AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Canada News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Canadian Music Round-Up (01/22/11)

Posted by - 05:04 PM on 01/22/11
This week's Smallman Records Retrospective comes from Small Brown Bike, one of the American bands who chose the label to release their records in Canada. The rest of the regular Canadian Music Round-Up can also be found in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
05:04 PM on 01/22/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Canadian Music Round-UpSmallman Retrospective:

I’ve been working on a retrospective for Smallman Records since as you may already know, the label closed its doors last year. If you want the long story about why I'm doing this, head here. But all you need to know is that I’ll be sharing little chunks from my project in this space. Today's excerpt comes from the label's American bands. Smallman always had an interest with expanding into the States and near the end they even got a deal with ADA. which allowed them to release Propagandhi's record outside of Canada. They had plans to put out Grave Maker's latest CD in the States and seriously start working with Misery Signals, but none of that came into fruition before the doors closed. Anyway, Ben Reed from Small Brown Bike and Ty Vaughn from Broadway Calls explain how they heard about a label that was located in the freezing, isolated prairies. Vaughn answered the questions in an interview he did for AbsolutePunk in April. but Reed's explanation is below:

“I think we just randomly got an email from Rob or Jason,” says Small Brown Bike bassist Ben Reed. “They were seeing if we wanted to go on a tour with Choke, who apparently heard our album, liked our music and wanted us to go on tour with them.”

Small Brown Bike agreed to do the tour, Rob Krause went along for the ride and over those three weeks everyone got to be really good friends, which led to the signing. As their final No Idea record in 2003, the band put out an EP and released it in Canada through Smallman. And in 2004 the band put out The River Bed in Canada through the label as well. Reed remembers the Smallman guys going down to Michigan to celebrate.

“It’s pretty awesome to have everyone from your label from miles away make the trip just to be at your CD release show,” he says.

Ultimately, working with Smallman allowed the band to see more of Canada than they thought they’d ever see and it helped make all those tour dates possible. Anyone living in Winnipeg can agree that most American bands don’t make touring up north a priority.

“We might have played Toronto or Montreal before, but when we were on Smallman we’d play a show in Victoria and a bunch of small towns across the country,” says Reed. “That’s part of what I wanted to do with the band. I wanted to see new places and experience different things.”

[button=http://smallmanrecords.com/mp3/SBB_DeconstructRebuild.mp3]Small Brown Bike - "Deconstruct/Rebuild"[/button]

Check Out The Previous Excerpts Too:

Layaway Plan
Guy Smiley
Choke/Passenger Action
Moneen
Sixty Stories
The Reason

-----------------------------------------------------
In case you missed them during the week, here are the posts made about Canadian content:

Arcade Fire to Play a Festival in Serbia / More Material On The Way?

Broken Social Scene Post Entire Live Set Online from Terminal 5 in New York

Carpenter Vinyl Now Available from Paper + Plastick

City and Colour Begins Third Record and Launches Site With Studio Updates

Comeback Kid Music Video

Crystal Castles' Alice Glass Appears To Have Injured Ankle

Death From Above 1979 Reunite For Coachella

Figure Four Reunite For a Show and Release Some Vinyl

The Flatliners' Chris Cresswell to Appear on Anchorless Records' First Four Way Split / Acoustic Sessions

Malajube Release Date

Protest the Hero Album Art / Tour Dates

Ruby Coast Release Record For Free and Announce Tour Opening For Born Ruffians

The Rural Alberta Advantage Tour Dates / Music Video

Tokyo Police Club Do a Mash Up With Two Door Cinema Club

------------------------------------------------------
Additional News:

Sled Island in Calgary secured the money it needed to continue on for 2011.

The S.C.E.N.E. Music Festival is accepting artist submissions until April 10th.

Crash Parallel will release Sunset in Reverse on February 8th and their new single can be heard here.

The Creepshow's Sell Your Soul is being pressed on vinyl.

Nominees for the East Coast Music Awards have been announced.

Henry Rollins says we don't get enough credit for our punk scene.

The Cameron House in Toronto is starting a record label.

Women are on a new 7".

Teen Daze is going to launch a label called Cultus Vibes.

----------------------------------------------------
Additional Music and Videos:

Foxwarren released their first album for pay-what-you-want on bandcamp.

Dancing With Paris started doing something at shows that they call The Atom Bomb.

Crush Luther put a recording of their CD release show on iTunes.

Hey Rosetta!'s music video for "Yer Spring" can be seen here.

-----------------------------------------------------
Additional Tour Dates:

The Reason are touring Ontario this February:

w/ Birthday Boys:
2/10 - Hamilton, ON @ Casbah
2/11 - Peterborough, ON @ Red Dog
2/12 - London, ON @ Call the Office
w/ Gentlemen Husbands
2/17 - Ottawa, ON @ Live Lounge
2/18 - Brockville, ON @ tba
2/19 - Kingston, ON @ The Mansion
2/24 - Windsor, ON @ The Blind Dog
2/25 - St. Catharines, ON @ L3
2/26 - Cambridge, ON @ 515 Concert Club

--------------------------------------------------
If you’d like to submit news for this round-up, email me at deborah.remus@absolutepunk.net or send me a PM with “Canadian Round-Up” in the subject line.
05:43 PM on 01/22/11
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Haha Henry Rollins.
09:35 PM on 01/22/11
rammie
User Info.
fucksakes The Reason need to come to Northern ON again, it's been ages! All they do is Southern

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos