AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
11:54 PM on 01/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I'm so happy to see Shad finally reviewed here. Hopefully now he'll have more than 5 fans on his profile. Good review!
11:57 PM on 01/27/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
It's actually ranked as such: TSOL is Never Better than Never Better; Never Better is Never Better than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and so on and so forth. Sadly, with this system, there's no grammatical way to say two albums are pretty much the same.
TSOL >>> NB, def.
12:07 AM on 01/28/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
Oof. I hate to be that guy, but I just can't agree with this. I'm no Doomtree slut like some people here, but Never Better just kills me, every time. Both fabulous records, though.
They are both really good records, true. I'd like to hear why you think that POS' release outdoes Shad's, but I'll PM you.
08:03 PM on 01/28/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
First I'll admit that I haven't listened to this record yet. However, everything I've heard from Shad in the past has shown me he's good, but not THAT good. I'm always skeptical of hip hop reviews on this site. 95% of them overrate the subject.
What is it about his rhymes would you say isn't "that good"?
10:11 AM on 01/29/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I did and my opinion is still pretty much the same. It was a solid album but I can respect Shad as an artist without necessarily liking his music. It seems he really appeals to people's music tastes on this site that listen to mostly scene music and a little bit of hip hop on the side.

And that's okay because this isn't a hip hop website but it does tend to lead to artists being overrated (Shad and P.O.S come to mind, even Kanye's latest album to a certain extent).
Guess I'm not sure why you feel it's overrated overall (AP isn't the end all of criticisms, many have acknowledged his talent, up there with K'naan). Good artists are in the "eyes of the beholder" so to speak, but I do agree that some people tend to ride a tide because it's "underground and hip". I don't think he's a part of that, though, otherwise he'd probably start to be more recognized.

And honestly, I actually found him through my love for bands on Smallman Records, like Propagandhi ( who isn't exactly a favorite on AP, not by a long shot.)
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums