label mates Ellison. But, just like Ellison, they capitalize on the already established, highlighting each song’s drive more than most in the genre. They are, on the other hand, verging on a truly impressive post-hardcore feel (“Seaside”). Even the standout track “Red Auxiliary Numbers” has some menacing undertones in the screamo delivery of, “I know you got so much potential!”

Fra-gee-lay. That Must Be Italian: “The Churches”, “Red Auxiliary Numbers”

A Little Bit of Everything. Specifically: Foo Fighters, Alkaline Trio, Lifetime, Jawbreaker, Hot Water Music

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
11:38 AM on 01/20/07
PlasticSpastic
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This review sucks. A point you actually wanted to make was how there are no singles? Ellison takes risks?
03:29 PM on 01/20/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
This review sucks. A point you actually wanted to make was how there are no singles? Ellison takes risks?

What are you asking? Are you questioning me on saying Ellison doesn't take risks? I love the band, but they arent the original. Anyone with an ear can tell you that much. And I think I made my point clear enough on how I think the album as a whole is good, not just one song.
06:51 AM on 01/25/07
LocalBandBitch
*Pretty As A Car Crash*
User Info.
I love this album, Signal home is point blank amazing
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives