Password

Album Review
The Canvas Waiting - Chasing Color Album Cover

The Canvas Waiting - Chasing Color

Reviewed by
The Canvas WaitingChasing Color
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: November 9, 2010
I’m not usually swooned by mellow pop/rock acts. Even a big ticket like Copeland waxes soporific to me at best. I’m not playing the hipster card here – if anything, I’d enjoy these artists in an ideal world. But we don’t live in a world anything close to ideal, so for the time being, no, I don’t particularly adore Copeland. Add some “rock” to your mellow pop/rock, though – a la Brightwood – and I’ll probably change my mind. And indeed, The Canvas Waiting has more in common with Brightwood than they do with Copeland. On Chasing Color, their mellifluous melodies frequently bloom into dynamic choruses, and that’s already more than enough to hold my attention.

“Ghosts” is the album’s clear centerpiece, delving into hazy introspection that questions what reality truly is: “I seem to be a puzzle piece that fits but blurs the scene… I fall in love with ghosts, it’s easier than you’d think.” Or, it could simply be another elaborate metaphor for a turbulent relationship. Either way, the chorus hits with such atmosphere it hardly matters; I’m swept up in its urgency like a feather in a tornado. “Streets of Gold” is beautiful for different reasons, lamenting the absurdity of both faith and science over Acceptance-y music. “I just do what I’m told, and hope that the words from these pages can save my soul,” it moans. “I just do what I’m told, the doctors hang over my body while speaking in tongues, so I let them poison my veins so that I can grow old.”

Chasing Color doesn’t hack desperately at genre boundaries, and it seems more than content to stick to the status quo. That might disinterest some casual fans, but it shouldn’t drive away pop/rock aficionados any more than it should intrigue them. The Canvas Waiting operates with a no-frills mentality: They’ve got an idea of what they do best, and they’ve put all their energy into perfecting it. Chasing Color isn't immaculate by any means, but it does showcase a genuity that’s backed by energy. And that’s the kind of mellow pop/rock I can appreciate.

Recommended If You LikeBrightwood, Acceptance, Copeland, Barcelona

Track listing1. Chasing Color
2. Ghosts
3. Darkness Into Day
4. An Island Now
5. Streets of Gold
6. All the Lines Erased
7. Barcelona

Stream Chasing Color on The Canvas Waiting's AP.net Profile.
This review is a user submitted review from Matthew Tsai. You can see all of Matthew Tsai's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
05:34 AM on 12/20/10
tbsrock08
User Info.
Really enjoy this EP. Hope to see lots from this band! Great review by the way!
05:54 AM on 12/20/10
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
I too really like this. As you said, it's nothing new but they do it well. The title track has quite an emotional impact on me.
07:44 AM on 12/20/10
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
great great CD. Love this band. Their previous releases are just as golden.
08:04 AM on 12/20/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Solid EP.
08:39 AM on 12/20/10
taylerx0
I'm ready, waiting on my ending.
User Info.
I really, really like this EP. I haven't been able to stop listening to it. "An Island Now" is a gorgeous song.
11:26 AM on 12/20/10
lydia<3
Badass
User Info.
Great review, except you forgot to mention one of the most amazing songs on this EP - An Island Now. It's a must you check it out before deciding how you feel about band.
03:58 PM on 12/21/10
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
'an island now' and 'streets of gold' are pure money.
09:32 PM on 12/21/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Seeing someone call Copeland soporific at best makes my heart cringe.
09:41 PM on 12/21/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Seeing someone call Copeland soporific at best makes my heart cringe.
I don't have anything against them or anything. Aaron Marsh is an awesome guy. Their music just unfortunately doesn't happen to be my thing.
09:45 PM on 12/21/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I don't have anything against them or anything. Aaron Marsh is an awesome guy. Their music just unfortunately doesn't happen to be my thing.
I understand, they're not everyone's cup of tea. My fanboy feelings about them just happened to cry on the inside when reading that haha.
09:49 PM on 12/21/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I understand, they're not everyone's cup of tea. My fanboy feelings about them just happened to cry on the inside when reading that haha.
Haha yeah I thought it might've been a fanboy comment but I thought I'd go ahead and clear it up that I respect Copeland but just can't get into them so nobody accuses me of being elitist haha.
09:55 PM on 12/21/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Haha yeah I thought it might've been a fanboy comment but I thought I'd go ahead and clear it up that I respect Copeland but just can't get into them so nobody accuses me of being elitist haha.

I don't think Copeland is a type of band that, if denied or rejected, instantly makes someone a hipster or elitist. Just not your thing. But that's probably subjective and I'm not into smacking labels of elitism or hipsterism on anyone just because they don't dig one of my favorites.

Also, I applaud this review. It got me interested in the band and I'll probably throw a few listens to them tomorrow.
09:56 PM on 12/21/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
I don't think Copeland is a type of band that, if denied or rejected, instantly makes someone a hipster or elitist. Just not your thing. But that's probably subjective and I'm not into smacking labels of elitism or hipsterism on anyone just because they don't dig one of my favorites.

Also, I applaud this review. It got me interested in the band and I'll probably throw a few listens to them tomorrow.
Good point, and thanks!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version