AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
State Champs - Apparently, I'm Nothing EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8.94
Lyrics 8.38
Production 8.31
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 7.63
Reviewer Tilt 8.44
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

State Champs - Apparently, I'm Nothing EP

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (01/21/11)
State Champs - Apparently, I'm Nothing EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 1, 2011

The other day I was at the Paper + Plastick warehouse and one of the employees put Carpenter's latest release, Sea to Sky, on the turntable. He said that he never listened to the whole record because he couldn't get past how good the opening song was. I reviewed that record a few months back and thought it was phenomenal, so I told him that he needed to get on that and listen to the rest of it.

Later that day, I realized I was sort of doing the same thing with State Champs' Apparently, I'm Nothing EP. The band's debut release opens with "How It Used To Be," one of the first instant-classic pop punk songs of the new year. Almost every quality band writes one or more of these songs on each new release, and with this song leading things off, the listener knows that Apparently, I'm Nothing is going to be a solid venture.

The opener starts off highlighting Derek Discanio's vocals, which suit this music very well. Later on, the guitar and drum work are brought to the forefront, showing that this band has the patience to write some solid instrumentals. The bridge features gang vocals crying out, "It's not how it used to be / I agree / We're growing up but I'll stay young / Even if it kills me." The bridge will make for an excellent sing-along when you see State Champs opening for your favorite bands later this year.

As we get deeper into the release, a few cuts really stand out, like "The Record" and "Shades of Grey," which stand back-to-back in the middle of the EP. The former starts out with your essential guitar riff that will make college kids jump on their best friend's back at shows, while the latter sees Discanio belting out, "So they say / There are shades of grey in a lifetime / If that's so, I'll let you know / That I'm looking on the bright side." It's one-liners like those that give this EP that little extra "oomph" and make these songs fun to sing along to.

"Stick Around" is the acoustic closer to the EP, a cliché that has been done many times. The song isn't really all that special and doesn't stand out compared to the more choice cuts on the release, but the band is young and learning. For its first release, State Champs admirably shows how DIY bands should be approaching things. They concentrated on the music first; not the Twitter handle, not the Facebook fans, and not the Myspace page (lol I mean my_____). The result was an EP that can be played on repeat over and over again without getting old.

In my opinion, this is a fairly easy call. This band has the potential that I have seen in other bands, like Hands on the Stereo or Same As Sunday, that are very similar to State Champs. The difference is in the intangibles, and I can't see this band staying as unknown as it is for very long.

Recommended If You LikeI Call Fives, pop punk, there's a little bit of The Wonder Years in here.
Follow Me On TwitterI buy tall cans of Arizona products by the dozen.
Bare Essentials1. How It Used To Be
2. Hot and Bothered
3. I Would Try
4. If It Helps You Focus
5. The Record
6. Shades of Grey
7. Rooftops
8. Small Talk
9. Stick Around
Run Time: 27 minutes
Star Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Stars
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 26
02:15 AM on 01/21/11
andregino
User Info.
I agree, very solid pop punk.
07:28 AM on 01/21/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
a 27 minute EP? wow. i have to get this soon.
07:30 AM on 01/21/11
seanr91
User Info.
this ep has been playing non-stop since i got it. solid pop punk.
08:54 AM on 01/21/11
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
I can't stop listening to this EP either haha. It's so good. Stoked for a full length from these Dudes.
09:07 AM on 01/21/11
FistsOfFury
User Info.
You said "lol" in a review.
09:55 AM on 01/21/11
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Love this EP. I'm excited to see them tonight.
11:44 AM on 01/21/11
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
a 27 minute EP? wow. i have to get this soon.
only the first 4 songs are new, the last 5 were on a demo/ep they released last year but they've been re-recorded and put on here
12:02 PM on 01/21/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
only the first 4 songs are new, the last 5 were on a demo/ep they released last year but they've been re-recorded and put on here
oh, okay. is this all of their stuff so far? like, do they have any other releases besides those two?
12:07 PM on 01/21/11
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
oh, okay. is this all of their stuff so far? like, do they have any other releases besides those two?
yeah as far as i know this is all their stuff
12:08 PM on 01/21/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
yeah as far as i know this is all their stuff
thank you.
12:24 PM on 01/21/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
You said "lol" in a review.
Yeah I suck/am unprofessional.
01:40 PM on 01/21/11
ariddle
CivilPursuit
User Info.
Go out and support these guys and pick up this EP. Its actually cheaper to by a physical copy from their merch site than it is on iTunes.

Merch Site: $6.
iTunes: $8.91

I mean plus shipping it was like $7.99, but still cheaper nonetheless.
09:33 AM on 01/22/11
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Go out and support these guys and pick up this EP. Its actually cheaper to by a physical copy from their merch site than it is on iTunes.

Merch Site: $6.
iTunes: $8.91

I mean plus shipping it was like $7.99, but still cheaper nonetheless.

^ Yeah This ~!
10:39 PM on 01/23/11
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Thanks to everyone who checked this out and picked up the record!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums