AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (01/19/07)
Ferocious Eagle - The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty
54 or 40 Fight Records

Who?

Portland oddballs, Ferocious Eagle, utilizing angular-rock ethics in their recent release of The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty. Being primarily guitar based and largely experimental calls similar bands such as Polvo and Deerhoof to mind, though they maintain the appeal of Cake, sans a more radio-friendly slant.

How Is It?

Although Ferocious Eagle alternates between noise-rock (“Dinosaur”), indie-rock (“The Sea Anemone…”), instrumental (“This Song is a Train Wreck”), and a mix of the above (“Rape Whistle”), the album still scrapes to keep attention. While their adept musicianship is undeniable, the vocal and lyrical sensibility of Less Pain Forever and the guitar tuning/mathy instrumentation of Polvo’s infamous Today’s Active Lifestyles mix for less than stellar results. The album’s title track seems to be the most focused and sadly digresses from there into uninspired noise-rock, clumsy guitar work, and obtuse song progression (“I Just Don’t Care”). You may get into The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty, but it’d be a stretch to come back to it more than a few times.

Willamette Week Describes Them As “Ferocious-As-Fuck”: “The Sea Anemone Inside Me Is Mighty”, “This Song Is a Train Wreck”

Better Check The Following Out First: Polvo, Cake, Hella, Deerhoof

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums