AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship 10
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.5
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 95%
Member Ratings
Musicianship 9.5
Production 9.19
Creativity 8.81
Lasting Value 8.31
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 90%

Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders

Reviewed by: kevinAIWW (01/11/11)
Animals As Leaders - Animals As Leaders
Record Label: Prosthetic Records
Release Date: April 28, 2009

Animals As Leaders is art for the ears. However all of this piece of work is coming from practically by one man, by the name of Tosin Abasi (ex-Reflux guitarist) in an effort to keep his seat alive after the dispersing of Reflux into other projects (as requested by Prosthetic Records). Tosin initially refused but ended up graciously accepting after attending The Atlanta Institute of Music, where he studied fundamental harmony, jazz playing standards, and classical guitar. This is exactly the portrayal of style that you hear on the self titled debut, that is Animals As Leaders.

Under the wing of producer, and guitarist, Misha Mansoor (Periphery, Bulb), Tosin produced works that incorporated djent, jazz, classical, and over-all clean/dreamy sounds. Backed up by drummer, Navene Koperweis (ex-Animosity, Sleep Terror, also in Fleshwrought) and rhythm guitarist, Javier Reyes. Together, the three different races of men produce a foot to the face in the music industry.

Let's start by explaining the song called "CAFO". The song opens with mind-blowing fast sweeps given by Tosin, as well as an effects loop that will keep that track playing, followed by an off-beat and confusing djent breakdown (in a different time signature). This fully instrumental song needs no vocals. Tosin then proceeds to play a solo that leaves people asking for just a little bit more. Abasi is stellar throughout the disc and never fails to impress with his fantastic technical prowess, but being skilled at an instrument can only get you so far. Tosin just keeps his deliverance coming throughout with two-handed sweeping techniques and solo work.

The amazing part about this is that it is played on an 8 string guitar (as well as the rest of the album), so the fluency in Tosin's work make the playing even more ridiculous. Once any solo is over, normally Tosin incorporates a clean finger-picking riff. This always tends to throw his audience off, and put them in awe with a soothing jazz sound, because he tends to play some sort of sweeping pattern with clean chord progressions (with only his fingers), as well as bass lines on his eighth string (tuned to E, one octave below standard).

I do not have much else to say about Animals As Leaders. It is just something that the audience will have to hear. I will admit that I have never heard a more interesting, and mind-boggling album. I only need to break down one song for this album for you to know that it's just about jazz, and showing off in the most artistic way possible. It's all about solos, and some breakdowns. It's all about many clean riffs, where you would think, "that has to be the other guitarist playing with him." That's where you're wrong. Tosin Abasi will not leave you disappointed with his guitar and his music.

..Not to mention the entire thing is instrumental, which subtracts the worries of auto-tuning, and generic voices. Do buy.

Recommended If You Like Periphery, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Instrumental work, South African Guitarists, Sumerian Records' bands.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35.
12:56 PM on 01/16/11
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
That first paragraph confused me... are you seriously saying that you believe that this is the greatest piece of art, in any form, in history? Because that is just incredibly stupid.
12:59 PM on 01/16/11
cwhit412
User Info.
lolwut?
12:59 PM on 01/16/11
StepsInADance
http://taeyeonlogic.tumblr.com/
User Info.
There is absolutely no way that this is the greatest album ever created.
01:07 PM on 01/16/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I liked it and thought it was very well done. I never considered it the best thing ever made.
01:21 PM on 01/16/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
While I don't agree that this is a 100%, I do agree with the 10 in musicianship.
01:32 PM on 01/16/11
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
Hint: if you want to be taken seriously, don't start with such a ridiculous statement.
01:41 PM on 01/16/11
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
I really do not see the link between this and 'the faceless'
02:30 PM on 01/16/11
tfot11
User Info.
haha, wow. that was great. "Leaves most experts baffled"...did you really poll a bunch of "experts" and the majority of them agreed that they were baffled? What a terrible sentence and review. Do like the band, though.
03:08 PM on 01/16/11
lostINtheSOUND7
I know a ghost.
User Info.
I wen't into this review thinking it was going to have all 10's and it did, and from reading the review I'd say its quite overrated.
03:16 PM on 01/16/11
michealrogers
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll say it, that review was shitty. This record is phenomenal, progressive, and intricate, this review was not.
03:33 PM on 01/16/11
Mario57
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Stopped reading after the first line.
03:42 PM on 01/16/11
nickymetal
HotAcidDaggers
User Info.
Great band. Great album. Terrible review.
03:57 PM on 01/16/11
whiterussian
awake my old dry bones.
User Info.
Stopped reading after the first line.
this.

Sorry bro, but you did this great album a disservice.
05:24 PM on 01/16/11
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Great band. Great album. Terrible review.
This
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests