AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Prom Night In Black And White - Before I Drown Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.13
Musicianship 5.13
Lyrics 5.13
Production 5.13
Creativity 5.19
Lasting Value 5.13
Reviewer Tilt 5.13
Average: 51%

Prom Night In Black And White - Before I Drown

Reviewed by: em.e (12/12/10)
Prom Night In Black And WhiteBefore I Drown EP.
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date : April 30, 2010

My first thought upon listening to this EP was ‘Wow, these guys are going somewhere’. One of the most exciting records I’ve heard in months. The sound is so fresh and raw, that of a band having fun while they explore what they can do. The Canadian power-pop band deliver the kind of EP that you would listen to in your car on the way to a gig to get yourself revved up!

"Zeitgeist" is the lead-in for the EP. Upon hearing this, it is obvious that this band has their sound pretty well down-pat. The music is tight, it works well and it really sets up the rest of the EP. And it doesn’t drag this out but shows the bands capabilities in a quick one minute instrumental.

The rest of the EP follows suit and does definitely not let down. The mixture of different music types is quite interesting throughout the EP and shows the band is still finding their sound. Some parts are quite catchy and pop-like whilst others can be a little heavier, with harsher vocals.

"Here’s to Hoping" and "If You Don’t Like Bruce, You Walk" remind me of a very early Fall Out Boy, and this is definitely a promising comparison. Like Fall Out Boy’s "Evening Out With Your Girlfriend" this EP shows a band early on screaming potential, as they explore their sound and make a record that is both fun and catchy. The lyrics too are reminiscent of early Fall Out Boy, about friendship and trying to make it in the scene. The lyrics are simple in some places but always strong and clear.

"The Ballad Of Taylor Ruey" gives the listener a real idea of Joel’s vocals as the music slows down and gives him a chance to show off his voice, which he does extremely well. This song is truly amazing and I believe it really shows the potential of this band. This song reminds me of Cute Is What We Aim For, when they too slow their music down. It softens the vocals to show the range of Joel’s voice. Again, this shows the bands potential. This song in particular, feels like that of a much more experienced and mature band.

"Stand Your Ground" follows suit and captures the journey of the band. It is fun and easy to listen to. It seems each song has something different about it as the band really try to solidify their sound. The entire record will make you want to sing along. Mostly though, it will make you want to hear more!

This record truly screams potential and I personally can’t wait to see how this band develops.

Recommended If You LikeEarly Fall Out Boy, Cute Is What We Aim For, easy, fun listening.

myspace.com/promnightinblackandwhite

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:54 PM on 12/27/10
hellokitty91
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
sooo good!
07:21 PM on 12/29/10
Fullblast 2.0
Not to be confused with Fullblast
User Info.
Terrible review, terrible band.