AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Day to Remember, A - For Those Who Have Heart Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.02
Musicianship 8.81
Lyrics 8.52
Production 8.72
Creativity 8.8
Lasting Value 8.88
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 88%

Day to Remember, A - For Those Who Have Heart

Reviewed by: Russ Hockenbury (01/23/07)
A Day to RememberFor Those Who Have Heart
Release Date: January 23, 2007
Record Label: Victory Records

A Day To Remember are sure to incur a number of haters with their pop-laden pit core. Over the years, there have been many bands try the sing/scream route and while a number of have gone onto scene stardom (Senses Fail, Finch, Hawthorne Heights), more have fallen flat on their face. So many, that labels began to shy away from signing such bands for a just long enough period of time for us to forget how tired we were of that sound. Thankfully, I’ve forgotten how tired I was of that sound and Victory doesn’t give a shit what people like me think anyway.

Though And Their Name Was Treason was a good album, it suffered from ADTR being a young band that lacked focus in their music. The band worked desperately to fuse in their pop choruses and still stay hard enough to remain in the hardcore/metal section of your local record store. For Those Who Have Heart is improved on every level. The breakdowns hit harder, the choruses stick longer, and the production is amped several times over. Likely the greatest improvement though is in the vocal work of Jeremy McKinnon. Gone are the wavery vocals of ATNWT, replaced by a soaring confidence (no doubt aided a little by a heftier production budget) evident throughout FTWHH. For proof, look no further than comparing 2005’s “Your Way With Words Is Through Silence” to 2007’s “Colder Than My Heart, If You Can Imagine”.

It’s no easy task to please everyone in such a segmented music community. I’m reminded of Rob Pennington’s diatribe way back on his band’s 1996 Victory release, For The Love Of Indie Rock, in which he lauded kids for isolating themselves into certain scenes and the lack of community he found in music at the time. If anything, the sub-genres and cliques have gotten worse in the ten years plus since that By The Grace of God album. Many bands lack the sense of community and energy that Pennington’s band had. Oh yes, the haters will come. The good news is that A Day To Remember has the potential and sound to shut them all up and build a bridge to unite them. Mark it down, this is Victory’s next big band.

I despise the word “melodic”: “The Plot To Bomb The Panhandle”, “A Shot In The Dark”

Three forefathers and one protege: Atreyu, Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights, Bombshell

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
06:07 PM on 01/23/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
nice review Russ.
06:14 PM on 01/23/07
venti111
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is cd is the type of music that will bring emo kids with hardcore kids and actually get them to get along. some of the heaviest beatdowns nd some of the softest vocals/music put in a cd. defintly of my favorite cds. if ur a fan of silverstein,across five aprils,boys night out, or dr. acula youll defintly love this album
06:20 PM on 01/23/07
decrescendo27
www.KillLincolnDC.com
User Info.
this is cd is the type of music that will bring emo kids with hardcore kids and actually get them to get along. some of the heaviest beatdowns nd some of the softest vocals/music put in a cd. defintly of my favorite cds. if ur a fan of silverstein,across five aprils,boys night out, or dr. acula youll defintly love this album

A5A - A Tragedy In Progress = sick album

everyone should check out Across Five Aprils
06:32 PM on 01/23/07
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
This review was an interesting read, but it hardly talks about the actual music on the CD, not to mention the fact that this band sounds nothing like Hawthorne Heights. Solid disk though.
06:35 PM on 01/23/07
Crater
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Victory never should have let go of Straylight Run
06:40 PM on 01/23/07
shaysexpanther
User Info.
^agreed
06:40 PM on 01/23/07
ATDIdakota
User Info.
ron jeremy is going to be in there video
06:49 PM on 01/23/07
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
this band is terrible. so generic.
07:03 PM on 01/23/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I hear no HH or SF though, but still a well written review. Can't knock someone's opinion.
07:07 PM on 01/23/07
emokid333
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i'll have to check this out
07:12 PM on 01/23/07
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
I'm not the only one to compare them to these bands. Alternative Press likened them to Senses Fail in their Lowdown section this month. The Hawthorne Heights comparison is more about the sing/scream thing, but if you're familiar at all with ATNWT, listen to that and then listen to A Silence In Black and White. You'll find some common ground there or you just aren't listening hard enough.
07:15 PM on 01/23/07
coandca33
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this band is terrible. so generic.

i agree. i also don't see these guys blowing up like HH at all. they may do about as well as four letter lie, but unfortunately, both bands have a shelf-life of about 1 year, tops.
07:16 PM on 01/23/07
catscradle
likes his chicken spicy
User Info.
good guys. i'm glad to see that they are starting to make a name for themselves. I wish the best for jeremy, as he most definitely deserves any good fortune his way.
07:23 PM on 01/23/07
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
Gotta agree with everyone saying there isn't much similarity to Hawthorne Heights or Senses Fail...the mere fact that they all have singing and screaming doesn't make them alike. A Day to Remember have a much stronger hardcore influence (but I'm sure still not strong enough for some) to their music. Nevertheless, I think this CD is fantastic, with some really stand-out tunes. I love being able to hear hardcore parts in the same song as a fucking super-catchy chorus.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests