Password

Album Review

The Scorpions - Sting in The Tail Album Cover

The Scorpions - Sting in The Tail

Reviewed by
Scorpions - Sting in the Tail
Record Label: Sony Music Germany
Release Date: March 23, 2010
When I read that the CD I’d be reviewing Scorpions: Sting in the Tail was supposedly the bands “last album”, my original thought was “Well that’s about two decades too late”. However 10 seconds into the opening track Raised on Rock I realized that Scorpions presents us with an old-school rock sound that the radio has greatly been missing. This is cock-rock incarnate.

Most of us know Scorpions massive 1984 hit Rock You (like a Hurricane). While the band remained popular in many countries (including their home land in German), in America they’ve remained a one-hit wonder most popular on college radio stations and bar staple for over twenty years. Sting in the Tail shows us what we’ve been missing for the last few years.

This album is loud and in your face Rock’n’Roll. Containing such metal lyrics as “shake me/bake me/break me/ take me where the sun don’t shine/cruise me/choose me/use me/bruise me/ make me lose my mind” (Slave Me) take us back to the simpler days of radio rock during the mid-80s. But don’t be fooled, this is not all vintage sounding Hair Metal throwbacks. To be honest this album reminded me more of my own childhood listening to 90’s alternative rock.

Not all the tracks are winners, but even on the worst tracks like The Good Die Young Klaus Meine’s voice and Matthias Jabs guitar work are undeniably powerful. It’s not a CD you’ll see yourself listening to repeatedly, but it’ll make you want to check out the rest of their discography. After 17 albums, and 45 years of performing it’s good to hear a band still rocking this hard. If this really is their final album, they couldn’t have gone out on a stronger note.

Recommended If You LikeOld School Rock-N-Roll, Hair Metal of the 80s, 90's Alternative Rock, the Song Rock You (Like You a Hurricane)

myspace.com/officialscorpions
This review is a user submitted review from chordsforacure. You can see all of chordsforacure's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
10:10 AM on 01/13/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
holy shit I didn't even know this band was still around/made that many records/was actually that freakin old! Great review man, I just might have to check it out.
11:43 PM on 01/23/11
Knifeovich
We are the music makers...
User Info.
Glad to see that they haven't been affected by the "Wind of Change" they tried to warn us about!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos