AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Self-Promotion Spotlight: Departures

Posted by - 04:09 PM on 01/30/11
While taking a stroll through our Self Promotion Forum I stumbled upon New Jersey's Departures and felt they deserved this week’s Spotlight. Want a shot at your band getting similar treatment? Simply sign up for an AP.net account and make a post over in the Self Promotion Forum. For more on this week’s band in the spotlight head down to the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
04:10 PM on 01/30/11
James Johnson
Bottle Kissing Since '05
User Info.
Departures, spawned from the remnants of several North Jersey bands, sure seem to know their genre forefathers. Channeling the likes of such late great pop punk staples as Bodyjar (seriously, the spirit of Bodyjar is alive and well if their latest track "Thought Crime" is anything to go by) and all the best parts of the 1990's pop punk explosion. By following this path without sounding like a rehash of their influences or simply mimicking the current crop of pop punk bands turning heads, they give a real sense of honesty to their sound which is quite refreshing.

Fans of the genre will enjoy the ease in which Departures manage to harness the essentials; catchy hooks and infectious harmonies sprinkled generously over the up tempo pop punk beats. With bands like The Wonder Years, Transit, Man Overboard and the seemingly immortal New Found Glory keeping the pop punk torch burning brighter than ever, it is great to see a band that could potentially continue keeping this genre relevant and honest for years to come.

Hit up their Myspace for a sample of what Departures provide or make this Aussie jealous and catch one of their shows up and down the American East Coast
04:41 PM on 01/30/11
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
Great for the dudes, thought they'd never be noticed here on AP

and I just listened to them when they followed me on twitter MONTHS back hahaha good thing I did
04:49 PM on 01/30/11
James Johnson
Bottle Kissing Since '05
User Info.
Great for the dudes, thought they'd never be noticed here on AP

and I just listened to them when they followed me on twitter MONTHS back hahaha good thing I did
Any band that reminds me of Bodyjar has a place in my heart. Glad to give my first artist spotlight out to these guys, would love to see how they do live.
04:55 PM on 01/30/11
sigkid540
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Grew up with these guys and its great to see them finally getting a little bit of recognition. They're putting the finishing touches on their next EP (which includes this new song)...everyone should keep an eye out for it...its not gonna disappoint!
05:04 PM on 01/30/11
SincerelyMe
Long live the car crash hearts
User Info.
Such a solid band, glad they're getting some recognition here.
05:22 PM on 01/30/11
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Really digging these guys a lot. Great pick!
05:25 PM on 01/30/11
SwertsOnALog
Jump Jump
User Info.
Not typically what I listen to but these guys do it well. Hope they have a bright future ahead of them!
06:02 PM on 01/30/11
James Johnson
Bottle Kissing Since '05
User Info.
glad to see so many positive responses to the band, Pop Punk lives!
06:24 PM on 01/30/11
DrKirgis
Lets see what needles do
User Info.
cool band
09:29 PM on 01/30/11
whatsawoogie
User Info.
09:59 PM on 01/30/11
GBravado
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So, Doyle and I were coming home from Guitar Center tonight and my friend Sean called me and told me about this.

We are all super stoked that you guys dig our band. It means so much to us and we can only hope to keep making music for a long time. Anything you guys can do to help people hear our tunes is greatly appreciated.

You all rock.
10:03 PM on 01/30/11
James Johnson
Bottle Kissing Since '05
User Info.
So, Doyle and I were coming home from Guitar Center tonight and my friend Sean called me and told me about this.

We are all super stoked that you guys dig our band. It means so much to us and we can only hope to keep making music for a long time. Anything you guys can do to help people hear our tunes is greatly appreciated.

You all rock.
Keep up the good work! Looking forward to your next release
10:22 PM on 01/30/11
ddmk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
if you get the chance you have to go see these guys live. <3
10:12 AM on 01/31/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
pleasantly surprised.. reminds me of The Swellers