AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Fireworks - Bonfires EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 9.44
Lyrics 8.06
Production 9.19
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.88
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Fireworks - Bonfires EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (12/23/10)
Fireworks - Bonfires EP
Release Date: December 9, 2010
Record Label: Triple Crown Records

Fireworks made a splash in 2009 with its first full length, All I Have to Offer Is My Own Confusion. That was a hell of a record, and now, almost at the close of 2010, we get more from this band in the form of the Bonfires EP. What we have here is four songs from the group, essentially a teaser for their follow-up to AIHTOIMOC, due out in 2011.

While fans are itching for that new LP, the release of Bonfires has proven so far to be a successful move for Fireworks. With three brand new songs plus the inclusion of "Seasick", a bonus track on All I Have to Offer, the band gives fans a taste of what's to come without spoiling their appetite. In this day and age where music fans are, for the most part, extremely impatient and easily distracted, it's important for most bands to release new music every year to make sure that everyone remembers that they exist.

While All I Have to Offer still receives regular attention from me, this new EP has already given Fireworks a boost in my daily rotation. Bonfires starts off with "I Grew Up In A Legion Hall", showcasing the sound that the band established with that great full length. Dave Mackinder's nasally vocals are again a focal point, complemented by a quality guitar work from Brett Jones and Chris Mojan.

The band is at its best when it is going all out, with Mackinder yelping personal lyrics into the microphone. But one of the things that makes this band stand out considerably from the rest of the pop punk groups today is its ability to slow things down just a bit, playing with a little more thoughtful instrumentals and very deliberate vocals. "I Grew Up In A Legion Hall" shows that ability a bit, but "Five Years" is a much better example. A short song, "Five Years" plays out as something of a poem accompanied by a soft guitar at first before the song picks up slightly. Mackinder sings softly, "I follow the signs, dead ends every time / For reasons you refuse to understand / There's no gleam in the future, just a shadow of doubt / But you take my hand and we walk so proud." It's a song like this one where Fireworks demands your attention and shows you the true potential of its next full length.

Things pick up again with "Like Ships In the Night" as the band uses a catchy hook in the chorus to carry a song that will soon become a fan favorite at live shows. Like I said, this group is at its best when it is going as fast as it can, and "Seasick" is a testament to that. Those who purchased a physical copy of All I Have to Offer heard this song as a bonus track at the end of that record. It fits in as well at the end of this EP as it fit at the end of that album, showing that while Fireworks is progressing, it is still the same band at its core.

Bonfires is an excellent release for this group. They continue to do no wrong and play their cards right while taking their time with their ever-important sophomore record. This EP was just what fans needed: a little dash of the sound that they already knew mixed in with hints at something new. Put Fireworks on your list of bands to keep an eye on in 2011, as it's going to be a memorable year for the Detroit natives.

Recommended If You Likepop punk, The Wonder Years, All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion, The Swellers
Follow Me On TwitterMeow.
Bare Essentials1. I Grew Up In A Legion Hall
2. Five Years
3. Like Ships In the Nights
4. Seasick
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Run Time: 10 minutes
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34.
05:28 AM on 12/23/10
NegativeCreep
I'm just a stupid worthless boy
User Info.
i cant stop listening to these songs. good review, i didint think of it as a teaaser but that makes a lotta sense
05:44 AM on 12/23/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Another good review, Thomas. I enjoyed this EP, so I guess I'll have to check out AIHTOIMOC
06:18 AM on 12/23/10
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Love this band, there two EP's are some of my favorites in the genre.
06:34 AM on 12/23/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
Good review, good EP.
06:40 AM on 12/23/10
BigG1392
I have a crippling fear of heights
User Info.
Love this EP. Can't wait for more from Fireworks!
06:55 AM on 12/23/10
Fourchordwonder
and we all return to our roots
User Info.
I didn't like this much as first, besides Legion Hall, but it's really grown on me recently.
07:45 AM on 12/23/10
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
Fantastic album cover lol.
08:41 AM on 12/23/10
rushour144
User Info.
I must have to listen to it more, because I almost threw it away after listening to it, haha!
08:59 AM on 12/23/10
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I can't stop listening to this EP its so good. I can't wait to see them today
09:03 AM on 12/23/10
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
Another good review, Thomas. I enjoyed this EP, so I guess I'll have to check out AIHTOIMOC
how have you not listened to it yet?
This is (IMO) the best EP of 2010.
09:16 AM on 12/23/10
OMGitsAndrew
I like music.
User Info.
I love this band, I see them live earlier in the year with NFG and they were sick. I bought AIHTOIMOC once I got home and it's def one of my fave pop punk records. I can't wait to listen to this EP.
09:20 AM on 12/23/10
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
meh, I only really like "Like Ships In The Night". disappointing. oh well, I bet the album will rule
09:31 AM on 12/23/10
Dre Okorley
HC Punk Afficionado / @dreokorley
User Info.
meh, I only really like "Like Ships In The Night". disappointing. oh well, I bet the album will rule
Song sounds very KD (and of course NFG) influenced.

Surprised you're not a fan of "Seasick", the intro/verse is hot. Good stuff.
09:32 AM on 12/23/10
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
Song sounds very KD (and of course NFG) influenced.

Surprised you're not a fan of "Seasick", the intro/verse is hot. Good stuff.
it's ok, I can see why they left it off the album though
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums