AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Story So Far, The/Maker - Split Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.79
Musicianship 9.61
Lyrics 9.71
Production 9.43
Creativity 9.57
Lasting Value 9.93
Reviewer Tilt 9.86
Average: 97%

Story So Far, The/Maker - Split

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (12/23/10)
The Story So Far/Maker - Split
Release Date: November 23, 2010
Record Label: Pure Noise Records

The new breed of pop punk is expanding at an alarming rate, and The Story So Far and Maker are two names that fans of the genre should become familiar with in a hurry. The Story So Far play the more poppy style of the two groups, showing obvious New Found Glory influences, but still lean toward the more punk side of things with a ferociously fast tempo to their music and rapid-fire, hit-and-run lyrics. Maker are on the slightly rougher, more raw side of things, led by impressive guitar work.

With this split, listeners get three new songs from The Story So Far and two songs from Maker. On Maker's side, it is apparent that the band has vastly improved from its I-91 EP. The band seems to have found the sound that it was looking for, and the sound isn't quite as rough as it was before. Everything seems more organized now, the vocals are clearer and easier to listen to, and the entire band seems to have gotten better at their respective instruments. "Sink Or Swim" is in all likelihood the group's best song, showcasing both the band's instrumental talents and improved vocals.

On The Story So Far's side of the split, which is actually the first side, they show off their California style of pop punk that should help them blow up soon. A good comparison for the group is fellow Californians Set Your Goals, as Parker Cannon's vocals over chaotic musicianship will please fans of Mutiny! "Brevity" is a short introductory track that leads into "Mt. Diablo", a heart-on-sleeve, mosh-necessary song. "680 South" proves to be the best offering on The Story So Far's side. The song has more than a few vocal hooks and a guest appearance from Ben Kotin adds some roughness to the bridge.

Both of these bands should see some increased popularity as the new wave of pop punk becomes more and more entrenched with listeners. It wouldn't be surprising if one day, people look back on this split as a gateway for both bands into long, successful careers. The Story So Far perhaps shows the most promise out of any new pop punk band, as the group is still very young.

Recommended If You LikeFor TSSF: Set Your Goals, New Found Glory. For Maker: Such Gold, Transit, Lifetime.
Follow Me On TwitterTweet, tweet.
Bare Essentials1. Brevity
2. Mt. Diablo
3. 680 South
4. 19 Maple St.
5. Sink or Swim
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Stream

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
06:42 AM on 12/23/10
JTMcKrackles
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
The Story So Far is incredible. I'm glad AP streamed their EP a while back, it made me a diehard.

Great review, by the way.
06:45 AM on 12/23/10
hamish.
courtesy is a fallacy
User Info.
Good stuff. I think TSSF side blows Maker's away, but that's just me.

TSSF should become pretty big when they release a full length.
08:06 AM on 12/23/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
TSSF definitely outshines Maker, but both sides are great.
08:36 AM on 12/23/10
MALKiiN
User Info.
TSSF side rules
08:59 AM on 12/23/10
betterdaysrec
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
TSSF doesn't sound like Set Your Goals at all.
09:09 AM on 12/23/10
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Another great split. It's weird seeing these pop punks band hitting the scene and being the underdogs. It seems like the wonder years transit man overboard and fireworks were all just in the same spot so short ago. These two bands along with handguns will most likely blow up
11:02 AM on 12/23/10
joppyxtsl
hun?
User Info.
The Story So Far side is amazing.
11:56 AM on 12/23/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
TSSF definitely outshines Maker, but both sides are great.
I agree. Man that band has so much potential! If I remember correctly you put them on the ABS100? That blurb got me so into them.
12:05 PM on 12/23/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
I agree. Man that band has so much potential! If I remember correctly you put them on the ABS100? That blurb got me so into them.
I sure did! And set up the stream of their last EP. I think they're going to do big things next year when they put out a full length.
05:09 PM on 12/23/10
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
been addicted to the new The Story So Far's songs for about a month now, especially Mt. Diablo
08:38 PM on 12/23/10
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
the story so far is my new addiction
02:40 AM on 12/24/10
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
i listen to the story so far's side a few times every day, love those songs.
05:27 PM on 12/24/10
NeedHelp
Stuck inside my account
User Info.
Everything The Story So Far releases is awesome.
11:35 AM on 12/25/10
Farva2
Registered Member
User Info.
I rep these dudes pretty hard, theyll be huge in pop punk if they keep up the good work and if kids give them a listen.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests