Password

Album Review

LoveHateHero - White Lies Album Cover

LoveHateHero - White Lies

Reviewed by
LoveHateHero -White Lies
Record Label - Ferret Records
Release Date - February 20, 2007

LoveHateHero’s debut, “Just Breathe,” was an impressive effort as a debut, and while underappreciated, it was one of the genres better releases. In the time between their debut and their second effort, “White Lies,” the band saw both of their guitarist and their drummer leave. With the addition of Myke Russell and Kevin Gruft on guitars, as well as Scot Gee on drums, the biggest question was what direction the band would take. In the end, the direction the band decided to take on their second full-length is bound to surprise just about everyone.

“White Lies” sees the band playing a subtle mix of Funeral for a Friend and Scary Kids Scaring Kids through the verses, before the band channels their inner At the Gates during the soloing. Now I know what you’re thinking, “Did this dude just compare LoveHateHero to At the Gates?” Simply put, Myke Russell and Kevin Gruft can flat out shred. The duo lay down solos on just about every song, with just about everyone sounding like they we’re taken from the next big Swedish influenced melodic metal band. From the solo on opener, “Goodbye My Love,” to the solos on “Hollywoodemia” and just about every song on the album, the technicality makes the album an extremely striking affair. You don’t normally expect to reach air guitar heaven on a nu-screamo/post-hardcore album, but then again, “White Lies” just might be the best release from the genre. Ever.

I once heard the band called “A Wilhelm Scream gone emo.” While the tagging of emo isn’t as necessary here, the statement still holds true, as each band takes a technical stance on a genre not known for wowing it’s listeners with it’s astounding musicianship. Another impressive improvement on “White Lies” is how varied the album is, especially compared to their debut. Songs like “Goodbye My Love,” “You Got Served,” and “To The End” each keep an upbeat tempo with an obvious metal influence. Other songs, such as “Move On” and “White Lies” slow down the pace, featuring more in common with Funeral For a Friend then any of the heavier comparisons stated earlier.

Icing the already tasty cake is Pierrick Berube’s dynamic vocals, ranging from melodic singing to screaming to low pitch growls. Pierrick even manges to write some superior lyrics, ranging from relationships on songs like “Amity” (Oh, I'm holding on for you / Let's finish this together. / Have you ever done something that makes you proud? / On and on, until it hands down. / I... I wanna have a good time) to songs about the band, like “Of Sound and Fury” (I don't wanna hear how much you're making. / Always telling me to change our sound, always trying hard to bring us down. / I said hey, I don't wanna say it, One look at our name and you hate it. / It don't mean shit, I'm over it.) I also almost forgot to mention it, but the songs are also exceedingly catchy, making the release just as memorable as it is notable

“White Lies” manages to effortlessly blend the guitar heaven found traditionally on metal albums with the sing-alongs and hooks of an emo/post-hardcore band. The album features outstanding musicianship, noteworthy technicality, and dynamic vocals, making it one of the year’s best releases. My only complaint is some of the songs start to sound similar towards the end and that some of the things done here have been done before, but each are only unimportant criticism, as “White Lies” is still the first album of the year that has been worth the hype.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
09:05 AM on 02/10/07
brokenwings
Tear the scene down, start over.
User Info.
this album really surprised me as well... a really good record
09:07 AM on 02/10/07
awretchlikeme
Bravo Bravado
User Info.
This band is horrible.
11:33 AM on 02/10/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.

Quick question, have you listened to this record? And if you've heard the few songs that have been posted online so far, I personally think that pretty much all of the other songs are far better.
03:16 PM on 02/10/07
ihitmykid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

you def havnt heard this record to be saying such things
10:19 AM on 02/11/07
coandca33
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I once heard the band called “A Wilhelm Scream gone emo.” While the tagging of emo isn’t as necessary here, the statement still holds true, as each band takes a technical stance on a genre not known for wowing it’s listeners with it’s astounding musicianship.

Um, I have no idea what you mean right here. Are you saying you once heard someone call LoveHateHero the equivalent of "A wilhelm scream gone emo"? And later, "as each band takes a technical stance" - what do you mean by "each band" - is that supposed to read "each song?"
03:58 PM on 02/11/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Basically the comparison I heard was saying that if the band A Wilhelm Scream became an emo band, then they would be Lovehatehero. See, each band is in a genre populated by bands that aren't overally technical, but both bands can flat out shred.
03:45 AM on 02/17/07
.Thisismyrifle.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great album!
06:02 AM on 02/24/07
lividman5k
User Info.
Their last CD was okay. Nothing really special, but one of the better releases in this genre. If their new records really is this great I'll check it out.
02:49 PM on 02/27/07
thelatestplague
alisha.
User Info.
I havent heard the new one yet, but I liked their last album. So I really need to go ahead and check this out. Thanks for the review.
08:54 PM on 03/11/07
Thi Man
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow i wanted to hate this band but i listened to the new cd ant it is really amazing! One of the best albums ive heard in a long time!!! The songs are catchy but have shreding solos and some creative changes!! Great review btw!!
07:56 AM on 05/23/09
drakey
User Info.
i got "Red Dress" on the Take Action 08 comp, and I loved it. after reading this, i'm definately picking up more from White Lies.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos