Password

Album Review

Delaney - '06 Demos Album Cover

Delaney - '06 Demos

Reviewed by
Delaney - '06 Demo
Released November 18th, 2006
Unsigned

Included in the best press package I’ve yet to receive is a demo from a fun little band by the name of Delaney. It’s hard for me to consider myself a fan of the supposed “West Coast Rock”, but at some point through the four songs featured the band seemingly won my ears over. No elaborate introduction needed here for Delaney doesn’t dwell on the residual feelings following a breakup or deep looks at the world around us. They do keep it practical and an easy listen through and through, however, which is all some people really need in the end.

The demo itself screams 50’s rock ‘n roll. Though Delaney are spotted as to having similarities to Weezer, Phantom Planet, and Fountains of Wayne, their demo seems to dig deeper in a particular era than any of the previously mentioned forebearers. Even their lyrics take a trip back on some occasions: “You tried to play me just like Donkey Kong/You fell so right but now I know it’s wrong”. Besides the album’s header “The Stuff” and the Pale Pacific comparisons that will fall with it, the rhythm section’s jazzy strides, Big-Band style drum-play, and careful yet slick guitar strums will definitely sound relatively new, being sidelined to more sugarcoated power pop and all. You’ll catch the band’s drift right around the song “Stuck on Me”. Lee Barbara’s boyish vocals and lighthearted keyboard ups-and-downs make it a highlight of the demo.

Though this only being first recordings in anticipation for the band’s upcoming release, they sound polished enough to go straight to their debut full-length. “Arcade Song” in its video-game references through relationship metaphors and “Books and Broken Windows” retro rhythm-perspective, coupled with the above mentioned songs, make for a good representation of this already well-established indie-rock quartet.

Hear More...Delaney @ Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from Scott Irvine. You can see all of Scott Irvine's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:30 AM on 02/18/07
konstantine94
The City That Reads
User Info.
Thanks for the review Scott, I appreciate it :) Hopefully people will check them out. Right now, I'm working on their album launch. I'll get an advance copy to you when it's ready.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos