AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Industries of the Blind - Chapter 1: Had we... Album Cover

Industries of the Blind - Chapter 1: Had we...

Reviewed by
Industries of the Blind - Chapter 1: Had we known better
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: February 25, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Who?

Frankly, I had a slightly difficult time finding out who they were myself. This enigmatic group of musicians has no account of themselves or their history available anywhere on the internet for reasons which I can only speculate, leaving us only with their brain child dropped on my doorstep like an abandoned infant needing to be properly cared for. After asking for basic information, I found out that the band started in 2003 in Greensboro, North Carolina, and founding members started a migration to Brooklyn, New York. In their own words, "after much exploration and many lineup changes, they're finally ready to put something out to the world".

How is it?

Absolutely beautiful, moving, and thought-provoking. Industries of the Blind haven't exactly set out to reinvent the post-rock wheel with this release, but their conception and execution shine with brilliance and life. Chapter 1 has evoked some of the most profoundly deep emotion I have ever experienced in a composition, most strongly defined by the strings sections. These people have pulled their heartstrings from their chests and strung their violins with them, undeniably touching the soul with each stroke.

The EP opens with "I just wanted to make you something beautiful". Industries of the Blind have greatly succeeded in doing so with this track, revealing every layer of a fragile heart's unexpressed emotions inside each new harmony born from the intervals. Opening with a forlorn piano melody following tones suggestive of The American Dollar's ambient albums, the strings then enter soon after, accompanied by light and consistent percussion amidst a somber and pensive mood. The violin takes center stage with its gentle, begging croon, with harmonizing guitar featured behind. The strings continue to intensify their pleading sighs, powerfully tugging at the soul as the track builds. The percussion grows stronger as the track climaxes, yet somehow the strings remain the center of focus.

"Waiting and waltzing in airport terminals", aptly titled, sets and maintains a mood of reflection and anticipation throughout. As in the previous track, the familiar melancholy strings take center stage in conveying these emotions. Unlike the previous track, the rise is much more gradual, remaining unbroken throughout. The track steadily builds up to a lull at around the ninth minute, which brings me to my only real complaint about the EP. "Waiting and waltzing..." and "I just wanted..." both have very similar song structure, down to even the track times as well as the ninth minute interludes. I would have liked to see some more diversity between the two. Additionally, the first two tracks start to drag on because of their builds and crests being so gradual. However, to their credit, Industries of the Blind provide enough melodic differences within the basic song structure they've employed to keep both tracks gripping and interesting. After the lull passes, the most impressive moment of the EP unfolds, with hammering percussion driving the emotive strings it carries into the listener's heart like nails.

The final track, "The lights weren't that bright, but our eyes were so tired", finishes nearly as quickly as it starts by comparison, clocking in at a mere five minutes. It begins with ambient guitars, and then a very faint beat is used to raise the tempo of the track. Soon, the guitar and strings enter the framework laid by the fast percussion, growing louder and climbing triumphantly as the track progresses. It is in this moment alone where the music stands tall and optimistic; as a fitting fulfillment to the emotions which the prior tracks put forward.

Industries of the Blind will undoubtedly be one of the best post-rock bands to look out for in the future. We haven’t even learned who they are, let alone what they're planning, but I can say with certainty that their talent will take them far if they get the attention so deserved by such a masterful debut.

Recommended If You LikeExplosions in the Sky with violins instead of guitars, Moving Mountains, Eaststrikewest without vocals, The American Dollar’s somber little brother.
External LinksMyspace, Facebook, get it for free here

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
10:30 PM on 02/28/11
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Good review mate. I'll be checking this out ASAP.
01:14 PM on 03/03/11
yetconfused
is no tragic bitch.
User Info.
It sounds like a whirlwind of epic; my favorite of your reviews as well.
04:04 PM on 12/11/11
Minty Mouth
User Info.
This is a very late comment, however, 'The lights weren't that bright, but our eyes were so tired' is possibly the most beautiful sentence I have ever encountered. There's a whole story there. It's pretty astounding.
11:59 AM on 12/23/11
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
This is a very late comment, however, 'The lights weren't that bright, but our eyes were so tired' is possibly the most beautiful sentence I have ever encountered. There's a whole story there. It's pretty astounding.
This entire ep tells a story if you really open up to it. The titles can point you in any direction you want. I once contemplated creating a music video for the whole thing that centered around finalizing a long-distance relationship.
12:13 PM on 01/04/12
iotb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Funny you mention that.
A lot of Chapter 1 (and Chapter 2) is about long distance / struggling relationships of all sorts.

At least in as much as the songs can be about anything at all

Minty Mouth, I really appreciate the very kind words
07:03 PM on 01/22/12
Sean Rizzo
Can you see evidence of perfection?
User Info.
Funny you mention that.
A lot of Chapter 1 (and Chapter 2) is about long distance / struggling relationships of all sorts.

At least in as much as the songs can be about anything at all

Minty Mouth, I really appreciate the very kind words
WHERE IS MY PROMO COPY OF CHAPTER 2???

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums