AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Morning After Girls, The - Alone Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Morning After Girls, The - Alone

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (01/05/11)
Morning After Girls, TheAlone
Record Label: Xemu Records
Release Date: January 11, 2011

Who?

The Morning After Girls are an Aussie 5-piece that mash a bunch of 80’s and 90’s indie influences together and somehow emerge with a cohesive, breathtaking sound. They’ve been compared to bands like My Bloody Valentine and Jesus and Mary Chain – and personally I hear some The Bends-era Radiohead vibe, too – but their end sound aims more for transcendence than that of their peers.

How is it?

According to members of the band, Alone was recorded in a refurbished church. “There was two ambient room mics hanging from the highest beam of the church, which captured this natural cavernous effect,” says vocalist Sacha Lucashenko. “We used them on everything, there’s no digital effects on the album at all. I’m not a religious man but there was a spirit to that place that left a stamp on these songs.” Whatever that “spirit” is, it’s evident on the album. Alone is a 12-track casket of downcast disposition, ethereal expanses, and hair-raising otherworldliness.

And somewhere, among all those mystical adjectives, The Morning After Girls manage to hold my attention. Never once does the music place aura above accessibility and stoop to unnecessary bombast. “Alone” might be the most seamless blend of pop drive and magical atmosphere to appear in years. The bridge is pure bliss too when it hones a guitar line under spacey effects. “Death Processions” cranks up those honed guitar lines and blares them like they’re hell-bent on broadcasting shoegaze to the whole world. And “The General Public” is part enigmatic, part downright contagious.

The best part is when things slow down, though. “Still Falling” is pristine the way its acoustic chords pave the path for full blown dynamics, making for one of the more entrancing tracks on the album. But nothing compares to “Part of Your Nature’s” heavenly yearn, which is just heartbreakingly beautiful – you’ll be more than hard-pressed to find a more lovely (recently written) song. That’s pretty much where Alone sits – you can point out the dense shoegaze influence, the occasional Brit-rock flares, anything, but in the end it does a good job of reaching past genre boundaries and into your soul.

Recommended If You Likeshoegaze, My Bloody Valentine, Jesus and Mary Chain, The Bends-era Radiohead, Coldplay (but much more sophisticated)

Track list1. A New Silence
2. The Best Explanation
3. The General Public
4. Alone
5. Death Processions
6. Part of Your Nature
7. You Need to Die
8. To Be Your Loss
9. There's A Taking
10. Still Falling
11. Who Is They
12. Tomorrow's Time

Find The Morning After Girls on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:57 AM on 01/06/11
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Never heard of them.

That "natural cavernous effect" sounds super cool though. Will definitely check them out.
09:01 AM on 01/06/11
mikewluvpunk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how to listen the f*&^kng songs
06:16 PM on 01/08/11
diarrhea
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
holy shit. best thing i've heard in a while.
01:30 AM on 01/09/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
They are Aussie and you have compared them to Radiohead and MBV.
I should probably just buy this but I'll check it out first.
Just in case I can't trust you.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums