Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 48
07:43 AM on 01/20/11
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
i'm a HUGE CAKE fan and i largely agree w/ this review. too ho hum and flat, lacks the punch and upbeat happiness of their earlier efforts, and hte production is mediocre considering how bright and punch their last 2 albums sounded. dissapointed after a 6 year wait and i've been a CAKE fan since 1996 (i'm 30 dude).

Fasion Nugget>Prlonging the Magic>Comfort Eagle>Pressure Chief>Showroom of Compassion

can't rank "motorcade of generosity", its a classic and thier first, but the production is so lo-fi it doesn't really sound like any of their latter works.
10:00 AM on 01/20/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
What is residentmediapundit? I'm intrigued by this.
It's my personal freelance blog.
10:26 AM on 01/20/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
When was the last time you were in a frat? Every room is splattered with two posters: the Sublime s/t cover and that John Belushi poster where he's wearing the shirt that says "college". They may not be "frat rock" per se, but I sure don't know anybody who likes them who isn't a piece of shit in a fraternity.

Hold on, so what you're saying is only people in frats likes Sublime? Where's the logic in that? On Facebook, Sublime has 2.5 million fans. Are they all in frats? NO! Maybe what you should have said is almost every frat guy listens to Sublime, not "only frat guys listen to Sublime."
10:28 AM on 01/20/11
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen 701 bands live!
User Info.
Aside from DMB, none of that is played at my frat and DMB is a bad example being one of the bigger bands in the world right now. The whole stereotype of "Frat-rock" needs to die out.
agreed on the frat rock name dying out.
10:40 AM on 01/20/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
It's my personal freelance blog.
Oh, very cool. Adding it to my bookmarks when I get home, definitely want to keep up with your writing. Always gives me new/different ideas.
11:25 AM on 01/20/11
Sikbeat37
You like music too? Woah.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
When was the last time you were in a frat? Every room is splattered with two posters: the Sublime s/t cover and that John Belushi poster where he's wearing the shirt that says "college". They may not be "frat rock" per se, but I sure don't know anybody who likes them who isn't a piece of shit in a fraternity.
I like Sublime. I was never in a fraternity. You're wrong, unless you meant that you never met a shitty guy in a frat that didn't like Sublime- a circumstance that I've also come across, by the way. Spot on with the poster comment though; I would also include any beer related poster and an 95% chance of one with lesbians spooning/hooking up.
03:31 PM on 01/20/11
livetodd
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Showroom of Compassion is a pretty cool new CD. I was wondering if CAKE was ever gonna write a new one...
02:41 PM on 01/21/11
calebxen
Da Ghetto Kang
User Info.

You sure don't know anything about anyone then. Sure Frat boys seem to like Sublime, I am not arguing that fact, but I would never EVER say that ONLY frat boys like them. I for one LOVE sublime, and I am not even in college. Went for a couple years, decided it wasn't for me and quit going, never even wanted to join a frat. So I think you need to quit being an ignorant ass hole and see that not every thing is exactly how you see it.
02:50 PM on 01/21/11
calebxen
Da Ghetto Kang
User Info.
i'm a HUGE CAKE fan and i largely agree w/ this review. too ho hum and flat, lacks the punch and upbeat happiness of their earlier efforts, and hte production is mediocre considering how bright and punch their last 2 albums sounded. dissapointed after a 6 year wait and i've been a CAKE fan since 1996 (i'm 30 dude).

Fasion Nugget>Prlonging the Magic>Comfort Eagle>Pressure Chief>Showroom of Compassion

can't rank "motorcade of generosity", its a classic and thier first, but the production is so lo-fi it doesn't really sound like any of their latter works.
I disagree. Cake is not around to make you feel happy, nor do most of their songs have a "happy" feel to them like you are saying. They do have happier moments, like Stickshifts and Safetybelts, but what do you say to songs off the same album like Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps, or Daria, or It's Coming Down, or The Distance, really just the whole cd besides Stickshifts and Safetybelts, and Nugget (which has a happy beat with super dark lyrics). I think you are just using the entirely wrong argument because I just nullified using only the Fashion Nugget cd, which was your number 1 from cake.

I'd say for this cd that Cake took a different route to their same music. They've always seemed to have dark lyrics, nothing really moving or powerful make you go do something lyrics, while the music itself seemed to be either "happy" as you put it, or "ho hum" as people keep saying in this thread. I for one like this album, not my favorite from Cake, but few things can measure up to their earlier albums. The only reason you guys are so hard on them is because it is Cake putting this cd out, had it been someone that no one gives a shit about, like Nikelback or something, everone would say this is their best album to date and it would have gotten at least an 85 rating.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just calls em like I sees em.
03:04 PM on 01/21/11
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Use a term loosely and it opens up a whole can of worms. Sheesh. Note to self: Never use the term frat-rock again.
03:08 PM on 01/21/11
AdamJL
User Info.
Ive heard some great things about this album and definitely need to listen to it. There's just been so much amazing music put out lately that I haven't gotten around to it.
08:12 AM on 01/22/11
GlassyLight
King of Wrangling
User Info.
Sorry to be a shit-stirrer on the subject, Gregory, but I have to call that out. I mean, let's face it - we now use "Frat-Rock" as a derogatory term because nobody likes the stereotypical dickbag that gets brought up time and time again in popular culture. However, I can't stand idly by when you use the supposed audience of a band as a negative towards the band - it's the same as saying that country is bad because racist rednecks listen to it, or rap is bad because gang members like it. I usually like your reviews, dude, but that one drove me up a wall.
09:12 AM on 01/22/11
maxvsmaradona
thesecondside.bandcamp.co m
User Info.
horrible review.
01:49 PM on 01/24/11
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
I disagree. Cake is not around to make you feel happy, nor do most of their songs have a "happy" feel to them like you are saying. They do have happier moments, like Stickshifts and Safetybelts, but what do you say to songs off the same album like Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps, or Daria, or It's Coming Down, or The Distance, really just the whole cd besides Stickshifts and Safetybelts, and Nugget (which has a happy beat with super dark lyrics). I think you are just using the entirely wrong argument because I just nullified using only the Fashion Nugget cd, which was your number 1 from cake.

I'd say for this cd that Cake took a different route to their same music. They've always seemed to have dark lyrics, nothing really moving or powerful make you go do something lyrics, while the music itself seemed to be either "happy" as you put it, or "ho hum" as people keep saying in this thread. I for one like this album, not my favorite from Cake, but few things can measure up to their earlier albums. The only reason you guys are so hard on them is because it is Cake putting this cd out, had it been someone that no one gives a shit about, like Nikelback or something, everone would say this is their best album to date and it would have gotten at least an 85 rating.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just calls em like I sees em.

i probably just didn't pick the best words to describe it. I didn't mean the lyrical content of older Cake material was "happy" and "upbeat", i meant musically and vocally it just sounded more upbeat and inspired. This album sounds flat to me. the production is flat. it lacks the ballsy bass and punch of Comfort Eagle or their last album. Not just the production, but the music sounds flat. Like John is tired and over it. or had a cold. It just doesn't grab me the way their other albums did. it's simply just not as good. that said its growing on me but no Cake album before needed to grow on me. Their last album had me at "wheels" and "no phone". this one doesn't even come close to having me until track 5.

it's not a terrible album, but as a 15-year CAKE fan (again, i'm 30 dude), i had become used to a sick CAKE album dropping ever 3 years. now I had to wait 6 years, twice as long, for an album that's half as good as what they normally put out. that's all. still a fantastic band, still love their music and i'm sure over time i'll dig this one more than i do now.
if Nikelback got an 85 on this site i'd probably never return.
02:46 PM on 01/25/11
calebxen
Da Ghetto Kang
User Info.
Sorry to be a shit-stirrer on the subject, Gregory, but I have to call that out. I mean, let's face it - we now use "Frat-Rock" as a derogatory term because nobody likes the stereotypical dickbag that gets brought up time and time again in popular culture. However, I can't stand idly by when you use the supposed audience of a band as a negative towards the band - it's the same as saying that country is bad because racist rednecks listen to it, or rap is bad because gang members like it. I usually like your reviews, dude, but that one drove me up a wall.
I agree completely with you. It is ludicrous to say that all fans of a certain band are the same. Absolute insanity.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos