AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Stay Ahead of the Weather - We Better Get Goin' If... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.2
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.15
Production 8.35
Creativity 9.1
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.35
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Stay Ahead of the Weather - We Better Get Goin' If...

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (01/05/11)
Stay Ahead of the Weather - We Better Get Goin' If We're Gonna
Release Date: December 7, 2010
Record Label: No Sleep Records

Supergroups are clearly "in" these days. Stay Ahead of the Weather, featuring Evan Weiss of Into It. Over It. on guitar and vocals, Nick Wakim of CSTVT on drums, and Bobby Markos of Native on bass, is no exception. With all this talent on board, this should be called nothing but a supergroup. The fact that the band's first release was put out by No Sleep Records just adds to the reasons that you should be licking your chops before you even sink your teeth into it.

Then there's the EP itself. To put it shortly, We Better Get Goin' If We're Gonna delivers hard. We get five songs that total just under 13 minutes, but every single second is made of solid gold. There are no bad notes on this release. Stay Ahead of the Weather is the band that is actually harking back to the old days of pop punk. Plenty of people (like me) have said that there are a handful of bands doing pop punk the way it used to be done (a la the right way), but this band makes most of those bands look stale and old and crusty and not even worth listening to really. I'm not saying that Stay Ahead of the Weather are the best thing out there; in fact, they are a ways away from it. But considering they have only released five songs, they're pretty high on the pecking order.

The group's brand of Midwestern pop punk/emo is something that you might have heard before, but maybe you haven't heard it done quite this well. There is no shortage of impassioned drum fills, focused, buzzing guitar lines, or hook-laden choruses. What you won't find here are gimmicks of any kind: we don't hear a single breakdown, we don't hear any unnecessary special effects, and we don't hear anything that seems forced or unnatural. But we wouldn't expect anything different from the guys in this group, would we?

Perhaps what is a little surprising with this release is just how instantly likable and accessible it is. Weiss' vocals prove to fit in just fine with Stay Ahead of the Weather's rougher edges, and the guitar work provided by Weiss and Matt Jordan is something that aspiring bands should study and take notes on. Through the opener, "Get Old Or Die Tryin'", and it's successor, "Impressions & Impressing People", the guitar work and overall chemistry of the band are the aspects that stick out most. Considering that these guys are all from different bands, they mesh together astonishing well, and it is apparent that every single part of this EP was well thought-out and impressively put together. Not to sound repetitive, but the highest compliment I can pay this release is that there is really no single bad or sour moment on it.

"Sorority Social Suicide" is certainly carried by its buoyant chorus, one that sticks with the listener past a few spins. Weiss belts out, "What makes girls your age skip the interesting stage?" and closes the song with the one-liner, "If ignorance is bliss, I'll move out now." Each song on We Better Get Goin' If We're Gonna is highlighted by a slightly different aspect of the band, showing the group's versatility and full range of talent. However, the songs aren't different enough to sound choppy when played all at once and the EP as a whole is a spectacular entity. The final two cuts, "No Sleep Till Humboldt" and "Butchering A Back Catalog", feature somewhat subtle gang vocals that provide these extraordinary moments of wonder, cementing this EP as one of the most quality releases of late 2010.

If you haven't heard We Better Get Goin' If We're Gonna yet, well, what are you waiting for? If it wasn't the best way to close out last year, then it can be the best way to open this year. Either way, only time will tell where Stay Ahead of the Weather will fit in among the No Sleep/Run for Cover scene. With how tight-knit the scene is, listeners around the country will probably have the chance to see this band live at some point, most likely with a fantastic lineup. Will these four scholarly men continue and do more awesome stuff under their supergroup moniker? Who knows. Hopefully. But if this EP is the only thing we get from Stay Ahead of the Weather, then it was well worth it.

Recommended If You LikeEarly 2000s Midwestern pop-punk/emo, other awesome RFC/No Sleep bands
Follow Me On TwitterToday you can watch me tweet the entire first day of my spring semester.
Bare Essentials1. Get Old Or Die Tryin'
2. Impressions & Impressing People
3. Sorority Social Suicide
4. No Sleep Till Humboldt
5. Butchering A Back Catalog
Produced By: Mark Michalik, Run Time: 12 and a half minutes or so.
Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars, oh yeah.
Buy It

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
09:54 PM on 01/05/11
ZachCTC
Accept the pain, always forgive.
User Info.
first. this band is so sick. i've seen matt in a few different bands around here, good to see it's finally working out. it's an EP definitely worth buying and they're a worthy addition to the no sleep roster.
03:55 AM on 01/06/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Definitely want this E.P.

edit/I'll read the review later.
07:37 AM on 01/06/11
Fourchordwonder
This whole thing was unstoppable
User Info.
One of the best releases of the year.
07:56 AM on 01/06/11
lgfuad82
Ender will save us all
User Info.
One of the best releases of the year.
I hope that's sarcasm - it is only 6th January.

Will check this ou though.
08:18 AM on 01/06/11
leaving_astoria
get old or die trying
User Info.

Release Date: December 7, 2010
08:19 AM on 01/06/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
My third or fourth favorite EP all year. I love Evan's voice with some more complex music behind it.
08:22 AM on 01/06/11
pennyflipnfe
User Info.
great ep
08:51 AM on 01/06/11
Fourchordwonder
This whole thing was unstoppable
User Info.

Yep, definitely meant 2010 - the year it came out.
08:57 AM on 01/06/11
KingsCrossing
What are you waiting for?
User Info.
These guys and Daytrader are gonna kill it this year.
09:27 AM on 01/06/11
x1wingdangel
Super Nothing
User Info.
saw these guys a few days ago. It was intense. Loved the review. I've been listening to this a lot recently. I also heard they wrote a follow-up EP already.
09:28 AM on 01/06/11
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
EP is great, been jammin out to it for the last few weeks.

Oh yeah, actually read the review. Seems weird that this is being compared to pop-punk so much. I think it's much more along the lines of 90s emo, or post hardcore, just the variety without screaming.
09:32 AM on 01/06/11
Colinmac36
User Info.
These guys and Daytrader are gonna kill it this year.
this
10:09 AM on 01/06/11
SincerelyMe
Long live the car crash hearts
User Info.
Need to get my hands on this.
10:42 AM on 01/06/11
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
been meaning to check this out.
Options