AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

DJ Rossstar Tonight

Posted by - 03:11 PM on 01/05/11
Winds of Plague and Johnny Franck (ex-Attack Attack) are on DJ Rossstar's Punk Rock Show tonight at 7 PM PST.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
03:17 PM on 01/05/11
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
Well.

edit: oh, I thought that said he was in Winds of Plague now.
03:18 PM on 01/05/11
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
Random combination?
03:20 PM on 01/05/11
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
this sounds horrible
03:28 PM on 01/05/11
Capulet
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wait wait

johnny who ?
03:52 PM on 01/05/11
StepsInADance
taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com
User Info.
Eww
04:22 PM on 01/05/11
MusicSnob&Proud
Music Snob
User Info.
anxious to hear about johnnys new project...but not so much for winds of plague.
04:29 PM on 01/05/11
heyiamcody
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I can't believe this guy still has a show. He has the most random and worthless guests.
04:36 PM on 01/05/11
djrossstar2009
User Info.
Of course I do. I started my show in 2002 by myself. Therefore I have no reason to stop unless I want to.

I find it a little extreme to say that I only interview 'worthless' musicians. I have done over 1000 interviews in almost 9 years.

I am sure many of your favorite artists have been on my show & if not, please post a list so I can book them immediately.

I am sorry if WOP is not your thing, but my show is about discovering new music & interacting with your favorite artists.

Last year alone I had everyone from The Pretty Reckless to 100 Monkeys to Juliet Lewis to Frank & Derol!

DJ Rossstar
07:06 PM on 01/05/11
xsandwichesx
Back from hiatus
User Info.
Lol.
07:49 PM on 01/05/11
heyiamcody
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Of course I do. I started my show in 2002 by myself. Therefore I have no reason to stop unless I want to.

I find it a little extreme to say that I only interview 'worthless' musicians. I have done over 1000 interviews in almost 9 years.

I am sure many of your favorite artists have been on my show & if not, please post a list so I can book them immediately.

I am sorry if WOP is not your thing, but my show is about discovering new music & interacting with your favorite artists.

Last year alone I had everyone from The Pretty Reckless to 100 Monkeys to Juliet Lewis to Frank & Derol!

DJ Rossstar
I'm not arguing that you've interviewed a lot of artists in the past and I'm not suggesting that every interview is random and worthless. But as a whole, you've got to admit that the quality of your guests in a majority sense have struggled to hold relevancy. It just seems that the quality of your guests have been progressively getting worse and less notable as you go with an occasional surprise here and there. And how have you managed to go this long without being able to monetize your show? I guess if it's all in the name of fun, there's no need to worry about those things. At any rate, if this is simply a hobby and something you're doing for the love of music, then who am I to say anything, right? Keep doing what you love.
08:06 PM on 01/05/11
djrossstar2009
User Info.
Thank you for being honest. I don't want to discuss money issues on this site, however, if you have watched the show in 2010, you would have noticed that many companies have since jumped on board to support the show (Smarties, Pirate Booty, Honest Tea, etc.) & like any actual radio station/tv station, the only way to make money is from advertising, unless someone pays you as an employee to host on their network/program.

As for the quality of my guests, the honest truth is that I became a bit bored of just interviewing popular artists in the pop-punk/emo community because they all have similar influences and therefor tend to give similar answers. It just started to become a little too repetitive and for the sake of keeping myself deeply interested in my own work, I decided to expand the roster completely last year, delving into such genres as indie, pop, acoustic, metal & even some hip-hop.

I didn't start this show to only interview the biggest artists imaginable. That was something that came on its own. I enjoy helping out artists on the rise because they need all the help they can get at this point in their careers. While you will still see mainstream artists on my show (last year I interviewed AFI, Atreyu, etc.), it's also exciting to help out the little fish too (don't forget Katy Perry was on this show in 2007, months before she even had a single out)!

DJ Rossstar
09:04 PM on 01/05/11
heyiamcody
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank you for being honest. I don't want to discuss money issues on this site, however, if you have watched the show in 2010, you would have noticed that many companies have since jumped on board to support the show (Smarties, Pirate Booty, Honest Tea, etc.) & like any actual radio station/tv station, the only way to make money is from advertising, unless someone pays you as an employee to host on their network/program.

As for the quality of my guests, the honest truth is that I became a bit bored of just interviewing popular artists in the pop-punk/emo community because they all have similar influences and therefor tend to give similar answers. It just started to become a little too repetitive and for the sake of keeping myself deeply interested in my own work, I decided to expand the roster completely last year, delving into such genres as indie, pop, acoustic, metal & even some hip-hop.

I didn't start this show to only interview the biggest artists imaginable. That was something that came on its own. I enjoy helping out artists on the rise because they need all the help they can get at this point in their careers. While you will still see mainstream artists on my show (last year I interviewed AFI, Atreyu, etc.), it's also exciting to help out the little fish too (don't forget Katy Perry was on this show in 2007, months before she even had a single out)!

DJ Rossstar
If you don't see the need to brand your show to a certain level of quality and popularity in terms of the artists you interview on a regular basis, it's hard to have confidence that you're the type of host that should be given the type of professional consideration that I'm guessing you're striving for.

Your personal boredom could probably be curbed by approaching a more popular group of artists from a new and more exciting angle or attempting to show them in a light that challenges your ability as a host and interests your fans in ways that you find more engaging for yourself and audience. There are plenty of great artists in all sorts of genres that you could interview while building your platform to a level that would be more suiting to offering these random artists a spotlight. If it's all artists that nobody is familiar with, you'll just continue to lose interest from your fans.

It really does sound like you're happy with where things are at with your show. It just seems like you could do a lot more even with the level the show is at now. I'm not going to try and dog on you or anything and I realize that's how it may sound. I think anyone trying to do something like this takes a lot of guts and probably a lot of work and for that you should be commended. While I'm not a fan of the direction your show seems to have gone, anyone that's willing to put themselves out there like that deserves an attaboy.
09:14 PM on 01/05/11
djrossstar2009
User Info.
You are a very strong writer. Do you work for a publication? If not, you should highly consider it. It's great to finally have a professional conversation with a member of AP.net. While I appreciate your critique, I love the format of my show & I will continue to host it my way. I do two shows every single week. It's impossible to have giant artists on every single time. Don't forget I book all my own guests too. I do everything here myself. I also do other things during the many many hours I am not hosting, so PM me if you want to talk business.

Do you live in LA? Are you planning to visit? Would love to meet up.
10:33 PM on 01/05/11
heyiamcody
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You are a very strong writer. Do you work for a publication? If not, you should highly consider it. It's great to finally have a professional conversation with a member of AP.net. While I appreciate your critique, I love the format of my show & I will continue to host it my way. I do two shows every single week. It's impossible to have giant artists on every single time. Don't forget I book all my own guests too. I do everything here myself. I also do other things during the many many hours I am not hosting, so PM me if you want to talk business.

Do you live in LA? Are you planning to visit? Would love to meet up.
haha I'm no professional writer, that's for sure. I don't live in LA. I live in Northern California. But if you need anything written, hit me up! :)

Best of luck with your show. I mean that honestly. Whether you achieve commercial success or not, being happy in what you're doing is worth more than money sometimes.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos