Password

Album Review

Sky vs Sea - Earthshaper Album Cover

Sky vs Sea - Earthshaper

Reviewed by
Sky vs Sea - Earthshaper
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: August 22, 2010
This review is a user submitted review from TestwoodRapier. You can see all of TestwoodRapier's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:43 PM on 01/17/11
DCART
@DylanCarty
User Info.
im in agreement with a lot of this stuff on here..i've seen these guys twice at this tiny venue like 2 blocks away from me, and their live show is a LOT more passionate. and they like to admit that "their only good song is other worlds" or whatever its called
11:50 AM on 01/18/11
mr527
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
im a huge fan of this EP. its very catchy and the guitars are pretty unique. i think they over-do it alittle with the electronics but there arent many other bad things i can say about it. this band should definitely go somewhere with this
10:31 AM on 01/19/11
AmongthechosenX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
really liking this! great review, spot on. the ambience of the record isnt that bad after all. vox work very well, guitars are near perfect. alot like woe is me and of machines
03:59 PM on 01/20/11
armoireofdoom
User Info.
Musically this ep is great. Vocally it's a huge letdown.
07:38 PM on 01/31/11
emcktrevor
User Info.
Musically this ep is great. Vocally it's a huge letdown.

I agree, the vocals on their demos actually flowed a bit better. I found that the vocals on most of the actual EP never really caught my attention. They're musicianship is great though, as well as their live performance.
10:00 PM on 01/31/11
armoireofdoom
User Info.
I agree, the vocals on their demos actually flowed a bit better. I found that the vocals on most of the actual EP never really caught my attention. They're musicianship is great though, as well as their live performance.
Where can I get their demos? I'd really like to hear them.
04:56 AM on 02/01/11
TestwoodRapier
Spreadsheet Advocate
User Info.
I'd also be interested in hearing those demos.

Were the effects toned down on them?
12:34 PM on 02/01/11
emcktrevor
User Info.
Where can I get their demos? I'd really like to hear them.
I don't think they're available anymore. You might be able to search for them, they were demo versions of "Other Worlds" and "Ascending". There was one point where you could e-mail the band for them, I never took advantage of it though.
10:12 PM on 02/01/11
phillycheese37
I'll be back around
User Info.
I really enjoy this EP, and I would very interested in a follow up full length. The melodies are great, I just with there was a little less auto-tune (or pitch correction- call it what you will) in the vocals, or at least that it was a little less noticeable.
04:42 AM on 02/02/11
TestwoodRapier
Spreadsheet Advocate
User Info.
I really enjoy this EP, and I would very interested in a follow up full length. The melodies are great, I just with there was a little less auto-tune (or pitch correction- call it what you will) in the vocals, or at least that it was a little less noticeable.
They've got the potential to be really good, they just need to tone down the production.

In this day and age it's very easy for people to assume bands can't perform their stuff effectively live because of over doing the auto-tune, or having really smooth production. You can tell that these guys are talented, but if the songs sounded more organic, they'd get far more credibility and attention.
10:41 AM on 03/15/11
teamnate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I cannot believe I found this band. I'm very glad to be on the ground floor of what is sure to be a ridiculous and awesome career for these guys.

Noting the production, maybe they should get into contact with the folks who do I Am Abomination. That production team could tear these guys apart.
02:56 PM on 04/07/11
skyvssea
Sky Vs Sea
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hello All! thank you for the feedback, good and band. We are happy to see that many people enjoy it. We put everything we could into this EP and we are very happy with the way it turned out, especially the production. This EP was recorded in a basement by a good friend of ours and not in a high end studio. We are very proud of the way it turned out and think that the production fits well with other albums in the same scene. I'm really happy you said that it reminded you of 'Teenage Fantasy' because we had finished all of the writing and almost all of the tracking before that CD was released, so I'll count that as a plus. With that said we just released a single entitled "Hyaline." You can check it out at our facebook or purevolume page. We also filmed a video for other worlds, which I will post below. Thanks again!

-Sky Vs Sea

10:50 AM on 04/18/11
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
Hello All! thank you for the feedback, good and band. We are happy to see that many people enjoy it. We put everything we could into this EP and we are very happy with the way it turned out, especially the production. This EP was recorded in a basement by a good friend of ours and not in a high end studio. We are very proud of the way it turned out and think that the production fits well with other albums in the same scene. I'm really happy you said that it reminded you of 'Teenage Fantasy' because we had finished all of the writing and almost all of the tracking before that CD was released, so I'll count that as a plus. With that said we just released a single entitled "Hyaline." You can check it out at our facebook or purevolume page. We also filmed a video for other worlds, which I will post below. Thanks again!

-Sky Vs Sea

Epic. The reviewer is retarded. He's just looking for shit to compare to. The triple guitarwork is sick, and can't wait for the second new song

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos