23) Bad Religion - The Dissent Of Man
24) Mount Kimbie - Crooks And Lovers
25) Sage Francis - Li(f)e
26) Maserati - Pyramid Of The Sun
27) The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
28) Raised By Swans - No Ghostless Place
29) Caribou - Swim
30) None More Black - Icons

My list this year leans heavily towards the instrumental, minimal and electronic with only a few all out rock records making the cut. This is something I expected as I have started to expand my musical horizons in the last couple of years and slowly but surely falling out of love with the music I grew up on, punk rock, indie and hardcore. Not that I still can't enjoy them as some of my choices reflect, I just don't have the same connection to it anymore.

If you are not familiar some of these bands, feel free to drop me a PM or a reply at the bottom and I would be happy to give you a RIYL or a link to check them out.

Disappointments of 2010Minus The Bear - OMNI
Alkaline Trio - This Addiction
Jimmy Eat World - Invented

I know OMNI pleased many but I was certainly not one of them. One of the few major letdowns in recent years for me. The new Alk3 cemented my thoughts that I am slowly growing out of their genre. Just did nothing for me. I'm not bitter about it, just is what it is. And Invented...oof, I don't know. It pains me to say that I didn't enjoy a JEW record. But Invented felt forgettable as any and the production on some of the songs was OTT. Still a class act and band though, that's for certain.

Still waiting for anything new from Blink has been less a disappointment, more an annoyance. I mean, a 30 second snap would do me just fine that's how ridiculous it's been getting to me.

even though they are on my top 30 list;
The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
God Is An Astronaut - Age of The Fifth Sun

Even though I enjoyed those two albums I couldn't help but feel I was short changed. American Slang was a good listen top to bottom but I cant help but feel that in 5 years time I will struggle to remember a single song off the record.

As for God Is An Astronaut. I just want them to make a record that isn't identical to their last three. Solid music, just getting a bit old now.

Surprise Of The YearNorma Jean - Meridional

Meridional came out of no where for me. Was never a big fan of theirs but this album blew me away.

EP Of The Year1) Funeral For A Friend - The Young And Defenceless
2) And So I Watch You From Afar - The Letters EP

top 15 Songs of 20101) Four Tet - Plastic People

2) And So I Watch You From Afar - S Is For Salamander

3) Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Sick Tonight (incidentally my favourite music video of 2010 as well)

4) The American Dollar - Age Of Wonder
5) Norma Jean - Leaderless And Self Enlisted
6) Mumford And Sons - White Blank Page
7) Hammock - Tristia
8) Gold Panda - Vanilla Minus
9) The National - Conversation 16
10) Laura Marling - Hope In The Air
11) 65daysofstatic - Mountainhead
12) Raised By Swans - Hail Of Arrows
13) God Is An Astronaut - Worlds In Collision
14) Balmorhea - Bowsprit
15) Gifts From Enola - Lionized

Most Anticipated for 2011I am of course waiting for the new Thrice release. They have been my musical love since 2002 and I do not see that changing any time soon. Other then them I am also looking forward to the new Ataris record. Hoping they come back into form after what I deemed a...disappointing effort with Welcome The Night.
Of course the Blink 182 record...but I won't believe its happening until I have it in my hands, starting to lose interest with all the "yeah its in the works" talks every few months. Approached with similar caution will be the new Green Day...after they released an album for the first time that I completely overlooked and ignored (21stCB)...we'll see. No big hopes so I really cannot be disappointed...right?
This Will Destroy You's new album should be interesting even though the last two songs they released to the public were....odd to say the least...
Funeral For A Friend is always good for a rocker of an album...James Blake first full length should hopefully be a delight...
Hmmmm Gone blank. I know there are tons of new albums coming out but I don't really keep my ear to the ground for these things. I just allow myself to get pleasantly surprised when the album officially drops. (or floats around on the interwebs beforehand).

