AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Canada News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Canadian Music Round-Up (01/01/11)

Posted by - 09:49 AM on 01/01/11
This week's Smallman Records Retrospective comes from Guy Smiley. The rest of the regular Canadian Music Round-Up can also be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
09:49 AM on 01/01/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Canadian Music Round-UpSmallman Retrospective:

I’ve been working on a retrospective for Smallman Records since as you may already know, the label closed its doors in 2010. If you want the long story about why I'm doing this, head here. But all you need to know is that I’ll be sharing little chunks from my project in this space. Today's excerpt comes from Guy Smiley. They were the second band the label officially signed:

“They had such a great reputation across western Canada,” remembers Rob Krause. “They would play in front of tons of people.”

One of these many tours was probably with Jason Smith’s band 12 Eyes. Being from Winnipeg it only made sense for them to join up with the Smallman guys as their Canadian label. Plus the band was working with a management company in New York and was unhappy with how that was going.

“We came back from New York and kind of wanted to stay local because we had been friends with them for a long time. We knew they would work hard,” explains the band's vocalist Derek Kun.

Can’t Turn Back was their Smallman debut in 1997 and the band kept touring, landing themselves on Snow Jam with H20. That band asked Guy Smiley to join them on a European tour, which led to one of punk’s most successful independent labels, Epitaph, picking them up in Europe. But two years later in 2000, the Canadian hardcore act had enough of being a band.

“It just got to the point where we were worn out, we did it as friends, but in the end we were all worn out with each other,” said Kun. He started his new band Burnthe8track shortly after and while they never signed with Smallman, Kun would phone up Krause when he had questions and he would help.

“It’s cool to have someone who grew up in punk rock, but can take care of the business side of things,” he says.

[button=http://smallmanrecords.com/mp3/GuySmiley_TheCanadianWay.mp3]Guy Smiley - "The Canadian Way"[/button]

[button=http://smallmanrecords.com/mp3/GuySmiley_Alkaline.mp3]Guy Smiley - "Alkaline"[/button]

Check Out The Previous Excerpts Too:

Layaway Plan
Moneen
The Reason

-----------------------------------------------------
In case you missed them during the week, here are the posts made about Canadian content:

Daggermouth on Vinyl

Drake Covered by Travis Barker

The Flatliners Postpone UK Tour

Fucked Up's Damian Abraham Interviews Brokencyde

New Mockingbird Wish Me Luck Material Featured on The 1st Five Comp

The Motel Life Acoustic EP

Propagandhi Podcast

------------------------------------------------------
Additional News:

Lots of Canadian media outlets like Chart Attack, the CBC, Exclaim! and Blare released their End of the Year lists. What do you think?

----------------------------------------------------
Additional Music and Videos:

Stars recently did a Daytrotter session.

Malajube recently played a new song called "Synesthesie" on a Quebec TV show called Mange Ta Ville.

A label based in St. Catharines called Indoor Shoes recently put out a compilation that you can grab here.

Owen Pallett released a free EP of demos.

-----------------------------------------------------
Additional Tour Dates:

Junior Battles announced a few new shows:

Jan 7 The Last Stand w/ REAL PEOPLE + DIRT EYES Buffalo, NY
Jan 8 Hi Five w/ SLINGSHOT DAKOTA Brooklyn, NY
Jan 9 The Fire w/ BOMB THE MUSIC INDUSTRY! + THE RIOT BEFORE + GREEK FAVORITES Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Jan 31 Hard Luck Bar w/ O PIONEERS!!! + HOSTAGE CALM Toronto, Ontario
Feb1 Call the Office w/ O PIONEERS!!! + HOSTAGE CALM London, Ontario

--------------------------------------------------
If you’d like to submit news for this round-up, email me at deborah.remus@absolutepunk.net or send me a PM with “Canadian Round-Up” in the subject line.
11:59 AM on 01/01/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
I was at that Sno jam with H20, Iam old...
04:37 PM on 01/01/11
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
Shad's record needs more love on those EOTY lists.
10:30 PM on 01/01/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I was at that Sno jam with H20, Iam old...

Awesome! Do you remember Guy Smiley's set? Either way, I'm glad to see at least one person recalls something from that blurb.

Shad's record needs more love on those EOTY lists.

I know, Shad rules.
03:59 AM on 01/02/11
Rid Ickulous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh, awesome!
I got into Guy Smiley because I bought "The Ocean" by BurnThe8Track. Very decent band, but I'm pretty sure that they were a total force in a live setting.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos