AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Ataris, The - Welcome the Night Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 5.75
Lyrics 7
Production 3
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 2
Reviewer Tilt 1
Final Verdict: 43%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.91
Musicianship 7.58
Lyrics 7.62
Production 6.34
Creativity 7.24
Lasting Value 6.89
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Average: 70%
Inside AP.net

Ataris, The - Welcome the Night

Reviewed by: Russ Hockenbury (02/18/07)
The AtarisWelcome The Night
Label: Sanctuary
Release Date: February 20, 2007

There are certain people in this scene that are larger than life. Chris Conley is one. Mark Hoppus is another. Kris Roe, the man who penned some of the best pop-punk tunes of the last several years, is among that group as well. With that being said, here’s comes the pain, Kris.

Welcome The Night opens with the electro-fuzz cruise that is “Not Capable of Love" and you know that The Ataris of Blue Skies, Broken Hearts… is dead and Kris Roe killed them. Gone is the angst and energy of that album and even of So Long, Astoria, replaced by a boring, indulgent sound that strikes no emotional chord with the listener unless you’re counting lackluster as a feeling these days (and with a rash of disappointing releases thus far in 2007, you might).

Roe has taken a giant leap with his music and from every interview I’ve read, it has a great deal to do with the turmoil he has had to deal with in his personal relationships over the past few years. The bad news for Roe is that he’s severely out of his element here and it shows. The track “Secret Handshakes” is a perfect example. Instead of downplaying the dynamics of the song and focusing on a more simplified orchestral arrangement, the band chooses to play with euphoric crescendos and electronic gadgetry that completely warps the mood of the track into a gaudy, big budget thriller rather than a stripped down soul-bearer.

Roe’s vocal direction echoes that of Brandon Reilly (Nightmare of You) and one might even suggest that comparison to be accurate for the band’s new sound in general, were it not for the fact that the production and music behind Roe completely rob Welcome The Night of the sex appeal that Reilly’s band effortlessly provides. Instead, The Ataris end up somewhere between NOY and Deep Elm underachievers’ Slowride. It will be brought up that this record would be acceptable to most if it were under any other band name than The Ataris and while that argument may hold some validity, Welcome The Night should not be considered a good record no matter what band name comes attached to it.

Are my speakers blown or is it supposed to sound like that?: “Not Capable of Love”, "Connections Are More Dangerous Than Lies"

Of buzzing guitars and dragging vocals: Nightmare of You, Slowride, My Bloody Valentine

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 113.
05:04 PM on 02/18/07
truthbetoldxx
http://www.milkshakes.bandcamp.c om
User Info.
"and with rash of disappointing releases thus far in 2007, you might"

am I hearing different music than you

fall out boy, anberlin, relient k, bayside

those are all great albums
06:29 PM on 02/18/07
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
I dig the album art, but I think this review is pretty well on point.
07:18 PM on 02/18/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
And here is another reason why I consider you a mentor. I consider this review a bulls eye but it did motivate me to rehash So Long Astoria. For that reason, I'm thankful.
07:47 PM on 02/18/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yeah, the album art reminds me of that painting "night hawk". But the way I imagined the music that goes with that image is way different than what Welcome The Night sounds like. spot on review
07:58 PM on 02/18/07
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
Maybe the ataris will change back to their old sound if enough people hate this album. I do not think it is that bad, but it is definitely different. I also think the musicianship deserves higher than a 5.75.
08:02 PM on 02/18/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Great review and I agree with the score.
09:13 PM on 02/18/07
CircaSin
The All-New 2014 Corolla
User Info.
"and with rash of disappointing releases thus far in 2007, you might"

am I hearing different music than you

fall out boy, anberlin, relient k, bayside

those are all great albums

Are you serious? Great albums? So because a band can make a cd full of pop jingles that automatically means everyone should don it as a great album?

As for The Ataris, they have been less of a band since the millenium. Although I must admit this cd surprised me, yet not in a good way.

Bloc Party was not a dissapointing release, how about you start there.
09:18 PM on 02/18/07
kbauer
BOAN.
User Info.
I heard a couple songs off of this and seeing how much theyre trying to change their image is joke, maybe it dosent help that I never really was a fan of their, but Im sure this review is accurate.

With the line of dissapointing releases, Ive heard FOB once, that was enough, heard Anberlin yesterday and thought the hype was way over blown and it was decent but just another Anberlin to someone isnt a big Anberlin fan, the other two I havent heard, but Bloc Party, not as good as Silent Alarm but certainly not dissapointing.
09:37 PM on 02/18/07
lushintransit
Dragons!
User Info.
I still don't know how I feel about this album.

One hand thinks it's okay
The other hand is asking where Bite My Tongue v.2 is
09:50 PM on 02/18/07
TheHeretic
User Info.
Are you serious? Great albums? So because a band can make a cd full of pop jingles that automatically means everyone should don it as a great album?

I cared less about the other three, but the new Anberlin is amazing.
01:34 AM on 02/19/07
falloutboy.
yo
User Info.
short sweet and to the point.
03:20 AM on 02/19/07
BTNGHRTSBB
BTNGHRTSBB
User Info.
This albums sucks soooo bad, I thought I downloaded a wrong version or something, but apparently, it's true that this band is dead.
I'm going to see them in april, and I hope they'll only play their old songs!
04:42 AM on 02/19/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Nice review Russ.
04:57 AM on 02/19/07
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
nice review? it sucks as hell
i'm one big fan of the ataris and allright, it sounds not that good as the other albums but you really have to listen more to it with the intention of "they changed, give them a chance" and not immediatly "they changed, they suck". far from the last last call and the cheyenne line are goddamn beautiful tracks, just like cardiff-by the sea and whatever lies will help you rest.
welcome the night is a album that only a true ataris fan can love so let this review than be write by a real fan
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests