AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Stereogum's Top Albums of 2010

Posted by - 12:56 AM on 12/09/10
Our sister site Stereogum have posted their top albums of 2010. Kanye West tops another list once again. What do you think of their picks?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 87
01:22 AM on 12/09/10
Deadbolt23
Jacob
User Info.
The Rolling Stone list is the only one that I've not liked so far. Another good list.
01:25 AM on 12/09/10
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Very solid list, especially in the top 10...
01:43 AM on 12/09/10
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
Some expected ones on there, but overall a surprising list.
01:46 AM on 12/09/10
37 Everywhere
User Info.
Looks like AP will be the ony list with Gaslight on it
01:58 AM on 12/09/10
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
I'm starting to a feel a sort of Stockholm Syndrome attraction to MBDTF as the best record of the year. One side of me wants to maintain that's it's not really that great lyrically and that some tracks are pretty forgettable... but the other side is buying into the argument that the record is some kind of epic soundscape marked by a sonic ambition that wasn't even close to being matched by another album this year.

Edit: I'm also pleasantly surprised by how high Contra has been on some pretty major lists.
02:20 AM on 12/09/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
Looks like AP will be the ony list with Gaslight on it
Punknews.org will def feature Gaslight.
02:21 AM on 12/09/10
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
By the way, can anyone tell me why Pitchfork gave '59 Sound an 8.6 then didn't even put it on their best of list that year?
02:52 AM on 12/09/10
Deadbolt23
Jacob
User Info.
The reviews are just one person's opinion, whereas the lists are all of their combined favourites.
02:56 AM on 12/09/10
nobull89
Gille Mate
User Info.
I still don't get the world's obsession with Kanye West? His lyrics aren't good and his delivery of those lyrics isn't good either. Why does every clown with a music reviewer's badge seem to think he is some sort of revolutionary aural wizard? It seems anyone who writes okay songs and drapes every aspect of their persona in ostentatious flamboyance is now a musical god. E.g. Lady Gaga.
03:46 AM on 12/09/10
Ryzenfall
makin' good time
User Info.
I'm starting to a feel a sort of Stockholm Syndrome attraction to MBDTF as the best record of the year. One side of me wants to maintain that's it's not really that great lyrically and that some tracks are pretty forgettable... but the other side is buying into the argument that the record is some kind of epic soundscape marked by a sonic ambition that wasn't even close to being matched by another album this year.

Edit: I'm also pleasantly surprised by how high Contra has been on some pretty major lists.
I think it all depends on how you value music. My number one criteria for greatness is in lyrics. If I can love a song removed of it's melodies and notes just by staring at the words on a page, it's a sign of a great song to me.

Of course, there are exceptions like for post rock, jazz, even classic coffeeshop music, etc.

Kanye's production and ambition behind it all was stellar. There's no doubt about that.
For me personally though, it's not lyrically anything special and therefore not sticking with me very well at all.
04:25 AM on 12/09/10
arson
User Info.
I really don't understand all of the hype behind MBDTF. I think it's a great record, but it doesn't sound that special to me.
04:34 AM on 12/09/10
minusblindfold
Good Morning, Magpie
User Info.
I want to see AP.net's list! The other ones always have the same albums on them
04:36 AM on 12/09/10
SLoT
Stage three has begun.
User Info.
I don't understand the love for the Beach House record, but to each their own. I'll have to check out a portion of that list, but overall I don't mind what they've done here.
05:48 AM on 12/09/10
Brian W
User Info.
When does Absolutepunk release their lists?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos