AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
True Things - Alone In My Room Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7
Production 6
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.63
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.88
Production 7.63
Creativity 7.44
Lasting Value 8.19
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

True Things - Alone In My Room

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (12/05/10)
True Things - Alone In My Room
Record Label: Lost Tape Collective

In the realm of poppy pop punk, bands come a dime a dozen. Aside from the (growing) handful of groups that truly separate themselves from the rest of the pack, it comes down to personal taste to choose through the rest. My personal taste has grown fairly fond of New Jersey's True Things, and fans of Man Overboard might find themselves agreeing with me after a listen into their first full length, Alone In My Room.

On its first release for Lost Tape Collective, a label run by Man Overboard, True Things (featuring two ex-I Call Five members) focuses on a pop punk style dominated by strong bass lines and good guitar hooks. The record isn't very long, totaling out to just over 20 minutes including a 19-second opener. That opener, "Relax", is a fairly hilarious voicemail message that really should only embarrass whatever girl left it on whatever boy's cell phone. Anyway, that introduction leads into the instantly infectious "Jefferson". Furiously paced drums by Brand Wood keep things moving while the James Corbi's high-pitched vocals make for a great hook.

Not every song on Alone In My Room is good, but standing at 20 minutes, you basically listen to the whole thing before you even have time to press the skip button. Catchy choruses on songs like "Penn to East" and "Take A Chance" leave me scratching my head over some more forgettable moments during the course of the record. The latter is probably the best song on the album, and a good core of songs is formed along with the tougher-sounding "Hollowed Out" and "Dead Weight".

True Things might not be making too much noise right now, but they have the potential to. With their first release, the band has shown the ability to write extremely catchy hooks, and the vocals are strong enough to get the job done. Without the strength in the vocals, True Things' sound would fall largely on deaf ears. The rhythm section, with fast-paced drumming and above-average bass lines from Mike Wolk, is another strength of the group. Just another good thing to keep your eye on coming out of New Jersey.

Recommended If You LikeMan Overboard, Saves the Day

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
12:13 AM on 12/06/10
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
good review, i liked this record but i think their next one will be a lot better.
04:52 AM on 12/06/10
jpd19125
Screw Flanders
User Info.
<3 james corbi
05:17 AM on 12/06/10
fothermucker
Show's over, mother fuckers.
User Info.
One of my favorites of this year.
07:22 AM on 12/06/10
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Jefferson is such a good song.
07:23 AM on 12/06/10
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Definitely deserves a higher rating. Every song on this ep rules.

Corbi was telling me about some of their future plans, and his description of what the new songs sound like sound really awesome. I can't wait. This band basically embodies the whole pa/nj scene
08:06 AM on 12/06/10
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
who is the "other" ex member of I Call Fives?
08:36 AM on 12/06/10
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Can anyone with a physical copy tell me who produced this?
09:33 AM on 12/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
who is the "other" ex member of I Call Fives?
Brandon.

Also yeah, Corbi said the new songs should be a little harder. Excited to hear that.
09:44 AM on 12/06/10
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Brandon.

Also yeah, Corbi said the new songs should be a little harder. Excited to hear that.
Harder but also with slower melodic parts. "Lifetime + Deja Entendu"
09:52 AM on 12/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Harder but also with slower melodic parts. "Lifetime + Deja Entendu"
We had the greatest expectations. You don't drop that album name without having some faith in yourself I guess.
09:53 AM on 12/06/10
IBurnTheRopeI
James C.
User Info.
Can anyone with a physical copy tell me who produced this?

Nik form Man Overboard and I did most of the production work at Small Hill when we tracked the record.
09:55 AM on 12/06/10
more heart
Get Hurt
User Info.
I'd rate it higher myself, but not a band review by any means.There's obviously weaker songs, but I enjoyed this record. And I'm really stoked to hear James Corbi in another band.
10:00 AM on 12/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Nik form Man Overboard and I did most of the production work at Small Hill when we tracked the record.
You need a blue name. Remind me about this next time we are talking because I'm walking out the door.
10:00 AM on 12/06/10
ianpritchard
psnoak.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Awesome, you guys have gotten good since recording the Transit/ManO split. I love the double vocal with a bit of distortion on the lower one on Jefferson. (Well, I don't know if you had anything to do with the split, but Nik sure has gotten better).
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums