AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

New Atlantic News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

New Atlantic Shirt Design Contest

Posted by - 02:12 PM on 02/21/07
New Atlantic is currently running a "create-a-shirt" design contest. You graphic designers have the opportunity to create a New Atlantic shirt (or hoodie) design. This design will be used indefinitely, which includes the Cartel tour and Mae tour in March/April. The only catch is that the deadline is 11PM EST tomorrow night (2/22)! They will only be choosing one winner. The winner receives (1) autographed poster, (1) autographed copy of their debut album The Streets, The Sounds, and The Love, and (1) t-shirt of their design. All submissions must be emailed to: contest@newatlanticrock.com.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
02:15 PM on 02/21/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
no cash prize? boo!
02:21 PM on 02/21/07
kallok
The Man
User Info.
fuck yeahhhhhhhhhh!
02:43 PM on 02/21/07
snowtires
henry slinkman
User Info.
i love stuff like this. t-shirt designs cost anywhere from about $150 to $500, depending on what you want done and who you want doing it and, when you do that, you have to seek out the artist and usually tell them exactly what you want them to do. so, depending upon the response this band gets to the contest, they stand to get thousands of dollars worth of free merch designs, from which they can pick and choose the best one. the 'winner' of the contest gets, what, a poster, cd and t-shirt that add up to a grand total of about $6 for production costs? 'oh, but they're all autographed!' that brings the value of them up by about twenty five cents.

my last band's merch and cd designs were all done by the heads of state and, in the three years that they worked with us (yes, we toured, yes, we played with big name bands, yes, we played to a lot of people), to my knowledge ONE person asked who did the art (i remember because one of the guitar players came to get me, because he forgot the name of the guys who did the art), everyone else just said 'cool design(s).' giving a band a free t-shirt design isn't going to get your name out there as an artist. don't give away your artwork for free, kids.
03:10 PM on 02/21/07
sensesfail18782
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
i love stuff like this. t-shirt designs cost anywhere from about $150 to $500, depending on what you want done and who you want doing it and, when you do that, you have to seek out the artist and usually tell them exactly what you want them to do. so, depending upon the response this band gets to the contest, they stand to get thousands of dollars worth of free merch designs, from which they can pick and choose the best one. the 'winner' of the contest gets, what, a poster, cd and t-shirt that add up to a grand total of about $6 for production costs? 'oh, but they're all autographed!' that brings the value of them up by about twenty five cents.

my last band's merch and cd designs were all done by the heads of state and, in the three years that they worked with us (yes, we toured, yes, we played with big name bands, yes, we played to a lot of people), to my knowledge ONE person asked who did the art (i remember because one of the guitar players came to get me, because he forgot the name of the guys who did the art), everyone else just said 'cool design(s).' giving a band a free t-shirt design isn't going to get your name out there as an artist. don't give away your artwork for free, kids.

I've always wondered about this as well. I paid $60 for a design for a t-shirt I'm selling for my website.

I guess if you're in a band you can do stuff like this and adoring fans will do whatever you ask. I dunno.
03:23 PM on 02/21/07
meencanta
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

i think this contest is for kids, not for big time designers. its good for kids that want to do it for fun, or designers that want to start a portfolio. if you want money for designs just email the band and ask if they need designs.
03:26 PM on 02/21/07
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
NA's new album is aces.
04:10 PM on 02/21/07
updownleftright
grant.
User Info.
submitted.

i love cool contests.
04:13 PM on 02/21/07
Imtheotherguy
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great way to get free design work. Im actually having a contest right now where bands submit their music to me and then I choose which album I like the most, then I get it for free. Its gonna be sweet.
04:52 PM on 02/21/07
arknies
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
great way to get free design work. Im actually having a contest right now where bands submit their music to me and then I choose which album I like the most, then I get it for free. Its gonna be sweet.

HAHA thats awesome!

As a graphic designer I really hate to see this stuff go on.
It's always disgusting as an INDIE ARTIST to watch people do stuff for free.
I could understand if was an unsigned band with no money. But I mean come on the teeshirt is going to be sold on two big tours why not just pay someone to actually do it right?

So the contest gains intrest and fan excitement atleast make the prize of some serious value!
The have the prizes printed and pressed it would cost under $10...
06:34 PM on 02/21/07
snowtires
henry slinkman
User Info.

awesome
06:48 PM on 02/21/07
feigningapology
she spreads her legs like a disease
User Info.
If someone did a design for this and actually won they should get some kind of residual royalties off how many shirts of their design actually sell. Pure profit for the band. As much as I like New Atlantic this just seems kind of lowballed.
07:34 PM on 02/21/07
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
If someone did a design for this and actually won they should get some kind of residual royalties off how many shirts of their design actually sell. Pure profit for the band. As much as I like New Atlantic this just seems kind of lowballed.

They clearly state what the prizes are... if you don't think that the prizes are adequate enough to compensate you for your time/creativity, THEN DON'T SUBMIT A DESIGN! It's that easy.
08:21 PM on 02/21/07
effluvium
Mrs. Bond (lol@snowtires)
User Info.

HAHA thats awesome!

As a graphic designer I really hate to see this stuff go on.
It's always disgusting as an INDIE ARTIST to watch people do stuff for free.
I could understand if was an unsigned band with no money. But I mean come on the teeshirt is going to be sold on two big tours why not just pay someone to actually do it right?

So the contest gains intrest and fan excitement atleast make the prize of some serious value!
The have the prizes printed and pressed it would cost under $10...

Thank you! We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view. Dullard, do yourself and everyone else a favor: disconnect your computer from the Internet.

But now, for reals guys. Why even respond to this post if youre going to be so negative about it?

These contests arent for free designs, theyre to give fans chances to be a part of the bands. Im sure if they wanted a professional design, they would buy one.

On a separate note, you may be a "designer" but you will never be an artist. Your incentive for creating your "art" is both sad and disturbing. If the only reason you do designs is for money, I pity you. Now, why don’t you climb onto that Special Needs tricycle of yours with the fourth wheel attached for extra-ensured retard stability and pedal your ignorant ass down to the sports field and do some “outdoors” stuff for a change.

RE: Dont let these asses get to you anyways. Contests are fun. Ill probably send in some submissions too.
08:25 PM on 02/21/07
sweetmik
WNYX
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm personally doing this to build up my portfolio. Everyone has to start somewhere. Maybe if they really love the work, they might come back for more designs and offer financial compensation. Or they could give people a link on their site/myspace.

just a thought.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version