TV Shows I Enjoyed In 2010QI
Mock The Week
Black Books
Spaced
The Day Today
Planet Earth
The Blue Planet
Black Adder
Family Guy
American Dad
Have I Got News For You
Never Mind The Buzzcocks

Favourite YouTube Video

Favourite Part of the ForumThe Eurokids get the nod here. I know it's totally unfair bias but the friends and connections that I have made and still make in that thread are nothing short of awesome. A truly good core bunch with (for the most part) their heads on straight.

Last But Not Least I want to give Eda a shout out for having given me an opportunity to join the AP staff this year. On top of her being a true friend of mine for eight years now and always being there for me when I need it, she believed in me enough to orchestrate and convince AP to take on a few European side staff (Kyle Huntington being the other, he's a legend too). So on top of a big up! to Eda, thank you to Jason Tate for the faith you have put into the decision and I hope that I can be of good service during 2011. For the rest of the staff, thank you for accepting me into your ranks and thank you to some of you in particular for helping me out when I was learning the ropes.

Follow me on TwitterMrSwiss84 I do warn you though. Every weekend you will be spammed with updates from the greatest sporting team on the planet. The Arsenal. Other then that, all is chill

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
10:51 PM on 12/19/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
10:06 AM on 12/21/10
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Sexii list! Love a lot of these.
10:30 AM on 12/21/10
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the new Jimmy Eat World album was boring
10:39 AM on 12/21/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
glad to see I'm not the only one who thought the new Jimmy Eat World album was boring
Yeah, it was pretty dull. I find it strange how many people rate it so high.
12:29 PM on 12/21/10
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Fantstic list, love the inclusion of the videos and what not and it's you I have to thank for getting me so into the Four Tet record.

<3
06:56 AM on 12/22/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
A few things I've missed on here, but the ones I know I really dig. I shall be returning to remind myself to pick up some of these.
12:41 PM on 12/22/10
ugman_2000
May your music break my ear drums
User Info.
I love the list Alex, totally forgot about the Four Tet album, I downloaded it ages ago just never got round to listening to it. I think I should now correct that as I love a lot of their back catalog
03:37 PM on 12/22/10
alice+interiors
|
User Info.
Like the Four Tet album, but I don't think Plastic People is the best track.

It's cool though; I read everything. Nice work
01:53 AM on 12/23/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
A few things I've missed on here, but the ones I know I really dig. I shall be returning to remind myself to pick up some of these.
Which are the ones you dug? And which are the ones you've missed?
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Like the Four Tet album, but I don't think Plastic People is the best track.

It's cool though; I read everything. Nice work
Thanks for reading =)

And I dont know, that track just gave me the chills.
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
I love the list Alex, totally forgot about the Four Tet album, I downloaded it ages ago just never got round to listening to it. I think I should now correct that as I love a lot of their back catalog
Do it! Its fantastic.
04:19 PM on 12/23/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Which are the ones you dug? And which are the ones you've missed?
The ones I missed:
The American Dollar
Hammock
Balmorhea
Near The Parenthisis
Bogatzke
EF
Eluvium

I've been constantly spinning that Gifts Of Enola album, as well as Envy, God Is An Astronaut, 65daysofstatic, Mount Kimbie, Sage Francis and Maserati. The rest of your list is solid too, but I hadn't seen those on many lists and I think they deserve it.
12:18 AM on 12/24/10
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
The ones I missed:
The American Dollar
Hammock
Balmorhea
Near The Parenthisis
Bogatzke
EF
Eluvium

I've been constantly spinning that Gifts Of Enola album, as well as Envy, God Is An Astronaut, 65daysofstatic, Mount Kimbie, Sage Francis and Maserati. The rest of your list is solid too, but I hadn't seen those on many lists and I think they deserve it.
Nice to see someone with such similar tastes!

Check those out for sure, do you know of them already or would you like some RIYLS?
04:45 AM on 12/24/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Nice to see someone with such similar tastes!

Check those out for sure, do you know of them already or would you like some RIYLS?
I've read a review for EF and The American Dollar, and I've already checked out some of Hammock's stuff. The others I'm not sure what they sound like, even though I've been looking for Balmorhea for ages. Some RIYLs would be great if you have the time.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version