1. How did you get your band name?
It was Josh's idea. Seems like people want to think it has something to do with a particular director who likes zombies...that's alright by me.
2. How did this band get started?
Craigslist, believe it or not. Jeff and Josh had never met before, and Josh posted an ad looking for people interested in starting a doom band. Jeff stumbled upon it, and lucky for the rest of us, he responded. They wrote and demoed independently for about 8 months, at which point I joined on drum set.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Kyuss, Orange Goblin, Sleep, Boris, Clutch, Queens of the Stone Age, Black Sabbath, Torche, Baroness...glorious, heavy music.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Well, we've talked to Steve from Torche about playing with them. That would have to be my initial choice. Great dudes, great band, equal or greater love for gigantic sounds. As far as past groups, I think our choice would have to be The Jesus Lizard. Aside from Jeff's teenage obsession with Yow, the music fits and so do the audiences.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Furries creep me out. How about a snail? Visualize.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We're loud, passionate, and heavy, but we know how to write songs. Listenable songs. Songs that have both artistic value, and at the same time make you want to put the record on your turntable and leave it there, because - face it man - you're just too high to get up, get the sleeve, put the vinyl back in, figure out what to put on next, get that out, etc. etc. etc... We work hard to achieve songs that will make you want to get into our album. So get into it.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I'd like to see "Solitaire" on there. Probably pretty easy, but we like it slow.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Jeff and Josh, first. After that, you guys, obviously.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The value people put on live performances. Kids will spend $10 a meal at their local corporate eatery, but refuse to pay $4 to get in the door at a show where original art is being produced live for them at the expense of the artist and venue. On top of that, they end the night feeling morally superior because the coffee they paid too much for after the gig was free trade. That shit is fucked up. Obviously, I'm giving the worst case scenario here, but unfortunately it seems like a widespread phenomenon.
10. Memorable tour experience?
One time, Jeff drank about a quarter of a bottle of some energy drink, and right before we went on stage he got super sick. He puked seven times, one right after another, in the street before going on stage and playing a perfect gig. It was trippy.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Classic. Centralized information on groups I've never heard of, and plenty of excellent articles on legendary bands. AP.net is a staple of the "scene."
12. What is your favorite song to play?
A new one called "Compliments and Cocktails." It'll be on our full length, which we're very busy writing.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Alaska in the spring.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Elton John, Alabama, B.B. King, and the Beach Boys. Once I had a mind of my own, it became Choking Victim, NOFX, Sick of it All, Against All Authority, Converge, Cave In, and a lot more hardcore punk.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To have the gravitational pull of a black hole, because I enjoy crushing things.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No, I don't. I'm not even sure that there is such a thing as "making it" anymore, nor do I care.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Well, Jeff is a class A Star Wars collector and runs his own retro toy store. Josh designs functional furniture for a living. One time, when I was 11, I peed my pants at a Ted Nugent concert because the toilet lines were so long.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
Holidays are stupid.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don't have a lot of what I'd call "spare" time...if it's spare that means I don't have anything leftover to do, and that rarely happens. More so, when I take breaks from all the shit, I like to design, skate, train my hound dog, and consume the occasional media globule (books, wiki pages, films, albums, video games, etc.) Josh is in a curling league.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I make some pretty killer salsa dip. Also, I'm an animal whisperer.