Username
Password
Mae News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Mae
Inside AP.net

From Mae To River James

Posted by: PeeDster (12/23/10)
Jacob of Mae has another band called River James. Head here to listen and download two new songs of theirs.

submitted by various members

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
06:31 AM on 12/23/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
These sound really good.

Really like the artwork too.
08:10 AM on 12/23/10
kmilongo
Circuitry of the wolf.
User Info.
great tunes!
08:18 AM on 12/23/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Not too bad.
08:44 AM on 12/23/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
kinda boring...
09:28 AM on 12/23/10
jacobMAE
Mae / Jacob
User Info.
Thanks for giving them a listen, we will be recording more in the months to come and giving them to you through the riverjamesmusic.com site. Many of you probably met our guitarist Tyler on the last few mae tours. Our singer Vince and bass player Scoops are originally from a DC band called Army of Me that we have toured with many times throughout the years.
It is an honor to keep sharing music with you!
09:39 AM on 12/23/10
thesollopsist
User Info.
Thanks for giving them a listen, we will be recording more in the months to come and giving them to you through the riverjamesmusic.com site. Many of you probably met our guitarist Tyler on the last few mae tours. Our singer Vince and bass player Scoops are originally from a DC band called Army of Me that we have toured with many times throughout the years.
Keep us updated on news of an album.
09:42 AM on 12/23/10
jacobMAE
Mae / Jacob
User Info.
Keep us updated on news of an album.
Definitely. Will do.
10:10 AM on 12/23/10
thesollopsist
User Info.
Definitely. Will do.
Good to hear Also, I don't know if the mae goodbye tour is over, but if it isn't, you guys should come to the UK. It'd be so good to see you guys live.
01:36 PM on 12/23/10
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
Definitely. Will do.

'Seasons' is beautiful. Consider releasing an album of just instrumental contemporary piano pieces? I would love that.
04:03 PM on 12/23/10
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
I always wondered what happened to Army of Me. Saw them open up a bill with The Almost, Emery, and Envy on the Coast a few years back. Lead singer was super nice when I chatted with him. Glad to know he's ended up in a band with some really talented people. Looking forward to future tunes!
09:24 PM on 12/23/10
kaduck2007
User Info.
Really enjoying this. Particularly fond of Arlington. Thanks for the free downloads. Excited to see what else you guys cook up. Will spread the word for you guys!
09:24 PM on 12/23/10
jacobMAE
Mae / Jacob
User Info.
'Seasons' is beautiful. Consider releasing an album of just instrumental contemporary piano pieces? I would love that.
Thank you very much, that piece is very special to me. Did you get to see the photos that came in the digital download? I wrote it about ten years ago and it was always intended to be the soundtrack for a collection of photos. The story it tells is in three layers. The time of day, the time of year, and the time of life are all three playing out simultaneously. The time of day and time of year are visualized as directly proportional in the photos but the time of life is both cyclical and disjointed. It begins in Summer and returns to Summer. Life obviously doesn't play out like that and for the longest time I didn't understand why I had written it that way. I even tried to change it but it never sounded right.
I am getting married at the end of January and earlier this year my fiancee asked me if she could walk down the aisle to a moment of Seasons (you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-J1...eature=related) called "Death is Sleep," "The Bridge," and "Awake." All of a sudden I knew why the structure was the way it was. It was there to show me something about myself and this new season of life in marriage.
I wrote in a paper once that true art leads. The moments of art that I am most proud of creating are the ones that end up teaching me about myself long after they have been put up on the shelf. Art is capturing in sound, word, light, and time; the slow and painful process of human growth. Sometimes you don't even know what it means until years later.
Ultimately, Seasons is an experiment in a form of art called "mae" or multisensory aesthetic experience. All this means is that the story or the meaning that I am trying to capture and convey is spread out over several senses. No one piece of the puzzle holds the whole picture. You have to put the pieces together to see the picture. You have to hear, see, and think about what you just experienced. And in that thinking you wrestle with how it stands in contrast with your own experience and understanding of the world.
Hopefully it leaves you with the feeling that life is short and we need to make the most of it.
11:44 PM on 12/23/10
heinzfoot57
we are once in a lifetime
User Info.
that is so cool. Sometimes art can seem like there's a missing piece but if you have all the parts the picture comes into focus. We definitely need to make the most of our life, thanks for the explanation Jacob!
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests