Password

Album Review

Locksley - Be In Love Album Cover

Locksley - Be In Love

Reviewed by
Locksley - Be In Love
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 26, 2009
When I first saw Locksley’s website, I thought they were just some powerpop band that attracted pre-teen girls with their words about “love” and first crushes. Needless to say, I was not expecting much. However, when I downloaded their album Be In Love, I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. There were no electronic introductions and no overly auto-tuned voices. In fact, their sound had more of a British rock feel, even sometimes bluesy; although the band describes themselves as ‘doo-wop punk’. The only thing they did have though have was songs about girls. In my opinion, they were able to pull it off. For all you Hellogoodbye fans, this album reminded me very much of their most recent project, Would It Kill You? - minus the lyrical content.

Despite the happy-go-lucky sound to every last one of these songs, some of the lyrics have contrasting meanings. For instance, the second song on the album is about a guy leaving his significant other, even though it seems as if neither of them want it: “I’m going now even though your arms are the place I know.” Another example of not a sad, but a more serious love song, is titled “Days of Youth.” This song was written by the lead guitarist Kai Kennedy, and has a more mature romantic feel due to lyrics such as “And I’ll try to remember you, when we were brand new / in our days of youth.” Yet with that mature song comes an immature one. The third song on the album, “One More Minute,” written by their bassist Jordan Laz, has lyrics that are likely found in a teenage girl band: “I leave, Quietly shut the door,” “Just give me one more minute to reload, I’ll fire another round, hear you scream and shout.”

Sound-wise the band was varied with the times. Certain songs, such as “Love You Too,” had an 80’s feel, and reminded me of artists like David Lee Roth era of Van Halen; while other songs, such as “Darling It’s True,” had a playful 60’s feel like The Monkees. Their ability to mimic such a vast era was a talent I found interesting, seeing as this sound will most likely appeal to a bigger fan group.

For the most part I enjoyed Be In Love. Their image is contrasting to their sound, yet it fits quite well with their lyrics. This band taught me not to judge a book so quickly by the cover, because you truly do not know what is beneath it.

Recommended If You LikeHelloGoodbye's Would It Kill You?, The Hives, The Strokes as a pop band
This review is a user submitted review from Samanthaesg. You can see all of Samanthaesg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:00 AM on 12/30/10
tonighttonight0
Rode the El Niño
User Info.
I agree with you on all of the points you brought up. They put out a pretty solid first album that puts this one to shame.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos