Username
Password
Avenged Sevenfold News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Avenged Sevenfold
Inside AP.net

Why Portnoy Had to Go

Posted by: Matthew Tsai (12/20/10)
You can read an article on recent happenings with Avenged Sevenfold here.

Submitted by EvilZeppelin

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
08:03 PM on 12/20/10
quizonmyface
Asian girls love them some Jews
User Info.
It was my understanding that Portnoy had no intentions on sticking around, as he'd stated many times throughout his tenure in A7X...

He will no doubt rejoin Dream Theater in a year or two anyway, that band will die without him.
08:05 PM on 12/20/10
Raarzipan
Registered Member
User Info.
It was my understanding that Portnoy had no intentions on sticking around, as he'd stated many times throughout his tenure in A7X...

He will no doubt rejoin Dream Theater in a year or two anyway, that band will die without him.
Did you read the article? he already tried to rejoin and they said No which imo is bigger news.
08:06 PM on 12/20/10
Shoorty0690
User Info.
I can only imagine the pain the band suffers from losing a member. However, I know if I were a deceased member of a band, I would want nothing but the best for them and for them to continue doing what they all love doing. And for these dudes, it's be a band. Bayside eventually replaced their drummer. A7X should do the same.
08:23 PM on 12/20/10
SurfSkittles16
say what?
User Info.
i'm glad they're continuing on and taking it slow with finding another drummer. it's much more than replacing a band member. they've all known eachother since they were little.
08:25 PM on 12/20/10
ETGsynth
IWillBuryYou&EverythingYouBelieveIn
User Info.
Wow, Fuck them.

"It would always be Avenged Sevenfold and Mike Portnoy"

Sorry ego got in the way.
08:26 PM on 12/20/10
Jake Jenkins
~
User Info.
let's not forget that Nightmare was awful.
08:31 PM on 12/20/10
singyoutocoma
Find a thread to pull...
User Info.
So basically Portnoy takes on A7X as a side project, begins to really enjoy it, thinks he might stick with it, leaves Dream Theater, finds out A7X don't want him on board permanently, tries to rejoin Dream Theater and is refused?

Sucks for him.
08:59 PM on 12/20/10
Gumbyjag
Everything Evil
User Info.
I can agree with them as far as their recognition goes, I'd be afraid of my band losing our hard-earned integrity and reputable recognition to a new member, no matter how respected he is or how much he wants to be in the band.

It's like if NeverShoutNever! got Paul McCartney to play bass for him. The band would no longer be NeverShoutNever! (I know he's planning to change the name anyway).
09:01 PM on 12/20/10
fishguts182
Pop Punks For Hugs Not Thugs
User Info.
sucks to be Mike right about now, and nightmare was for the most part an Ok cd at best besides a few stand out tracks.
09:31 PM on 12/20/10
A7XXX
Temple Pressure
User Info.
I'm really curious who their new drummer is. Of course nobody could ever replace Jimmy. Hopefully this will not be the end of them
10:05 PM on 12/20/10
Jonodeath
The Swellers / Jonathan
User Info.
I'm glad there was finally an explanation posted. I read Mike's initial statement and it seemed a lot meaner than it really was. Still, what a crappy situation to be in.

On the bright side, being one of the most respected and influential drummers to most people will probably help him land another gig no problem. He could honestly just do session drumming or videos the rest of his life and make a mad living, but I know his heart is into writing songs and playing them. He apparently did everything for Dream Theater so it's really weird thinking of them making another record or touring without him.
10:33 PM on 12/20/10
Iownaps3
User Info.
I've not been a fan of Avenged Sevefold since, well, ever, but I picked up their new album specifically because of Portnoy (excellent drummer) and I still hated it, in fact I gave it to one of my friends. Basically what I'm getting at is, Avenged Sevenfold jus got rid of their only talented member, smart move! I'm sure this will take the band into uncharted waters....
11:10 PM on 12/20/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Portnoy leaves DT to join AX7.

AX7 realize if he stays in the band, the spotlight will be on him , overshadowing(no pun intended) their roles.

Portnoy is kicked out of AX7 and attempts to crawl back with tail tucked to DT and they won't have a bar of it.

Welcome to Rock and Roll
12:00 AM on 12/21/10
TomWhaley
Lay me in the dirt and I will grow.
User Info.
let's not forget that Nightmare was awful.
You trippin'. Nightmare was great. I loved every minute of that album. As always, their musicianship was top notch.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests