AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Comeback Kid - Broadcasting... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.35
Musicianship 8.1
Lyrics 7.77
Production 8.56
Creativity 8.33
Lasting Value 8.15
Reviewer Tilt 8.23
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Comeback Kid - Broadcasting...

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (02/13/07)
COMEBACK KID - Broadcasting...

Losing a band member is always hard for any band, but when you lose your vocalist, it’s a whole new ballgame. While a drummer or guitarist isn’t too difficult to replace, finding the right vocalist to fit the specific sound of the band can be a struggle. This happened to the Canadian hardcore outfit Comeback Kid in early 2006. Original vocalist Scott Wade decided to leave CBK; fortunately for the band, guitarist Andrew Neufeld stepped up to take over the frontman position. Now a quartet (Neufeld, drummer Kyle Profeta , guitarist Jeremy Hiebert , and bassist Kevin Call), Comeback Kid are now prepared to release their third album, Broadcasting…, on February 20th.

Implementing a new vocal sound can always be risky for a band that is as established with fans as Comeback Kid. Thankfully, Neufeld fronts another band (Figure Four) and was backing vocals on the band’s previous two releases, so while you can hear a difference in the vocal delivery, it’s still sounds like a Comeback Kid record. Only this time around, the sound is crisper, louder, and more dynamic than before and lyrically it is as strong as on previous albums. Produced by Bill Stevenson at The Blasting Room, it is one of the finer produced albums I’ve heard in a while.

“Defeated” kicks off the album with a guitar intro that just rips into your membrane. Combine that with raucous gang vocals, this track will get your adrenaline pumping immediately. The title track slowing builds up into a frenzy of hardcore and has a nice breakdown, while “Hailing On Me” features a nice drum solo from Profeta and Neufeld’s vocals shred throughout the track. “The Blackstone” is a very vibrant, in your face type of track, and “Industry Standards” really turns it up on the drums and guitar. “One Left Satisfied” has metal undertones, making it a very forceful song. “Come Around” just piledrives straight through your ears and the guitarwork is exceptional. “Market Demands” is a menacing track, showing a slightly different vibe from the usual. “Intuition” displays some of the best guitar work on the album and ends the album impressively. At times some of the songs sound like Figure Four, but for the majority of the album, Comeback Kid are very consistent on a record sure to melt faces.

Broadcasting… is an album that can make or break the fan base for Comeback Kid. Fortunately, Comeback Kid has written a good album that may prove to be their best record as time moves on. Broadcasting… will definitely bring in new fans as well as maintaining the previous fan base. Comeback Kid has never sounded better musically, and Broadcasting… will be one of the essential hardcore albums to own in 2007.
Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Defeated
2. Broadcasting…
3. Hailing On Me
4. The Blackstone
5. Industry Standards
6. Giver Reprise
7. One Left Satisfied
8. Come Around
9. In Case Of Fire
10. Market Demands
11. Intuition
Produced by: Bill Stevenson

Comeback Kid are:
Kyle Profeta – drums
Andrew Neufeld – vocals
Jeremy Hiebert – guitar
Kevin Call – bass

Release Date: February 20, 2007
Record Label: Victory (US), Smallman (Canada)
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
05:07 PM on 02/13/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Nice review. I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing on myspace yet, but I have heard a few songs and I enjoy it
05:10 PM on 02/13/07
Burning Star IV
Mornings Taste Like Turpentine
User Info.
agreed
05:48 PM on 02/13/07
PunkENG
Bow down to Xenu
User Info.
New CBK vocals >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Old CBK vocals

+

Bill Stevenson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other producer. His track record speaks volumes (A Wilhelm Scream, Comeback Kid, Descendents, Suicide Machines, Good Riddance, Rise Against, and soo many more that i can't even name)
05:57 PM on 02/13/07
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.

+

Bill Stevenson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other producer. His track record speaks volumes (A Wilhelm Scream, Comeback Kid, Descendents, Suicide Machines, Good Riddance, Rise Against, and soo many more that i can't even name)
I agree.
07:33 PM on 02/13/07
xjus10x
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

+

I agree with the production, but I still think Scott's vocals are better
10:50 PM on 02/13/07
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I really liked this...Wake The Dead was my surprize album of the year a couple years ago, but I still am yet to hear all of Turn It Around. Worth the buy?
10:55 PM on 02/13/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I really liked this...Wake The Dead was my surprize album of the year a couple years ago, but I still am yet to hear all of Turn It Around. Worth the buy?

Definitely.
10:43 AM on 02/14/07
xeightoh3xx
Solidkleenex
User Info.

Turn it Around is definitely the best all around of the three.
10:44 AM on 02/14/07
Nosnorb
User Info.
well, they definitely made at least one fan with this new cd. I didn't like any of their other cds, nor am i a fan of this genre, but this is just incredible.
11:25 AM on 02/14/07
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
wake the dead is the best IMO, but the new one isnt bad
11:42 AM on 02/14/07
buttonsforeyes
User Info.
this is a solid album but i preffer scott on vocals
11:44 AM on 02/14/07
[Brendan]
Jesus is my ride home.
User Info.
I love this album.
12:05 PM on 02/14/07
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
Never was hugely impressed by the band until this album. Love it.
12:07 PM on 02/14/07
xrateddream
User Info.
I didnt really dig it at first, but now listening to it more and more and knowing they're doing the cd release show in their hometown just makes me fucking go insane for this. I cannot wait.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums