AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Our Life Story - Shorelines EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 10
Production 10
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 10
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 100%
Inside AP.net

Our Life Story - Shorelines EP

Reviewed by: DylanPPPP (01/05/11)
Our Life StoryShorelines
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 16, 2010

“Fuck this town!” Quite possibly one of the most cliché themes to be used in a pop-punk song. A genre that is well-known for being rather rebellious when it comes to lyrical content. It seems that no matter what complications arise in the life of a young pop-punk writer, their most headache-inducing obstacle is how miserable their hometown makes them. And "Fuck this town!" are the exact words belted at the chorus of the opening track to Minneapolis, Minnesota quintet, Our Life Story's first EP, titled Shorelines.

Being the very first piece of studio recorded material that Our Life Story has released, Shorelines is a great demonstration of what great pop-punk bands accomplish very early in their careers. This short and sweet EP showcases 5 tracks of fun, hardcore-influenced pop-punk jams that will take many of us back to our earlier days of singing along to The Get Up Kids and hanging up those New Found Glory posters upon our walls.

Opener, "Watch Your Six" is the very anthem that I had previously described that is the regulation of what this band has to offer. With something that almost sounds like a *hype* The Upsides B-side *hype*, Our Life Story delivers the perpetual pop-punk method that most of us know and love. Above average singing, along with fast-paced drums and hook-laden guitar riffs. Next track, "No Guts, No Glory" offers the same formula, but with an aggrandized pace, transcending perfectly into the acoustic driven (yet still brisk tempo) of "For Future Reference," while "Shipwrecked" reveals the heavier, more urgent side of Our Life Story. At times resembling, (faintly) bands like Senses Fail and Taking Back Sunday. And closer "Beaten by the Punch," comes off as a three and a half minute Blink-182/The Wonder Years hybrid.

After numerous listens, I ask myself is this a quintessential pop-punk EP of the last decade? Of course not. Yes, it is a very appreciable effort by a young group without much experience as a band, but they are in no way reinventing the wheel. Now, is Our Life Story a band to look out for in the future? Absolutely.

Recommended If You LikeThe Wonder Years, Transit, I Call Fives, Set Your Goals, Blink-182's Dude Ranch

Go Listen ToFor Future Reference, Beaten by the Punch

http://myspace.com/ourlifestorymn

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
01:29 PM on 01/11/11
DylanPPPP
snooch to the nooch mother fucker
User Info.
Not many people will probably read this, but on a site that values pop-punk, I really hope whoever does will give them a shot.
02:03 PM on 02/04/11
gurby
the kids can't lose
User Info.
nice to see someone review their ep on here. such gold is one band you didn't mention that i always tend to relate them to. anyone into any sort of pop-punk stuff should definitely check them out.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums