Album Review

Open Hand - Honey Album Cover

Open Hand - Honey

Reviewed by
Open Hand - Honey
Record Label: Anodyne Records
Release Date: April 20,2010
Who?

Open Hand are an indie-rock band from Hollywood, California that have been very quiet over the past few years. After self-releasing two EPs, the group signed to Trustkill Records in 2002. The band released two albums on the label: 2003's The Dream(collection of both EPs and a new song) and 2005's masterpiece You and Me. The band went on the road to tour along with bands such as Thursday, My Chemical Romance and The Juliana Theory. Nobody has heard from the band since 2007 but the group resurfaced with a new band member, keyboardist/vocalist Euriel Leonae aka Spankie Valentine. The band released their third album Honey on new label Anodyne Records.

How is it?

Honey will be sure to please longtime Open Hand fans and garner new fans as well. The opening track "Herrons" opens with a sample from the movie "Commando" before driving guitars and oh-so-heavenly "ooh-ooh-ooh"s come rushing in. The song features guest vocals from Matt Talbott from alternative rock band Hum (Talbott also does vocals on the title track). "Son of A Gun" is a rocking track which will have everybody singing along to its catchy chorus. "Old Hat" is a song that was originally featured in the Trustkill Takeover Vol 2 compilation back in 2006. The new version recorded for the album sounds more full and energetic. "The Valley" is a rap song featuring Christopher "Kid" Reid from 90s hip hop duo Kid N Play. Reid proclaims "You gets no love when you're down in the valley" while the band whispers "This is the sound of my heart taking over,my frustrations are so far out." This is one of the most accessible songs the band has even written. The only con about this album is the Ke$ha meets Millionaires track "The Angels" which is instantly a throwaway track. Its two minute mark doesn't make up for it being a cheesy attempt at a dance track. With 17 tracks clocking in at 50 minutes, Honey is a great showing of Open Hand's abilities to utilize all types of genres whether it's hip hop, psychedelic rock or (sigh) dance music. Honey also proves that Open Hand are one of the most underrated bands in the scene right now.

Recommended If You LikeOpen Hand,indie rock

Go Download"Herrons","Bre","Son of A Gun","The Valley"

Don't Download"The Angels"

Tracklisting
1."Herrons" (Featuring Matt Talbot)
2."Bre"
3."The Hand"
4."Son of a Gun" (Featuring Brodie Rush)
5."So Far"
6."Honey" (Featuring Matt Talbot)
7."Old Hat"
8."The Valley" (Featuring Christopher "Kid" Reid)
9."Cartwright Kid"
10."Risky"
11."So Low"
12."Cool"
13."What Is This?"
14."Pilgrim"
15."The Angels"
16."Golden"
17."Midnight Sun"

http://www.myspace.com/openhand
This review is a user submitted review from TerrancePryor. You can see all of TerrancePryor's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
03:28 PM on 01/16/11
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
I thought they broke up. I'll have to acquire this.
03:54 PM on 01/16/11
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I used to love You And Me way back. still need to listen to this
05:44 PM on 01/16/11
onautolux
CC
User Info.
Wow...no idea this came out, let alone months ago. Great promo, Anodyne!
08:34 PM on 01/16/11
Sunken In
All I think about is floating away
User Info.
I love this album, I feel like it hasn't gotten enough attention.
My recommended tracks would be completely different though
My favorites are:
Honey
Risky
Golden
Bre
10:38 PM on 01/16/11
kennedyAM
Every Never Is Now
User Info.
this takes me back to the days of kazaa and having 'the dream' always come up as Thursday.

Regardless, glad to hear they are back, and hope this CD is like the previous two.
03:37 AM on 01/17/11
kazuma_ootaro28
User Info.
this takes me back to the days of kazaa and having 'the dream' always come up as Thursday.

Regardless, glad to hear they are back, and hope this CD is like the previous two.
Haha, that's how I found out about this band. Good old days indeed.
08:03 AM on 01/17/11
Sunken In
All I think about is floating away
User Info.
Haha, that's how I found out about this band. Good old days indeed.
Me too! A friend was like, here listen to Thursday..and she made me a mix and the dream was in there. Took me so long to figure out who it really was.
06:22 PM on 03/22/14
bananacar89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Would anyone at all know where I could find a copy of the lyrics for "Bre" from this album?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos