AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
My Favorite Highway - Anywhere But Here [EP] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.06
Musicianship 8.53
Lyrics 8.47
Production 9.17
Creativity 8.44
Lasting Value 8.72
Reviewer Tilt 8.69
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

My Favorite Highway - Anywhere But Here [EP]

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (02/09/07)
My Favorite Highway Anywhere But Here EP
Release Date: Late 2006
Record Label: Unsigned

Who loves to shake their ass? Oh admit it, we all do. Whether in the shower, on the dance floor, or at the most inopportune moments, ass shaking is pretty much a requirement for survival. My Favorite Highway knows that, and they are happy to oblige. Anywhere But Here is the newest release from the band (their second), and provides five more pop cuts with enough sugar to overload any diabetic.

My Favorite Highway has perfected the art of the pop song, and they have yet to release a full-length record. David Cook's breathy vocals don't display a ton of range, but he makes up for it with pleasant tone reminiscent of Cartel's Will Pugh. The opener, titled "Closer," is an upbeat power-pop track, which surprisingly doesn't live and die by the synthesizer. Instead, the synth accents an already strong piece of music, sucking the listener in for a closer (pardon the pun) examination. "Bad Habits" rolls along at a similar tempo, delivering a catchy chorus with some cleverly unexpected lyrics for a solid one-two punch to open the EP. Leaning heavily on the piano for "You're Making It Come Alive," we get to see My Favorite Highway spin a radio-ready ballad that you cannot easily forget.

The remaining two tracks take the band down a different road, which also shows that they have a little more work to do before they can take the music industry by storm. "Unaware" and "Calendar Marks" are both solid songs (the former more memorable lyrically than the latter), but they stick together a bit too much. Both could benefit from some pizzazz in the form of richer instrumental work. Despite a few hiccups, Anywhere But Here is a very solid EP that comes highly recommended.

Overall, My Favorite Highway has made quite the splash with their second EP, and I hope some enterprising label makes them an offer they cannot refuse. This band has already won over most of Virginia with their music, and the rest of the nation isn't far behind. With some more fan support behind them and natural musical progression sure to follow, the sky is the limit for My Favorite Highway. Get addicted before MFH becomes a household name.
Track List1. Closer
2. Bad Habits
3. You're Making It Come Alive
4. Unaware
5. Calendar Marks
Listen to My Favorite HighwayMyspace | AP.net Profile | Buy on iTunes

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
05:32 AM on 02/09/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
I'll be honest, I never thought I'd see the phrase "ass-shaking" associated with My Favorite Highway
06:16 AM on 02/09/07
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
Great review Tony! I really like these guys.
07:34 AM on 02/09/07
iamkrantzzz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love love love this cd.
08:22 AM on 02/09/07
watchmyheadspin
amsa
User Info.
I adore this cd and this band....haha (understatement...haha) i liked the original version of Unaware better but it's still a great song. They defs should have used Counterfeit on this EP. haha
09:02 AM on 02/09/07
average_jane
poppunkjunkie.blogspot.co m
User Info.
I adore this cd and this band....haha (understatement...haha) i liked the original version of Unaware better but it's still a great song. They defs should have used Counterfeit on this EP. haha

haha, i will die laughing if they ever put Counterfeit on a CD.

and who doesn't like the original version of Unaware better? I'll be singing the line about fast cars and mixtapes at every show for the rest of forever.
09:54 AM on 02/09/07
joshuagilbert
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

haha
09:56 AM on 02/09/07
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Nice, my friend let me borrow this. Pretty good stuff.
11:32 AM on 02/09/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I have both eps. I love this band
11:37 AM on 02/09/07
Robert
User Info.
bought this ep on itunes a few weeks ago and it rules
01:15 PM on 02/09/07
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
User Info.
I love MFH.
01:20 PM on 02/09/07
feelthepressure
User Info.
Anywhere But Here is a name of a film. I've only heard one song by MFH, but I'll definitely check out this EP. Nice review.
02:37 PM on 02/09/07
snakeinmyboots
Fight the Fight
User Info.
this guys are so good...they will be next once they get signed.
03:09 PM on 02/09/07
jacnrh
Let's Go Oakland
User Info.
It would be tight if they ever used Counterfeit again, but they really never will.
Basically, they hate it. Ha. [Lame]. At least they played it at the EP Release.

I'm very proud of these boys for doing so well already. They have won over so many and will go far.

MFH is ass-shaking? I don't quite know about that, but alright. Ha.
03:42 PM on 02/09/07
backstagebethy
part-time punk
User Info.
what a great band. good review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives