AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Tera Melos - Tera Melos Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 9
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 6.25
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 9.67
Production 8.92
Creativity 9.42
Lasting Value 8.67
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Tera Melos - Tera Melos

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (01/30/07)
Tera Melos - Tera Melos
Released October 4th, 2005
Springman Records

Freeform within their self-titled album’s longevity and technical enough for math-rock advocates and those in favor of instrumental-over-all to come together in a celebration of odd time shifts and a potpourri of similar aspects of bands such as Dakota/Dakota, Eggs, and Fall of Troy. Already known for their ample-et-spastic stage presence, Tera Melos no doubt translates their animated rhythms and distinctly precise, yet somehow off-key, jazz cohesion to disk. Yet, in the middle of the sporadic static discharge, skewed guitar hooks, and the consistently dynamic solidity from track to track, it seems much more than that, but still somehow gets too wrapped up in itself to really highlight these attributes.

Becoming the up-in-coming fledgling flagship of instrumental-rock, Tera Melos diverge into quite an interesting motif; post-hardcore tendencies set to an often overbearing techno backdrop. The band is consistent for the most part with their sound, waning in impact only during the moments in which electronics over take the rest of the band (“Melody 5”). Though this is slightly forgivable, for tracks like “Melody 4” and “Melody 2” is reason enough to lend an ear. The latter instrumental employs stressed guitar noodling and splintered percussion as a precursor to on again, off again downhill breakdowns. But there again, the bubbly electronic effects and one-way keyboard skip-and-scuttle of “Melody 1”, though a good entrance to “Melody 2”, and noise-rock buzz of “Melody 8” really don’t do much, especially when they last over 28 minutes.

“Melody 3” and “Melody 7” is where Tera Melos falls in between covering up their tracks with unnecessary fuzz and truly showing what they are capable of. “Melody 3” is like an Appleseed Cast song that never really goes anywhere. A drizzling guitar line leads a spastic drum inclusion and draining background rhythm guitar/bass harmony on somewhat of a one-way street, nonetheless acting as a smooth segue between the album’s best tracks. “Melody 7” is one of the more upbeat instrumentals featured; predictably, however, digressing away from the song’s stylishly-fun sound within the first 45 seconds.

If this had been a more concentrated effort, we’d have a breadwinner here, folks. Unfortunately, Tera Melos takes the things they perfect and quickly ditch them for uni-faceted tracks with more electronics than need be. Fortunately this is a fairly dated release in terms of the band’s progression until now. Considering their tact and confidence with this self-titled release, we’re bound to see an even better material from them here soon.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
08:44 PM on 01/30/07
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
these guys put on an epic show.
08:48 PM on 01/30/07
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
so they dont sing.
08:48 PM on 01/30/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Good honest review. I really like it, I have to say it grew on me after a bunch of listens. They are nuts live too
08:59 PM on 01/30/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.

Welcome to instrumental music.

They do have weird embedded vocals, but they don't really constitute as such. So I put N/A on the vocals area.
09:07 PM on 01/30/07
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Such a great band. I can't wait to see them.
10:40 PM on 01/30/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
Such a great band. I can't wait to see them.

prepare for your face to melt.

these guys absolutely rip the fucking stage up. i hadn't heard their music before i saw em last week on the TFOT tour, but yeah, they were incredible.
10:49 PM on 01/30/07
sean omerta
ye-yeah!
User Info.
I saw these guys open for The Fall of Troy and Portugal. The Man in Dallas this past Friday.... pretty impressive live show. Also have some nice merch designs.

Good review, Scott.
02:42 AM on 01/31/07
castaway
that boy's got woe
User Info.
great album to do drugs to.

and insane artwork.
06:25 AM on 01/31/07
No_Soul420
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lol dude, this record is almost two years old. Its solid, but perhaps you should write a review of their new album that is out: "Drugs to the Dear Youth". Picked it up last night at the show, will be spinning it soon.
07:08 AM on 01/31/07
No_Soul420
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
2005 was such a good year for relases. This album made my top 10 of 2005
07:32 AM on 01/31/07
Bucc4019
User Info.
good shit.
10:56 AM on 01/31/07
grainofsand
User Info.
great cd, great live show, nicest guys ever.. their new cd is awesome also
02:03 PM on 01/31/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Lol dude, this record is almost two years old. Its solid, but perhaps you should write a review of their new album that is out: "Drugs to the Dear Youth". Picked it up last night at the show, will be spinning it soon.

I review what I get in the mail, bro. AP.net hasn't received their new album, so I dont think thats a possibility now is it?
02:10 PM on 01/31/07
pnutty
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
best intrumental band ever: The Mercury Program.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums