Password

Album Review

Theophilus London - Lovers Holiday Album Cover

Theophilus London - Lovers Holiday

Reviewed by
Theophilus LondonLovers Holiday
Release Date: February 8, 2011
Record Label: Warner Bros.
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Love can be the most amazing experience of your life, or it can be the shittiest feeling on earth. And with Valentine’s Day coming up soon, you can expect both sides of the spectrum to be heard. But no matter what side you find yourself on, Theophilus London will be there for you. You see, he has one message that he wants to spread through his music, and that message is love – whether it be positive or negative. London loves to wear his heart on his sleeve, and his Warner Bros. debut, Lovers Holiday, is proof of this. But don’t go now and compare him to Drake or Kid Cudi because that would be an injustice to the music London makes. Sure, he raps, but he isn’t your conventional hip-hop artist, and this is not your conventional hip-hop release.

You see, Lovers Holiday is a fascinating 5-track, genre-hopping journey that can’t be pigeonholed into the traditional hip-hop mindsets and rules. For long time fans, you’ve heard London’s potential in his previous three mixtapes, including the stellar I Want You. So it’s a definite treat to see all his potential and creativity come together on this EP. In the past, London may have stretched his ideas a little too thin and bitten off more than he could chew, but throughout Lovers Holiday, he discovers how to structure his ideas without stunting them. The first taste is the seductive “Why Even Try,” where London transitions from a smooth flow to holding his own singing the hook with Sara Quinn (of Tegan & Sara); all the while a funky bass line inspired by the 80’s paces the track. The EP only gets sexier with “Strange Love.” The song is huge, as London raps with bravado over a sample of Prince’s “I Would Die 4 U.”

Things get schizophrenic on the frantic “Girls, Girls, $,” as random glitches and blips flood the background. London has documented his world travels in various blogs and interviews, so it’s no surprise to hear how much influence the European electro-pop scene has on his music and this EP in particular. The Dave Sitek-produced “Wine and Chocolates” is one of the strongest cuts in London’s career, as he proves he can create great songs, regardless of genre. For his final act, London rolls out the previously released “Flying Overseas,” a slow jam dedicated to London’s love of traveling the globe. The dreamy vibe and the delicious guest vocals courtesy of Solange Knowles will make you wish you were on Spring Break right now.

Inspired by icons such as Marvin Gaye, London is not only documenting how he views love in 2011, but also how he interprets and uses various genres to portray his message and create something daring and unique. With Lovers Holiday, Theophilus London is pumping fresh blood into the heart of pop music.

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
12:59 AM on 02/04/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
The first Drewbie review of the new year. Good stuff.
04:03 AM on 02/04/11
jonnointherough
Elation
User Info.
I do like this review! It was lovely. I hear a lot of Prince in this fella, but he is perhaps more lyrical and cerebral.
05:49 AM on 02/04/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Looks like I should check this out. Solid review
07:12 AM on 02/04/11
absoluut
im 12 and what is this
User Info.
i love theophilus london. he makes some really good and fresh stuff. i'll definitely be checking this out.
07:19 AM on 02/04/11
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
sounds good. I Want You was a little out there, but interesting. I'll probably check it out.
08:05 AM on 02/04/11
lovelesscrux
(wanted with the southside)
User Info.
Great review. Theophilus is one of my favorite artists, this makes me happy. oh and spin.com has his EP streaming with track by track breakdowns.
08:35 AM on 02/04/11
bobby runs
I dunno
User Info.
Does anyone know where this will be available?
09:02 AM on 02/04/11
say ocean
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This guy is a monster. This EP is ridiculously good.
09:04 AM on 02/04/11
Ian Walker
wes craven with x cravings.
User Info.
Great job, Drew. Can't wait to get my hands on this.
09:12 AM on 02/04/11
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Does anyone know where this will be available?

Digital release - amazon, iTunes have preorders for it already
10:01 AM on 02/04/11
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
Never heard anything from this guy. Should change that.
10:22 AM on 02/04/11
williek311
User Info.
Glad to see you do a review of this Drew. Dude definitely deserves the love. This EP is is awesome.
07:46 PM on 02/04/11
mwheeler1987
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This EP is great. Good to see Theophilus is getting the recognition he deserves.
01:53 PM on 02/05/11
benjaminnewton
Bangin'
User Info.
i know you said not to compare it to cudi, but let's be honest, it's kinda similar. mind you, this ep is shitloads better than man on the moon II

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos