AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Almost There - Losing Someone to Find Yourself Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Almost There - Losing Someone to Find Yourself

Reviewed by: nick19 (01/03/11)
Almost There - Losing Someone to Find Yourself
Record Label: Self Released
Release Date: March 17, 2010

Almost There are a small band on the rise, with their songs receiving airplay all over their home state of New Jersey and their recent victory in the national “The Artist Direct Discovery Contest” sponsored by Myspace Records. The attention is well-deserved, too, because Eddie Soles (guitar/vocals), Zach Sicherman (bass/vocals), and Phill Serzan (drums) showcase a strong sense of musicianship and talent on their Losing Someone to Find Yourself EP. The songs are hard-hitting, and the release as a whole succeeds in leaving listeners wanting more.

“Can I Take You Home” kicks off the EP sounding like a much edgier Panic at the Disco song as it features an orchestral opening and good vocals before the soaring chorus and a guitar solo sure to send fists flying into the air. The fast-paced “A Fine Night to Overdose” follows the explosive opener quite well with an attention-grabbing guitar riff and quality lyrics that include lines like “I think you do it just to spite me…this is no matter to be taken lightly.” After this track packs such a strong punch, the band decides to follow it with a reggae/ska-infused offering by the name of “After All.” The verses here are grooving and the harmonies are excellent, but the chorus leaves much to be desired, especially given how infectious the previous tracks were. Closing out the EP is “Last Laugh,” a vengeful track about betrayal that brings back the pure rock-n-roll vibes. Pounding drums complement fiery guitar shredding in the bridge, and the lyrics are top-notch as well with declarations that include “thank you for the good advice/I believe you told me, give up, you’re never gonna get it right.” It is an excellent closer that ends the EP with a bang.

Almost There still have work to do if they wish to craft a truly memorable release without any filler, but Losing Someone to Find Yourself is a great start. It goes by fast and leaves listeners wanting more, but a track like “After All” creates some skepticism as to what style the band may pursue. Nonetheless, this EP is worth a listen and shows enough promise to generate a strong interest in the band’s latest release, the Silver Lake EP.

Recommended If You LikePanic at the Disco, The Expendables

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums