08:15 AM on 01/28/11
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.

08:57 AM on 01/28/11
what_ever
every supahero need his theme music
User Info.
glad to finally see a review for this. awesome album.
09:10 AM on 01/28/11
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
09:48 AM on 01/28/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Love me some Shad. Definitely my favorite hip-hop artist. This was one of my top albums of last year.
09:49 AM on 01/28/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
From what I've heard of TSOL NB and MBDTF, I put Shad on top. His lyrical content hits me hard. His ability to talk about spiritual topics without sounding corny or cheesy is refreshing.
Absolutely agreed.
11:30 AM on 01/28/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Why is the review laden with comparisons to very dissimilar artists?
I wouldn't exactly say that it's "laden" with those comparisons. I mention Doomtree in the opening and I mention Sims in the closing. The upcoming Sims release and this Shad release aren't exactly polar opposites. You can nitpick all you want...but I'm not. If you want to read or comment on the other 600 words of the review where I discuss TSOL in depth, then I'm listening.
11:56 AM on 01/28/11
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
I don't get why Doomtree was brought up.

And I haven't listened to this record.
05:40 PM on 01/28/11
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
First I'll admit that I haven't listened to this record yet. However, everything I've heard from Shad in the past has shown me he's good, but not THAT good. I'm always skeptical of hip hop reviews on this site. 95% of them overrate the subject.
05:48 PM on 01/28/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
First I'll admit that I haven't listened to this record yet. However, everything I've heard from Shad in the past has shown me he's good, but not THAT good. I'm always skeptical of hip hop reviews on this site. 95% of them overrate the subject.
This album really is that good
08:03 PM on 01/28/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
What is it about his rhymes would you say isn't "that good"?
09:12 PM on 01/28/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Maybe you should just listen to the album though.
11:05 PM on 01/28/11
M.Lee
man I'm pretty
User Info.
Maybe you should just listen to the album though.
I did and my opinion is still pretty much the same. It was a solid album but I can respect Shad as an artist without necessarily liking his music. It seems he really appeals to people's music tastes on this site that listen to mostly scene music and a little bit of hip hop on the side.

And that's okay because this isn't a hip hop website but it does tend to lead to artists being overrated (Shad and P.O.S come to mind, even Kanye's latest album to a certain extent).
05:32 AM on 01/29/11
porttheman
SERENITY NOW!
User Info.
Such a solid record.
07:20 AM on 01/29/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I did and my opinion is still pretty much the same. It was a solid album but I can respect Shad as an artist without necessarily liking his music. It seems he really appeals to people's music tastes on this site that listen to mostly scene music and a little bit of hip hop on the side.

And that's okay because this isn't a hip hop website but it does tend to lead to artists being overrated (Shad and P.O.S come to mind, even Kanye's latest album to a certain extent).
I mean I'm only going to review hip-hop that impresses me...writing a negative or "mehh" review for a hip hop album on here would be pointless.
10:11 AM on 01/29/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.

Guess I'm not sure why you feel it's overrated overall (AP isn't the end all of criticisms, many have acknowledged his talent, up there with K'naan). Good artists are in the "eyes of the beholder" so to speak, but I do agree that some people tend to ride a tide because it's "underground and hip". I don't think he's a part of that, though, otherwise he'd probably start to be more recognized.

And honestly, I actually found him through my love for bands on Smallman Records, like Propagandhi ( who isn't exactly a favorite on AP, not by a long shot.)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos