2010 ruled. Period. If you're reading this and don't know me I'll sum it up for you: I love pop-punk. I could care less if a band plays in 8/16 time signature or used 72 different effects on a single track. Simply put, if a band makes music that sticks with me, I'm hooked. I'm not into the artsy avant-garde indie rock that saturates Paste and Pitchfork. It may seem a bit ironic with my current taste in music that I grew up listening solely to Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel sprinkled with some classic rock but this is who I am and that's not changing any time soon. Hopefully you don't think I'm a mindless creature with no appreciation for creative music, it just isn't for me. With that said here we go...
Top Albums of 2010
30. Death In The Park - Death In The Park 29. The Great Valley - Wrecking Ball EP
28. Me Vs. Hero - Days That Shape Our Lives 27. Make Do And Mend - End Measured Mile 26. The Sleeping - The Big Deep 25. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise 24. Transit - Keep This To Yourself
23. Motionless In White - Creatures
22. Analog Rebellion - Ancient Electrons
21. Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam 20. Ted Leo and The Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks
19. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life 18. Bright and Early - Louder Than Words EP 17. Stick To Your Guns - The Hope Division 16. The Menzingers - Chamberlain Waits 15. The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang 14. River City Extension - The Unmistakable Man 13. You, Me, and Everyone We Know - Some Things Don't Wash Out 12. A Day To Remember - What Separates Me From You 11. Senses Fail - The Fire 10. My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys 9. Born Without Bones - Say Hello 8. Tigers Jaw - Two Worlds 7. Man Overboard - Real Talk 6. Handguns - Anywhere But Home 5. Underoath - Disambiguation
4. I Call Fives - Bad Advice EP 3. Four Year Strong - Enemy Of The World 2. The Forecast - The Forecast 1. The Wonder Years - The Upsides
Band of 2010
Title Fight - You may ask yourself "Christian, you realize they didn't release anything?" This band has brought back an energy of 90's emo/hardcore that's been long forgotten. Drawing comparisons of potential stardom to Texas Is The Reason, Lifetime, and more these straight edge teens landed support spots on tours for Four Year Strong, Set Your Goals, Senses Fail plus a UK tour and an appearance on Bamboozle. Their merch is spotted everywhere at shows and they have the support of every band in the scene. With a new label and album in 2011, expect big things.
Best Lyrics of 2010
Listen to The Upsides. An album has never been so relevant to me. Every word Soupy sings is what I've felt for years. His straightforward approach to songwriting gives me chills on how he can capture an emotion so well. The down-on-your-luck with hope of optimism tone throughout the album gives me chills every time I listen to it.
Best Label of 2010
Run For Cover Records - Jeff and co. have given the chance for incredible bands to shine in a scene that's overridden with such crap. My hats off to them for keeping it real.
Most Anticipated Releases for 2011
14. Polar Bear Club
13. All Time Low
12. New Found Glory
10. Such Gold
9. Title Fight
8. I Am The Avalanche (We can only hope)
6. Hit The Lights
5. Set Your Goals
4. The Wonder Years
2. The Swellers
Huge props for being the only staff member with STYG on your list. Also cool to see BWB and MVH included too.
Thank you dude! I appreciate you checking out the list. Like I said, I'm not really into a diverse or "artsy" music - make something with a good hook and make it sincere and I'll give it the attention it deserves.