AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Still Rings True - Anger Is A Gift Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Still Rings True - Anger Is A Gift

Reviewed by: Christian Wagner (01/05/11)
Still Rings True - Anger Is A Gift
Record Label: Third Time Lucky Records
Release Date: November 15, 2010

Whatever happened to pissed off pop-punk? You know, when bands would just play raw, fast, music with a message behind it. Meet Still Rings True from Watertown, NY. The three piece has been doing it DIY for several years but finally landed a deal with Third Time Lucky Records and the partnership gives us an in-your-face four song EP that clocks in at around fifteen minutes.

The EP actually starts with a movie sound clip that does not start off the release in a positive manner, but patience is a virtue and it certainly pays off as "What We Carry Inside" hits you hard and fast. One of my favorite things about Still Rings True is their lyrics. The subject matter is just very easy to relate to for me. One of my favorite lines ever in a song is said in the first verse, "We measure worth by what we carry inside." It's a tongue-in-cheek line that hits home for everyone as we collectively determine social statuses and the value of someone based on their monetary wealth. The fact of the matter is I think the people I enjoy hanging out with the most are the ones that don't attach themselves to material possessions.

The other song that I really enjoy is the last track, "I Am The Ghost." Once again, it's a fast-paced song keeps your blood flowing the entire time. "Instead of me changing the world, the world is changing me." Such a powerful line screamed by Still Rings True's vocalist Josh who bellows for the hope of a positive future. Once again, a relatable subject for me elevates this to a level above many of the modern pop-punk bands.

Anger Is A Gift is a diamond in the rough for listeners that are looking for some pissed off pop-punk. They have grown immensely from their early days and this is just the beginning for an incredible band.

RIYLTransit, early Set Your Goals, Crime In Stereo's The Troubled Stateside

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17.
06:39 PM on 01/05/11
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
Love these guys, but I've yet to check out this EP for some reason. I'll be changing that tonight.
06:43 PM on 01/05/11
amtrack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
:)
09:56 PM on 01/05/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love these guys, but I've yet to check out this EP for some reason. I'll be changing that tonight.
Do it dude. So worth it.
12:50 AM on 01/06/11
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
You're right. So good.
08:15 AM on 01/06/11
mikefuckingbrag
User Info.
Just played with these guys this past Monday and I gotta say, if you like their recordings then you'll love their live performance. Very energetic, I was really impressed. Awesome guys as well.
11:57 AM on 01/06/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Playing with these guys on January 29th at The Lost Horizon in Syracuse with Honor Bright. Will be an awesome show if you live anywhere around there!
06:20 PM on 01/06/11
SkateFirm21
on the brightside, she could choke.
User Info.
played a release show for this EP. Really good dudes trying to put out a message, and this EP is really solid.
10:44 PM on 01/06/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Playing with these guys on January 29th at The Lost Horizon in Syracuse with Honor Bright. Will be an awesome show if you live anywhere around there!
You dudes were got at Warped this summer...never got to tell you.
11:07 PM on 01/06/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
You dudes were got at Warped this summer...never got to tell you.
What? haha

Edit:
Wait, you saw us at Warped?
11:33 PM on 01/06/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What? haha

Edit:
Wait, you saw us at Warped?
Yea dude, I work with the band Terror On The Screen. You guys were on right after us. I caught some of your set. Good stuff.
11:42 PM on 01/06/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yea dude, I work with the band Terror On The Screen. You guys were on right after us. I caught some of your set. Good stuff.
Oh damn! We love them. I didn't realize you were from around here. Thanks a lot man! And if you haven't check out our facebook: facebook.com/gbcrock.
11:48 PM on 01/06/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh damn! We love them. I didn't realize you were from around here. Thanks a lot man! And if you haven't check out our facebook: facebook.com/gbcrock.
I go to school in Scranton but am from NJ.
11:55 PM on 01/06/11
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I go to school in Scranton but am from NJ.
Oh sweet! What school do you go to?

And, don't you sometimes do the Self Promotion Spotlight?
12:00 AM on 01/07/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh sweet! What school do you go to?

And, don't you sometimes do the Self Promotion Spotlight?
I go to Marywood and I sometimes do the Self Promo....ah....wait...I see what you did there.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests