Password

Album Review

Fever Sleeves - Soft Pipes, Play On Album Cover

Fever Sleeves - Soft Pipes, Play On

Reviewed by
Fever Sleeves - Soft Pipes, Play On
Record Label: None
Release Date: March 10, 2009
A little over a minute into the distorted musings of opener "Vampyroteuthis" and Fever Sleeves is already putting their confidence on display. Not only do they proceed to quote Leonardo Da Vinci, but the song thrusts the listener into their whirlwind of jarring guitar work and unnerving vocals that bring to mind the feelings I had during my first experiences with Kid A. It is a tempest of controlled madness, and Soft Pipes, Play On only works to become progressively stranger as it barrels on to the almost mid-western emo feel of "Maximum Castles." The songs feel filled to the brim with personality, which would be an outstanding compliment if the personalities weren't oftentimes wildly different from previous songs as the album progresses.

Soft Pipes, Play On never feels as though it is completely certain about what it is trying to be. Vocalist Tony Gidlund often switches from singing in a higher pitch that feels too light-hearted for the rapid finger work of the guitars to unleashing abrasive screaming that often gives the songs an abrupt turn into darker material. This turn of tone wouldn't be so awkward if the band could choose a face to wear; for example, the light hearted bass work and airy vocals in the beginning of "Cusack" grind awkwardly against the dark material of the lyrics. "I only eat medicine these days/ Searching for something to take the blood out of my mouth/ No one else will learn my name/ Not if I have any say." Fever Sleeves have things to say that are worth hearing, the only problem is that you'll often be too busy being baffled by the constant change in musicianship to be able to grab a hold of it on first listen.

Ultimately, Soft Pipes, Play On is an album that begs for repeated listens. Not just because you'll need re-listen to the chaos just to comprehend what assault Fever Sleeves just had on your hears, but this album is mentally dense and one of the few I can list recently that needs a dark room (or a large party) and big speakers that can wash the frantic guitar work and constant time signature changes over you. For those solely interested in the experimentation and instrumental side of Fever Sleeves, the songs possess enough post-rock trappings within them to give fans of the genre incentive to try to move past the occasionally awkward vocal delivery to appreciate the depth in the instrumentation. As Fever Sleeves have created a jarring product of depth I've naturally heard murmurs of Radiohead comparisons, and while that's a huge label I'm not willing to pass on without a fight, it's not something I'd immediately disagree with either.

I can say with ease that whether it is because of the fantastic drum work of songs like "Soft Pipe Playoffs" or the Daryl Palumbo-like qualities of the occasional screaming, this album remains an interesting listen from beginning to end. It's clear Fever Sleeves didn't enter this with the intention of giving listeners a shallow experience, and as a result Soft Pipes, Play On is as complex as it is enjoyable to listen to time after time.

Recommended If You Like Snowing, Glassjaw, If This Town Needs Guns, Pianos Become The Teeth, and Look Mexico had a dark experimental child

Download For Free Herehttp://feversleeves.bandcamp.com/
This review is a user submitted review from Kbm600. You can see all of Kbm600's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
01:58 PM on 02/02/11
Mochem
User Info.
I've had this for a while...I think because of self-promotion on a certain other website's music board.
The music seems good but I can't get into it for whatever reason. I think I just need to sit down and force myself to listen to the album all the way through for once.
02:09 PM on 02/02/11
cwhit412
don't ask
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Downloaded this a while ago. Haven't listened in a long time though.
02:11 PM on 02/02/11
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I've had this for a while...I think because of self-promotion on a certain other website's music board.
The music seems good but I can't get into it for whatever reason. I think I just need to sit down and force myself to listen to the album all the way through for once.
I definitely needed repeated listens to give an accurate review. It's not something that can casually be thrown on, in my opinion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos