1. How did you get your band name?
I was interested in playing shows alone, but was afraid to use my own name. I started noticing how often the phrase "make it" was said on television, in school, in conversation, so I chose to switch some letters up, throw a 'the' in front, and here I lie, The Maykit.
2. How did this band get started?
I was always interested in the quieter side of things. I thought the way of quieter expression (though I love louder music) was better and more fitting for me than being overly loud. I bought an acoustic guitar and started writing/recording and teaming up with friends, and now I play shows and have a record out.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
neil young, leonard cohen, jimmy hendrix, classical, nick drake, cursive, the cure, 65 days of static
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Tim Kasher would be a lot of fun. Nick Drake would be so calming to listen to every night. M ward is pretty damn awesome. Devon Williams was a lot of fun to play with before so a whole tour would rule. Laura Gibson because shes amazing. A weather because they are great. Murder by death rules too.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
ha, well I don't know if there are aquatic furries but I'd be a shark because they are scary ass underwater monsters. If that's not an option, then probably a chupacabre.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think the music I play is nice for driving. Lyrically I think its like reading a nice book your friend gave you that has coffee stains on it. I just think there's a time for music like mine that everyone goes through on a weekly basis, and that's why it's in existence.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I'd say probably "Another Song (nothing new)" but the people would also have to play the violin part. It would be pretty hard, but I think my little brother could do it.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
All the authors I read, my friends, family, the sun, water, and space aliens.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
The one thing that bothers me is not being able to trust people who are supposed to pay you after the shows you play. Also, it would be nice to make festivals good again.
10. Memorable tour experience?
After playing in Nebraska, we went for a drink at some cowboy style bar and I got stuck in a movie style bar fight. Tables were flying, the band kept playing, a sea of people were shoving and pulling their arms back threatening to punch. I ended up pinned against the bar by a big wooden table after trying to escape. It was pretty nuts. Everyone got out of there safe, though, which is good.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I think it's a good, unbiased website that allows its users to really find what they like instead of being told what band has the most money backing them. So, in that sense, it means a lot to me.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now it's an unreleased song called "Fantasma" which will be on the next record.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I've always liked that tiny place they call New York City. But if we're talking outside of the US, I like Mexico or Honduras.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Michael Jackson because of my old next door neighbor, The Beatles because of my parents, and TLC because of MTV.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
It would be the superpower of mind reading. Is that a superpower? If we're talking comic book superpower, anything that saves people would work for me.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I enjoy what I do, and people are starting to pay attention. I feel I have a long way to go, but if it stopped today I would say it was a good time.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
A lot of people think I seem really unhappy, and lyrically its an understandable assumption, but I'm actually a pretty happy fun person to be around. I love everyone.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. I like seeing my family and friends and having a ton of wine and conversations with them.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
In my spare time I like to read and write stories, have drinks, watch movies and 30 rock, and play call of duty with my little brother (even though I am not so good). I work another job so I don't have a ton of spare time right now.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I also engineer on some records, can juggle and can solve the rubix cube.